Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Herald Scum

Post Thanks / Like

The Herald Scum

I'm not in the habit of abusing newspapers, occasionally I will get irate about a football writer's statements but today's Herald Bulldogs match review is a Barry Crocker and Jon Ralph is usual suspect. Ralph's best players afield yesterday for the Dogs were (in order) Cooney, Johnson, Giansiracusa, EAGLETON, LAKE, Boyd and Morris. No Hahn (he never is in the best), no Callan and no Murphy. No problem with The Coon and Johnno (even Guido) at the top but Eagleton being the 4th best Bulldog on the ground is an insult to the guys who actually spilt red, white and blue yesterday to get us across the line.

Let's look at the stats;

Nathan Eagleton (14 disposals, 71% effective, 0 contested marks, 1 contested possie, 4 clearances, 0 tackles, 1 goal).

Brian Lake (11 disposals, 82% effective, 0 contested marks, 1 contested possie, 0 clearances, 0 tackles, 0 goals).

Mitch Hahn (18 disposals, 67% effective, 2 contested marks, 9 contested possies, 1 clearance, 2 tackles, 2 goals, and 5 inside 50s).

Tim Callan (21 disposals, 57% effective, 1 contested mark, 10 contested possies, 2 tackles, 1 goal).

It seems that the writers at the Herald Sun simply want to be entertained rather than appreciate hard at it footy, no wonder outsiders like Buckley have received so much good press over the years! How do these people get this job?

camwoof Guest

Re: The Herald Scum

agree, great observation. It is like they look at who scores the most fantasy football points and then name their best from that.

Post Thanks / Like

Do they just look at effective possessions?

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy and Hahn were good in patches. Murphy set us up in the second quarter, but was shut out of the game in the second half. Hahn was his normal bullocking style, but I wouldn't say in the best. Callan was fantastic and agree Eagleton could have done more and should not have been named in the best. In fact two vital mistakes in the last quarter nearly cost us the game, thenn he redeemed himself with the last goal.

As for Guido, I thought he played a great game with 18 kicks and 8 handballs, yet a lot of our WOOF posters didn't give him a vote.

camwoof Guest

That game was made for Hahn with his bullocking style

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not in the habit of abusing newspapers, occasionally I will get irate about a football writer's statements but today's Herald Bulldogs match review is a Barry Crocker and Jon Ralph is usual suspect. Ralph's best players afield yesterday for the Dogs were (in order) Cooney, Johnson, Giansiracusa, EAGLETON, LAKE, Boyd and Morris. No Hahn (he never is in the best), no Callan and no Murphy. No problem with The Coon and Johnno (even Guido) at the top but Eagleton being the 4th best Bulldog on the ground is an insult to the guys who actually spilt red, white and blue yesterday to get us across the line.

Let's look at the stats;

Nathan Eagleton (14 disposals, 71% effective, 0 contested marks, 1 contested possie, 4 clearances, 0 tackles, 1 goal).

Brian Lake (11 disposals, 82% effective, 0 contested marks, 1 contested possie, 0 clearances, 0 tackles, 0 goals).

Mitch Hahn (18 disposals, 67% effective, 2 contested marks, 9 contested possies, 1 clearance, 2 tackles, 2 goals, and 5 inside 50s).

Tim Callan (21 disposals, 57% effective, 1 contested mark, 10 contested possies, 2 tackles, 1 goal).

It seems that the writers at the Herald Sun simply want to be entertained rather than appreciate hard at it footy, no wonder outsiders like Buckley have received so much good press over the years! How do these people get this job?
    Totally agree, in fact when I saw Eagle named as 4th best, I had to look twice as I thought I was looking in the goalscorers column. I neearly pulled my hair out when Eagle turned it over in the dying minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Murphy and Hahn were good in patches. Murphy set us up in the second quarter, but was shut out of the game in the second half. Hahn was his normal bullocking style, but I wouldn't say in the best. Callan was fantastic and agree Eagleton could have done more and should not have been named in the best. In fact two vital mistakes in the last quarter nearly cost us the game, thenn he redeemed himself with the last goal.

As for Guido, I thought he played a great game with 18 kicks and 8 handballs, yet a lot of our WOOF posters didn't give him a vote.
    Eagleton got fed that goal (by Callan?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Totally agree, in fact when I saw Eagle named as 4th best, I had to look twice as I thought I was looking in the goalscorers column. I neearly pulled my hair out when Eagle turned it over in the dying minutes.
    Yep I know, I screamed his name out in the match day thread.

Post Thanks / Like

effective possesions don't tell the whole story really.
    it's working on percentages of totals, and we aren't talking high numbers here so 1 errant kick can change percentage by more than 10% for example.

Mitch hahn isn't a high possesion getter and most of his kick are under pressure (usually when he's got 3 players hanging on to him!) so of course he's not going to be high up there on the ratings.

Someone like eagleton will gather easy short kicks often, therefore his percentage will be much higher. What it doesn't tell you about eagleton is that he made 2 collosal blunders that went straight to opposition and resulted in goals. The last one put sydney back in the game in the last quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah I didn't give him a vote, but I thought it was one of Gia's best games for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yeah I didn't give him a vote, but I thought it was one of Gia's best games for quite a while.
    I just do not like seeing him in the back half, gets caught out of position too often. Remember the McVeigh mark?

Post Thanks / Like

If it wasnt for Cooney and Hahn we wouldve been rolled. Hahn is having a stellar year imo, with his hardness and toughness at the ball. How many times does he keep the ball alive when others would be happy to just contain it.

Hats off to him. He looks fit and hungry, something he didnt look last year for obvious reasons.

Well done mitch.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was Hahn's best ever game. He killed them, the way he was attacking the ball, scared them, took marks, kicked goals, broke packs, etc . It was very intimidating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I just do not like seeing him in the back half, gets caught out of position too often. Remember the McVeigh mark?
    One error

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Eagleton got fed that goal (by Callan?)
    Johnno passed iot to him.