Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Club captains

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club captains

Interesting question Ledge

Believe that it depends on the kind of captain you are after. As someone has already mentioned, you have those that lift the team through action, and you have those who lead the team through character.

If it is to be the 1st, position's can become important. A captain needs to be able to communicate with players, which makes me think someone like Scott West may have been overlooked. Hard to communicate on the bottom of a pack. This is where you see players like Pavlich, who despite being able to go into the middle, is a gamewinner AND plays a role that allows him to communicate in regards to the game.

The 2nd is your Tom Harleys, the tough, hard-at-it players that give it all every week. They may not be flashy, and they may not be able to turn a game like any other, but there leadership and the respect they demand seperates them.

Specifically from the Bulldogs:

1st Category: Cooney, Griffen, Murphy
    2nd Cateogry: Boyd, Morris, Gia, Callan even

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it every players responsibility to try to get you over the line in a close one?

All a captain has to do is toss the coin and talk to the media without embarassing anyone.

Captains of cricket teams are important but football team's captains have been irrelevant sine umpires started handing out the free kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Isn't it every players responsibility to try to get you over the line in a close one?

All a captain has to do is toss the coin and talk to the media without embarassing anyone.

Captains of cricket teams are important but football team's captains have been irrelevant sine umpires started handing out the free kicks.
    It's a vastly overrated on field position as far as I am concerned. Sure if you you get a guy like Voss it might inspire some others but it's more about their leadership skills and media presence leading into a match than it is on game day.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

What about Spiritual Leaders Sockeye?

Where do you stand on the coodabeens Spiritual Leaders?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    What about Spiritual Leaders Sockeye?

Where do you stand on the coodabeens Spiritual Leaders?
    You don't have to have a (c) after your name to be a leader, spiritual or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to have a (c) after your name to be a leader, spiritual or otherwise.
    Interesting, earlier this year when the players voted & elevated Dale morris & Matthew Boyd to the leadership group a number that missed out approached Rocket. His response, 'You don't have to be in the leadership group to be a leader!'

Post Thanks / Like

A fullback as a captain?
    This is a very touchy one as the last thing you want is a captain giving away a free kick and a goal being scored, all free kicks given away by a full back are blown up ten fold.
    Yes he is in the thick of it when your in trouble, but also he is leading from the back not the front.
    Lake is a prime example of both good and bad, he can stream down forward and kick a goal, causeing inspiration, but can you imagine what it would be like if he gave away a free kick 2 min later and it leads to a goal against?
    A hard position to captain from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Interesting, earlier this year when the players voted & elevated Dale morris & Matthew Boyd to the leadership group a number that missed out approached Rocket. His response, 'You don't have to be in the leadership group to be a leader!'
    Good statement. by the time you reach AFL you should be a leader of some sort anyway, but in the end you have to pick one over the rest as captain.
    Thats where i think position, player respect, football smarts and communication come into it.
    Looking at the list of captains is there any that surprise you and is there other players in those teams you think would be better choices?
    Matthew Lloyd as i mentioned is one i dont believe is right for the job, mainly because of his position in a team which is rebuilding, he is stuck at full forward watching.
    His football smarts are great,obviously he has player respect, communication i dont know i havent experienced his way of doing it.
    I think you have to tick all those boxes to be a captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Good statement. by the time you reach AFL you should be a leader of some sort anyway, but in the end you have to pick one over the rest as captain.
    Thats where i think position, player respect, football smarts and communication come into it.
    Looking at the list of captains is there any that surprise you and is there other players in those teams you think would be better choices?
    Matthew Lloyd as i mentioned is one i dont believe is right for the job, mainly because of his position in a team which is rebuilding, he is stuck at full forward watching.
    His football smarts are great,obviously he has player respect, communication i dont know i havent experienced his way of doing it.
    I think you have to tick all those boxes to be a captain.
    Why?

Brisbane has about 5 don't they? Sydney had 3 the year they won the premiership (I wonder how they decided who would get presented the cup?).

It's a token gesture for the fans, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree teams do pick more than 1 but you will find that even one of them will lead the others,an ego or personality will come to the fore.
    Might sound strange, but if i played for a team and we had no captain, it just wouldnt sit right.
    Can you imagine playing in a football team and having no captain?

MikeSheahan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sorry for such a big post, it just gives a little insight into each Captain off the field, which is why some captains are chosen. Tom Harley is not a star, he is articulate, brave on the field and a real mate off the field and someone who all other Geelong players respect. That's why he is captain.
    Enjoyed reading the post. Did you leave out the SA clubs for a reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Mick.
    I think tredrea is one isnt he?
    Now there is a shocking choice.
    Watched this bloke for years, so far up himself its a wonder he hasnt got himself pregnant .
    The worst team signs i have ever seen
    Watch if he takes a mark, never have i seen him look up for options, he stops , doesnt even turn around , walks back takes his glove off and has a shot.
    If he does kick it, he never runs up and thanks his deliverer, they run up to him.
    Only handballs away in play when has no other option.
    We laugh about Bartlett and him never handballing but Tredrea is seriously bad .
    The most arrogant looking footballer i have ever seen.
    The Crows are great at picking there captains and always have been, i think its Goodwin now, blokes like Riccuto, Bickley,and ones before him have always been hard on the ball players, extrememly good at breeding captains, a lot of clubs must notice this.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think that Riewoldt is a good captain as he is not media savvy. He has a good motor and i would love him on our team but i wouldn't follow him into war!
    Loyd is the same fantastic FF but only has it due to lack of options.

The best captains IMO are of course Jonno, Goodwin and Kirk.

The leaders that should be and are not,
    Nick Stevens @ Carlton
    Hodge @ Hawthorn
    Jonathan Brown @ Brisbane
    Havey @ Stkilda
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Good point Mick.
    I think tredrea is one isnt he?
    Now there is a shocking choice.
    Watched this bloke for years, so far up himself its a wonder he hasnt got himself pregnant .
    The worst team signs i have ever seen
    Watch if he takes a mark, never have i seen him look up for options, he stops , doesnt even turn around , walks back takes his glove off and has a shot.
    If he does kick it, he never runs up and thanks his deliverer, they run up to him.
    Only handballs away in play when has no other option.
    We laugh about Bartlett and him never handballing but Tredrea is seriously bad .
    The most arrogant looking footballer i have ever seen.
    The Crows are great at picking there captains and always have been, i think its Goodwin now, blokes like Riccuto, Bickley,and ones before him have always been hard on the ball players, extrememly good at breeding captains, a lot of clubs must notice this.
    I must say after two weeks over in SA, Thedrea is very good on the media side and the players love him and would do anything he asks. Yes he is painfully in love with him self but with his knees and arms that are no good he does and unbelivable job each week to get and play.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSheahan View Post
    Enjoyed reading the post. Did you leave out the SA clubs for a reason?
    I just cut and paste from another site which has highlighted my sloppy journalism, Yes Tredrea and Goodwin. God I loathe these two players, Tredrea was good for about 2 years, Goodwin is a great player though, Adelaide's Scotty West who has reinvented himself up forward so far this season.