Thread: The Footy Show

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Footy Show

What happened to chops ? The footy shows been stale for over 20 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What happened to chops ? The footy shows been stale for over 20 years
    Couldn't help himself but troll but he's OK. I speak and text him fairly often-he lives around the corner from my mum. I think he's going to Cairns.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Couldn't help himself but troll but he's OK. I speak and text him fairly often-he lives around the corner from my mum. I think he's going to Cairns.
    Time he came back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough,

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...20-gxfn7x.html

'Complete sad sack': Sam Newman's bizarre Footy Show appearance

Broede Carmody

Sam Newman was uncharacteristically tight-lipped on The Footy Show on Thursday night, leading to speculation the controversial presenter was teaching Nine bosses a lesson on what the show would be like without him.

Instead of his usual outspoken self, Thursday night's Newman at times refused to answer questions - much to the frustration of his fellow panelists - and kept his feelings to himself on a range of hot-button topics.

When co-host Rebecca Maddern asked for his views on whether Collingwood president Eddie McGuire should resign, Newman remained stone-faced.

"Well, now, [it's a] bit controversial if you make comments on this," he said. "Get taken aside and spoken to, step over some imaginary line in the sand. So I don't think I would like to make a comment on any of that."

But the grouchy behaviour didn't stop there. When asked who he thought would prevail when the Bulldogs and Gold Coast go head-to-head on Saturday, Newman said "I really don't give a stuff who wins".

Speaking on 3AW on Friday morning, veteran gossip reporter Peter Ford said Newman acted like a "complete sad sack" and said he was kicking up a stink because he believes he'll soon be booted from the popular AFL talk show.

"There were a lot of people hearing this thinking, what another contrived, drummed up drama to try get attention for the footy show," he said. "But ... it was sending out a message. Sam is of the belief that there are rumblings that he will be axed from the footy show at the end of the year."

Ford said Newman believes Nine has tried to reign him in over the past few months and make him more "politically correct".

"He just doesn't wanna play that game," Ford said. "He wants to march to the beat of his own drum. It was [about[ very much demonstrating what the show would be like [without him]."

Channel Nine is expected to make a statement shortly.
    Couldn't care less, truth be told. I've watched a grand total of 7.5 minutes of that show since I was a teenager (I'm 32). I flicked over one night and the panel were trying to eat onions raw or some tripe. Sam is an absolute dinosaur.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time he came back.

Are you going to moderate him? He's one of my favourite people but he's too high maintenance on a website.

Believe me, if there were a way to maintain him I would have thought of it and implemented it. But there wasn't. It wasn't a decision I made lightly

6. Likes Topdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a lot of trouble even caring what happens to Sam these days. He ceased being news years ago, it's only C9 that haven't noticed yet.

9. Likes 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Having a lot of trouble even caring what happens to Sam these days. He ceased being news years ago, it's only C9 that haven't noticed yet.
    Just reported - Eddie back, Hutchy out, Sam stays at this stage

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

!!!!

Great news. I loved TFS back when Eddie hosted. For what it's worth I am a Sam Newman fan. Most of what he does is purely to provide controversy and publicity for the show, it normally works.

He's the only one worth watching, but things might change now.

Unfortunately I can't read the article as I am not a HS subscriber.

Post Thanks / Like

You beat me, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    You beat me, lol
    I don't think it will improve much with Eddie back. It is the format, old and staid.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will improve much with Eddie back. It is the format, old and staid.
    Yeah but I am a loyalist ... (is that a word!). It's been my ritual since 1995 ...

Post Thanks / Like

Good news. For Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Yeah but I am a loyalist ... (is that a word!). It's been my ritual since 1995 ...
    It is in my house!

16. Likes cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty desperate move to bring Eddie back.

Do they really think people tuned on, or off, based on Hutchy's role?

Really, the host is just about keeping things moving and on track - to me, the show is antiquated because of;

1. Sam Newman and his painful segments and nonsense input.
    2. Obviously ordinary producers who allow the same rubbish to go on and on and on - and have done nothing to liven up the format.

Nowadays, with the teams coming out at 6:25pm, on everyones phone - to spend a chunk of the night putting up the teams/changes 2-4 hours later just bores everyone to snores. As does things like 'Sam's mailbag' going for half an hour.
    Apart from that - half of the night is spent with "Coming up next/later".
    To me, the producers (and Sam) have buried this show. Its 2017. Refresh the format and the offering to the audience - or the slow death is inevitable.

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll start by saying I quite like Hutchy-he does what he does because he has a passion the game and talking about it and he's never lost sight of that fact. But he was the wrong choice for the host of TFS for so many reasons.

But I'm trying to think of a better choice and I'm having trouble.