Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Addison - the revolution has begun

I must say that we do look a different side with the attack on the ball with Boyd, Hahn, Addison & Callan. it must be like Xmas for rocket to have a few hard nuts to throw around.

by years end who knows they may all improve yet again and be the back bone of the side.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm not in total disagreeance here. I've liked most of Callan's work so far, but I'm still not sure he's in our best 22. The first WCE goal the other night when he should have marked easily or at least rushed a behind but went under the ball and in the end didn't even contest with Wirrpanda, his opponent. It's this type of occasional lapse that keeps my nagging doubts there. In fairness though he's earned his spot so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as the season goes on. There's definitely a spot for him to do the job on small forwards if he can.
    Pretty much sums it up well.

The thing Callan has going for him, regardless of his ability to play the game, is that we don't have too many options for the backline as far as small-medium defenders are concerned. Pushing Griffen up to the middle and trading McMahon has meant that as long as he's doing OK, he's going to get a game most weeks. Obviously his aggression and courage is fantastic, and to his credit he makes space and tends to find the ball a bit, but his disposal is ordinary & regularly miss reads the flight of the ball IE. the Wirrapanda situation. A few times he's been lucky not to give away a free kick by jumping into his opponents back, as the ball came in too long, yet he's still jumped and fallen sqaure into his opponents back. Seems to have gotten away with this a few times and pinned on others. Either way, it worries me - this and his disposal is what keeps him from being a really good pick-up. To be fair, he's doing OK at the moment and has earnt his spot. Hopefully he continues to improve and can polish up on a few of his regular mistakes, but I too have doubts on whether he's truly in our best 22.

I must admit though, Callan is playing much better than he was in the pre-season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I must say that we do look a different side with the attack on the ball with Boyd, Hahn, Addison & Callan. it must be like Xmas for rocket to have a few hard nuts to throw around.

by years end who knows they may all improve yet again and be the back bone of the side.
    Very fair point. I think most coaches appreciate a few tough nuts that will do some of the grunt work and throw themselves around.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he run and carry is good. Clearly he is better by hand than foot but the side will pick up on this and run with him to do the finishing work ie Gilbee's goal on the weekend. I don't think at his age the kicking will improve more than 10/20% but I take that over Jordy any day.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very impressed with Addison,Callan and Wight. The was no way I would have had them in the top 22 seven weeks ago. If they consistantly play as well as they have for the last 2 weeks then they should keep there spot.

To me Addisons Tackling is a real highlight. I think he may have played one of the rugby codes. I think his skills seems to have improved.

The real test will be how they perform against Geelong Hawthorn and Sydney. Let hope they keep it up.

Farren Ray was very good in the pre season game against North. I hope he can regain that form.

Pressure to obtain and keep a spot is a great thing to see. The only bad thing could be if someone takes out a teammate by going too hard to impress in competitive drills at training.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think that Callan may not have a spot when other 'preferred players' are fit and ready. I think it is erroneous to think that because Callan is going ok that he will be picked each week. I still believe three players (Williams, Ray and Everitt) should come into this team at some stage. Callan goes hard because he knows he is living on borrowed time and that;s all he really has, he lacks skills and decision making and he is looking ok atm because he is playing in a winning team. If you contest this if Williams, Ray and Everitt are all pushing for selection with excellent form for Willi who do you drop to bring them in? I feel Callan will be the scapegoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    I doubt Callan will be in the team come finals time (if we make it), he will be a 'back up' player.
    Think he is a tad slow and his kicking isnt great. Only one of Addison/Callan will be in the full strength team, and i think it will be Addison.
    It's pleasing to see you add some detail instead of just the normal throw away one liners.

Callan was always going to be a depth player and if we had a full list then he would miss out. Addison has come along nicely and just needs to fix up his kicking skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt Callan will be in the team come finals time (if we make it), he will be a 'back up' player.
    In all honesty he's a back-up player at the moment. I wouldn't consider him in our best 22, and yes, his disposal leaves a little to be desired, but at the moment he is in form that warrants a spot in the side, and that's good enough for me.

If we still have injury concerns come finals time there's no reason he won't play.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think the value of Callan (and possible Addison) might be greater in the finals. Callan has had a number of truly inspirational moments that lift the whole team, and finals football tends to be more physical.

Given Callan's preseason matches, I'm rapt by what he's shown so far. He's got some clear weaknesses with his disposal and seems to misread the flight of the ball early in games, but he's actually had the better of a host of small, quick, clever types who tend to destroy us. I had great doubts he could make it in the backline, and have been nervous most weeks with his match-ups, but really pleased with his results.

His decision-making has also improved as he's settled into the side. He's run the ball a bit and been ok, and has tended to spot up his targets kicking to safe-ish places, generally up the wings. I don't think he'll ever be a playmaker, or overly damaging by hand or foot, but he's helped our defense out no end so far.

Re Addison - clearly his decision-making still needs some work, but I have some hope it might. In the past he's tried to do a bit much and get away with things he can in the reserves, but he's starting to show he can pick and choose his moments a bit more. His courage is great, and he also has the hardness which we need if we're to challenge for a flag. He does, however, need to keep improving his decision-making to stay in the team if our list gets healthier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I still believe three players (Williams, Ray and Everitt) should come into this team at some stage.
    No love for Higgins 1eye? Just remind all your non-Doggies mates, we have 4 first round draft picks out injured at the moment!

Callan and Addison are both doing a good job at the moment. I love the way that they attack the ball and the opposition. I think they both have reasonable skills - but I also believe they are prone to making the occasional bonehead decision that costs us possession and goals...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Higgins he has had the longest week on record, 4 weeks ago he was out for 12-14 weeks i looked the other day and he is still out for 12-14 weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Poor Higgins he has had the longest week on record, 4 weeks ago he was out for 12-14 weeks i looked the other day and he is still out for 12-14 weeks!
    Who pays any mind to what is reported about injuries to the Bulldogs players ? It's never accurate and Higgins was on the radio heaps last weekend talking about when he thinks he will be back. I must have heard him interviewed 5 times.

Back to Addison, does anyone think he could eventually play as a forward or has he been type cast as a defender and midfielder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Who pays any mind to what is reported about injuries to the Bulldogs players ? It's never accurate and Higgins was on the radio heaps last weekend talking about when he thinks he will be back. I must have heard him interviewed 5 times.

Back to Addison, does anyone think he could eventually play as a forward or has he been type cast as a defender and midfielder ?
    I think eventually you will be able to see him play anywhere, much like Cooney, Griffen, and to a certain extent, Ray (who I think could also be useful up forward or down back).

At the moment his best run in as a mid or defender as he can be led to the ball and doesn't have to worry so much about flair and creativity, he can get the job done and play his role. Due to his fine tackling skills though, I think he'd be a real asset at ground level in the forward line. He's also pretty fearless and not bad overhead for mine, so probably has some good assets for playing in the forward line.

At the moment there is no real need for him to go in though, so will probably remain playing defender/midfielder for the course of the year I'd say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I see him as midfielder long term, maybe a little more run-with in a Boyd type role, he wont be purely lock down because when he chooses to use it his run & carry is quite good. He could easily become a goal per game type midfielder however take one of the better opposition playmakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I see him as midfielder long term, maybe a little more run-with in a Boyd type role, he wont be purely lock down because when he chooses to use it his run & carry is quite good. He could easily become a goal per game type midfielder however take one of the better opposition playmakers.
    I agree although he could quite easily be a behind per game mid unless his kicking improves. He's still developing and should be a pretty solid player ideal for a run with role. Can't see him as a forward. seems an ideal mid/hbf.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me