Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  47
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Footy Show

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Footy Show

I will admit - I have some Hutchy-bias - because I've listened to his show (with Liam Pickering and Dr.Turf) on Saturday mornings on SEN for years - and I think that is where you get to see (hear) the real Hutchy - and he is bl00dy funny and smart.

But really - this stunt of having Eddie back, might have people turn back on for 1-2 weeks - but in the long term, the show is dying a slow death unless they change the format significantly. The biggest change would be to wind it up with Sam. He's nearly 72 years old, he despises the modern game and takes no genuine interest in it, he despises modern society and can't disguise that, and he just makes the show so slowly moving and frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I will admit - I have some Hutchy-bias - because I've listened to his show (with Liam Pickering and Dr.Turf) on Saturday mornings on SEN for years - and I think that is where you get to see (hear) the real Hutchy - and he is bl00dy funny and smart.

But really - this stunt of having Eddie back, might have people turn back on for 1-2 weeks - but in the long term, the show is dying a slow death unless they change the format significantly. The biggest change would be to wind it up with Sam. He's nearly 72 years old, he despises the modern game and takes no genuine interest in it, he despises modern society and can't disguise that, and he just makes the show so slowly moving and frustrating.
    The format is so tired. Having these 3 lame duck players or ex players who add diddly squat to the content is mind numbing from a production perspective. And what production value is there then in seeking these same players tips for the round? It is excruciating television. Sam himself has been openly ambivalent to this part of the show for the past decade and yet the producers in their wisdom still see merit in it. If they can't devise something more compelling for their 3 'guest' panelists to contribute to other than fawning their egos then the producers should remove them entirely. It's All well and good to move Hutchy on but unless they cut a swathe through the production team it will be more of the same I fear.

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hutchy's podcast with Barrett is also very good and presents Hutchy is a fairly unfiltered manner. I'll be interested to hear his take on the next episode.

FWIW, I also think he's a very good operator.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Newman has the ego of a coal mine and the self awareness of a briquette. He's 72 years old and doesn't seem to realise that very few people take him seriously. A case of arrested development for sure. Blinded by his massive ego he has been walking the road of irrelevency for years. His bosses at Ch 9 live by the "no publicity is ..." dictum. They don't care what he does/who he offends as long as the ratings hold up.
    Susan Alberti is my hero.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, Bulldog4life, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his Saturday morning show too. They really won me over when they had the show last year in Footscray and scooped a bunch of bulldog supporters up and took them to the prelim final. I thought that was using their powers (it must have cost a bit, a chartered flight couldn't have been cheap and tickets to the game) for good.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped watching the show the day Sam Newman brought Akermanis in to tell the world how shit the Bulldogs were after he got sacked. Haven't watched he show since. I don't like Hutchinson and especially don't like Barrett. (not a big Dave Hughes fan either). I do, however, like Shane Crawford, but I'm not willing to watch the drivel just to see his segment/s.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Hutchy fan as well. Rate him as a journo and his knowledge of the game itself leaves Barrett in the dust.

The thing I like about McGuire is that Sam didn't seem to get away with as much when Eddie was hosting. Eddie kept the show on track well.

In saying that I have no confidence that Sam will fade into the background.

They're axing the wrong person.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazed that Eddie agreed to take it on. His ego usually means he doesn't want to take on something destined to fail.

The show is dead, it offers absolutely nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Couldn't help himself but troll but he's OK. I speak and text him fairly often-he lives around the corner from my mum. I think he's going to Cairns.
    Didn't he used to be Ernie Sigley? Is he the real Ernie Sigley and why would you call yourself Ernie Sigley if you aren't Ernie Sigley?
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Amazed that Eddie agreed to take it on. His ego usually means he doesn't want to take on something destined to fail.

Yes yet there is such a demand for a show of its type. Everyone wants a foretaste of the weekends action, once the teams are announced. Talking a bit of crap will do as long as it is entertaining crap, with as much real footy as possible, even if its real footy from other levels. Channel 9 should give The Couldabeen Champions and Tony Lenard as much money as they want.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here still watch it. I switched it off years ago and I've maybe seen a couple of hours in total in the last 5 or 6 years when I'm changing channels. Eddie will attract a larger audience but he must have a different offer in mind.

I think the problem is that it's neither funny or informative and tries for a blend of both but it comes up well short.

For it to survive this long it must still be appealing to many. Eddie might revive it but I won't be checking in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Point is it became about them and lost its focus on the reason people watch .. It's to see the teams. . I gave up watching years ago as they didn't show our team until about 11 at night just to keep you watching.
    Best days were the Trevor Marmalade days ..
    Just go back to something like league teams read them out discuss the ins and outs and move on ..an hour is enough.
    I'm a football fan I have no interest in players private lives, what they are paid and how they got in trouble as a 10 year old.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Didn't he used to be Ernie Sigley? Is he the real Ernie Sigley and why would you call yourself Ernie Sigley if you aren't Ernie Sigley?

Yes, no and I have no idea.

I think the real Ernie Sigley is suffering from Altzeimers and hasn't been at all well. He missed the premiership last year because of his ill health. I felt bad for him.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I like his Saturday morning show too. They really won me over when they had the show last year in Footscray and scooped a bunch of bulldog supporters up and took them to the prelim final. I thought that was using their powers (it must have cost a bit, a chartered flight couldn't have been cheap and tickets to the game) for good.
    I saw Hutchy after the game and all the Dogs supporters were giving him high fives and thanking him for bringing the supporters to the game.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Yeah but I am a loyalist ... (is that a word!). It's been my ritual since 1995 ...
    Absolutely a word! I've seen it in a video game so it has to be.

19. Likes cinder liked this post