Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Club captains

Post Thanks / Like

Club captains

I dont know all the club captains but some i do know does baffle me how they were chosen.
    Was just doing a thought procees on which positions are the best if you are a captain of a club?
    Matthew Lloyd for example to me is a no brainer as a captain because of his playing position, when a club is getting beat you need your captain leading by example, standing at full forward is not going to help as he cannot do anything about it and relies on other players to get it to him.
    Yes i know Johnno is our captain and plays at full forward but he also is a mid field player and can be put where we need him.
    Lloyd does go into defence but is just not an in and out of packs player who cant do something inspirational unless at full forward.
    Could someone post all the captains up and maybe we could go through them all on our thoughts and at the end of the day come to a call on who is the best captain and where should they play?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club captains

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I dont know all the club captains but some i do know does baffle me how they were chosen.
    Was just doing a thought procees on which positions are the best if you are a captain of a club?
    Matthew Lloyd for example to me is a no brainer as a captain because of his playing position, when a club is getting beat you need your captain leading by example, standing at full forward is not going to help as he cannot do anything about it and relies on other players to get it to him.
    Yes i know Johnno is our captain and plays at full forward but he also is a mid field player and can be put where we need him.
    Lloyd does go into defence but is just not an in and out of packs player who cant do something inspirational unless at full forward.
    Could someone post all the captains up and maybe we could go through them all on our thoughts and at the end of the day come to a call on who is the best captain and where should they play?
    Why can't you?

Post Thanks / Like

BRISBANE LIONS: Luke Power
    The critics might believe it’s another year of developing the kids up at the Brisbane Lions, but Luke Power – one of the club’s four co-captains for 2008 – says there’s plenty to like about the youthful looking side being put together by master coach Leigh Matthews.

“We’ve had some great years in the past, followed by some pretty lean years lately, but that’s the challenge to get ourselves up to where we’ve been in the past and to hopefully have some more success and play some finals footy,” Power said.

CARLTON: Chris Judd
    The expression ‘awkward’ isn’t something you usually associate with Judd, but the new Carlton skipper admits his elevation to captaincy roles – first at West Coast and now at Carlton – has been exactly that.

“It was a bit of an awkward situation, and if I look back to how I got the job at West Coast, it was a pretty awkward one there as well, but I was really happy at how that turned out,” he said.

“I felt it was something there that was really worthwhile, so I guess I reflected on that experience and that played a big part in why I decided to take it on.”

“One of the big things in choosing Carlton was the amount of young kids we’ve got down there, and just being able to play with them and watch their development in the years to come is going to be pretty special.”

COLLINGWOOD: Scott Burns
    The Pies have better depth than last year, says their new skipper.

Burns said the club's "internal pressure" was helping create a Collingwood list that was placing great expectations on the 22 representing the Pies each round.

"To me [internal pressure] was the main reason why we – I wouldn't say [had] success –but was the reason why we got to grand finals in '02 and '03," he said.

"There were times when [former players] Rupert Betheras, Glenn Freeborn and Heath Scotland were playing reserves and they were easily good enough to play in our seniors and be in the best players, so we're starting to get that again.

"The best thing for us was having those injuries in a lot of ways, so we could blood those players and we really want them to take the next step.

“It doesn't matter whether you're a one- or two-year player, middle-tier or a senior player – if you're not going to try and improve your footy, you might be under the pump a bit this year at Collingwood."

ESSENDON: Matthew Lloyd
    Lloyd has been critical about the lack of off-field discipline shown of some of his teammates during the past few years, but says he’s been delighted with the strict approach adopted by the club over summer.

“I think we were being a bit lenient in the past and I think things just snowballed a little bit and now I think everyone knows what’s right and wrong, and what’s expected of the group,” he said.

“Just for the first year players coming into the club, once you get on top of things early, you don’t have any issues from there and they sort of train themselves.”

“We thought we’d get on top of these things now so we won’t have any issues in the long run.”

FREMANTLE: Matthew Pavlich
    While Pavlich was one of 14 captains in an AFL survey to tip the Cats to for back-to-back flags, he’s confident his side is ready for their own assault on the premiership under new coach Mark Harvey. “With Harvs having had seven weeks at the helm at the end of last year and then being given the role, he was already able to put his stamp on how the club was going to be and how we were going to play,” Pavlich said.

“That’s a bit more evident than it was when we first came back to training. We’re very settled now. We’ve been training for 18 or 20 weeks now, so it’s a long time.”

Pavlich says fans’ expectations for 2008 are matched by the players’.

“I think the expectation we put on ourselves is the biggest thing we have to deal with. I think the guys set themselves high standards and living up to those is hard enough.”

GEELONG: Tom Harley
    Harley says nothing has changed at the Cattery despite last year’s grand final showing his team is 20 goals better than the second-best side in the competition.

“I had dreams of being a premiership player this time 12 months ago and I’ve got them again, so it’s funny how the world turns,” Harley said.

“We’ll just go forward and go about our business the best we can.”

Some would question whether a side that won last year’s decider by 119 points could improve, although Harley has no doubts.

“Yeah, I think we can always be better,” he said.

“We were coming off a very limited base last year and we made massive gains in terms of just our fitness levels and things like that.

“It’s hard to make the same quantum sort-of-leap but I think we’ve definitely made gains going forward.”

HAWTHORN: Sam Mitchell
    With the Hawks having played finals football last year for the first time since 2001, Mitchell says the club has high expectations for the coming season.

“As a team last year we weren’t sure of how we were going to go, and we ended up being capable of playing some good footy.

“This year we’ve got more expectations of the type of way we’re capable of playing.

“If we can play that, I think we can win a lot of games of footy. Whether that takes us to the top four, I’m not sure.

“We’ve been together as a team for three years now, with the move to Waverley and a new coaching system.

“I think we’ve evolved together so I think finally now it’s starting to come good – whether that’s good enough we’ll have to find out.”

MELBOURNE: David Neitz
    Neitz says the Demons' tough new disciplinary code will eventually lift their on-field performance, but admits it might have made things tougher in the opening round.

Neitz said the new player-instigated code of conduct was strict, but it would have long-term benefits for their football.

"I think the transfer will come across in the fact that it's a discipline-type thing, hopefully it will encourage guys to hold their peers to account, not just in off-field, but in on-field roles and things like that as well," Neitz said.

"One of the big things that comes out of it is a communication thing, it wasn't necessarily just the leadership group involved in the decisions that we've made.

"We've included the wider group and it's involved a lot of forthright discussion and hopefully that translates out onto what we're doing on the footy field."

NORTH MELBOURNE: Adam Simpson
    Simpson is "not surprised" just one rival AFL captain nominated North Melbourne to make this year's top eight, despite the fact the Kangaroos finished third and played off in a preliminary final last year.

"People think we play above our expectations and one good year probably doesn't prove a lot - we've got to back it up. In '06 we were 14th and I don't think the media or betting [rates us] - we're three dollars to make the eight [this year]," Simpson said.

Simpson pointed to Sydney as a recent example his team could follow in order to gain greater recognition in the football fraternity.

"I think it took them [Sydney] a good three or four years before they got any recognition and I think that's how we've got to look at it," Simpson said.

"If we don't back it up this year then everyone will [say]: 'It was one out of the box' - that's the way I look at it. I'm not really surprised."

RICHMOND: Kane Johnson
    Johnson said the Tigers playing group was not affected by constant criticism and low expectations from outside the club.

“We try to read as little as possible because all that matters is what we’re saying internally and how we’re going about our business,” he said.

“That’s all we can concentrate on. If you can concentrate on the little things and get them right hopefully you can get the ball rolling.

“It does [frustrate me] at times but you can’t get caught up in it.”

Johnson said there had been no discussion about end-of-season ladder positions among the players.

“We haven’t really set any benchmarks other than wanting to win round one,” he said.

“We just want to go after Carlton and go from there. I don’t think you can set too many goals except internally and get your game plan right and your structures.”

ST KILDA: Nick Riewoldt
    The Saints’ new skipper said there was a growing sense of familiarity at Moorabbin as Ross Lyon approached his second season as coach.

“Like players you grow with experience and I think right across the board our coaching staff is more confident this year,” he said. “They’re surer in themselves and the game plan.

“I think when you have more time to practice and grow into it, the coaches have learnt more about us as players as well. We’re all growing into it.”

While Riewoldt has already had two years as captain, he said that it felt no different now that it was on a long-term basis.

“It’s only been a day so it’s still taking a bit of time to sink in.

“If that’s the way the club wants to go with a more permanent role, then I support that.

“It’s still our responsibility as leaders of the club to make sure the leaders are coming on from underneath and growing all the time. Hopefully there is someone in a few years who is good enough to take over the role.”

SYDNEY SWANS: Brett Kirk
    Co-captain Kirk says the playing list is paying no attention to the widespread notion that the team is a spent force.

“I don’t think we read too much into it,” he said.

“I think the expectation isn’t as high as it has been in previous years, but that’s not going to change the way that we approach things.

“We’re not going to look at it any differently… far out, I wouldn’t be stepping out in a team that wasn’t going to be competitive. That’s the way we play football and that’s what I’ll be expecting from the player group.”

“We had our guernsey presentation the other night and he walked up the steps pretty well,” Kirk said.

WEST COAST: Darren Glass
    Since his appointment over summer as the new West Coast captain, the softly-spoken Glass knows he is now the main man at West Coast.

“It’s a challenging role but it’s a role I’m enjoying,” Glass said at the AFL captains’ day at Telstra Dome.

“I certainly believe in this player group, that they can achieve success on and off the field.”

Glass scoffed at predictions of a West Coast decline in the post-Judd and Cousins era, saying there was a more than capable support crew ready to step up.

“We had the second half of last year without Chris Judd and the majority of the year without Ben Cousins,” Glass said.

“Some guys got some terrific exposure and experience last year - guys like Matty Priddis and Matt Rosa.

“We haven’t had to start afresh. We’ve also got guys like Shannon Hurn and someone like Chaddy Fletcher coming [back] after an injury-interrupted season last year. It’s not going to be as drastic as what people imagine.”

WESTERN BULLDOGS: Brad Johnson
    Johnson will play his 300th senior match against Adelaide in the side’s season opener on March 23, but all the champion forward wants is a good performance from the Doggies.

“We’re just super keen to start well,” Johnson said at Telstra Dome on Thursday.

“You know, if we get off to a good start, hopefully then we can hold it and learn on a few things from last year.

Johnson said his young team had dropped away badly towards the end of 2007 but after a big off-season Bulldogs fans could expect good things in the early rounds.

“We are ready to go,” he said.

“We’ve had a good summer and we’re all fit and ready to go, so it should be a good first-up match.

“Our form’s been fairly good … we started off okay and we’ve built from there.

“We had a poor game against the Bombers I suppose in [the] NAB Cup, but our other performances have been very good,” he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why can't you?
    Cos i am lazy and i think i know a few others who enjoy looking up things.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1eyedog , so whats your thoughts on the questions i put up?
    where should they play, who is the best captain and why?
    Also if they arent the best leaders at the club who should be and why?

I think Essendonn would be better served with Mc Veigh he is a goer and tries all day

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for such a big post, it just gives a little insight into each Captain off the field, which is why some captains are chosen. Tom Harley is not a star, he is articulate, brave on the field and a real mate off the field and someone who all other Geelong players respect. That's why he is captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont Geelong have a heap to choose from ! Scary.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1eyedog , so whats your thoughts on the questions i put up?
    where should they play, who is the best captain and why?
    Look IMO it's the guys who aren't stars, guys like Simpson and Harley who are solid contributors but who you can tell the rest of the team just respects so much. An interesting question is as a captain how do you get the most out of your troops? By on field heroics that inspire them and lead by example or from complete and utter respect because of what type of man you are. I don't think the Carlton players respect what kind of man Judd is atm as he has only just arrived at the club and has to prove himself. Likewise Glass, I just never see him standing up for any of his team mates. Remember the Barry Hall incident? Glass just tapped Hall on the bum saying thanks for the free kick, weak as a wet rag Glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I genuinely think that Johnno's the best. When we are in trouble it is him who so often steps up to the plate with a captain's goal or 80 metre run down the wing with the ball heading towards goals or 80m lead to provide the next link in the chain. He is also the equal most experienced.

If I had to chose any other I would go for Pavlich or Riewoldt or maybe Mitchell in a few years.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I might get a belting here but Riewoldt? was listening to SEN a few weeks ago and someone asked what has he done? never kicked a bag, never won a game off his own boot, a lot of hype but not a lot of delivery, looks like the quiet type to me not the captain type.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Pavlich but i cant go past Bell, now theres a genius, how he ever got let go by any clubs is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

I might get a belting here but Riewoldt? was listening to SEN a few weeks ago and someone asked what has he done? never kicked a bag, never won a game off his own boot, a lot of hype but not a lot of delivery, looks like the quiet type to me not the captain type.
    You don't have to kick a bag to win a game off your own boot. Riewoldt is one of the hardest working players in the competition IMO and he well and truly sets the standard for his team. He is very consistent, usually kicking 1-4 goals and getting 15-20+ disposals, and I'd rather a consistent player than a player who kicks "a bag" one week and then vanishes the next, especially when they're your captain. I think the perception is that he is a quiet player but looking at the passionate addresses he gives his players at the beginning of games its just not true. He reminds me a lot of Darce in how he speaks actually, never arrogant and full of praise for others when not in the heat of battle, but when in the heat of battle fired up and trying to spread the passion throughout the team.

Sorry ledge but a very good captain IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Pavlich but i cant go past Bell, now theres a genius, how he ever got let go by any clubs is beyond me.
    I agree in respect to Bell, very underrated, consistent, passionate, can do everything including kicking the important goals despite being a midfielder. Nearing the end of his career though which is why they handed it to Pavlich who is more than able of leading his team even though they're hopeless (touch wood playing them next round).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    You don't have to kick a bag to win a game off your own boot. Riewoldt is one of the hardest working players in the competition IMO and he well and truly sets the standard for his team. He is very consistent, usually kicking 1-4 goals and getting 15-20+ disposals, and I'd rather a consistent player than a player who kicks "a bag" one week and then vanishes the next, especially when they're your captain. I think the perception is that he is a quiet player but looking at the passionate addresses he gives his players at the beginning of games its just not true. He reminds me a lot of Darce in how he speaks actually, never arrogant and full of praise for others when not in the heat of battle, but when in the heat of battle fired up and trying to spread the passion throughout the team.

Sorry ledge but a very good captain IMO.
    Just mentioning something i heard on SEN which happened to be from a saints supporter.
    Do think a centre half forward/ centre half back or a centreline player is the way to go with a captain though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just mentioning something i heard on SEN which happened to be from a saints supporter.
    Do think a centre half forward/ centre half back or a centreline player is the way to go with a captain though.
    I honestly don't think position or skill ability matters when choosing a captain, while Riewoldt, Pavlich etc are the best players in their teams look at Simpson and Harley, clearly not the best players in their team yet they are still captains. In all my football as a junior and as a senior player I cannot remember a club (and I played for 6 0r 7) where the best player in the team was our captain. IMO, it depends on what type of bloke you are, that everyone respects you and that you are solid and brave, thus leading the way for the young ones.