Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Murph accepts 1 week

Just announced on SEN
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Murph excepts 1 week

Accepts, I guess you mean.

Post Thanks / Like

I took exception to his penalty

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Lloyd could be in trouble too for his comments supporting Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Matthew Lloyd could be in trouble too for his comments supporting Murphy
    AFL have given Lloyd the all clear
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thought he would take it, just focus on our games i think , dont need the players or committee worrying about this stuff, we are a team lets just get on the job no matter what they throw at us!

Post Thanks / Like

From this suspension I can only assume that the bump is now illegal.

What about this scenario.

A 2-on-1 situation where the player on his own (without a teammate) arrives at the ball second and from the opposite dierection to his opposition player who gets there first.

The player who arrives first has two options.

1) He can pick up the ball and be tackled, which would probably result in a ball up at best or holding the ball at worst.

2) He can shephard his opponent and allow his teammate to get the ball.

Clearly the correct course of action is to shephard for his teammate. To do so he will have to run past the ball.

As the opponent is moving towards him, to simply put his arms out to shephard will be useless as the opposition player will simply walk around him to get to the player with the ball. The only effective method would be to bump. Sit the bloke on his arse and your teammate is away.

The opponent however is well aware of what you are trying to do and wants to avoid you so he moves. You adjust slightly but his knees are bent as he tries to dodge you and you miss is shoulder by 2 inches and get him on the chin.

This is will earn you 2 weeks out. What a load of bollocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    From this suspension I can only assume that the bump is now illegal.

What about this scenario.

A 2-on-1 situation where the player on his own (without a teammate) arrives at the ball second and from the opposite dierection to his opposition player who gets there first.

The player who arrives first has two options.

1) He can pick up the ball and be tackled, which would probably result in a ball up at best or holding the ball at worst.

2) He can shephard his opponent and allow his teammate to get the ball.

Clearly the correct course of action is to shephard for his teammate. To do so he will have to run past the ball.

As the opponent is moving towards him, to simply put his arms out to shephard will be useless as the opposition player will simply walk around him to get to the player with the ball. The only effective method would be to bump. Sit the bloke on his arse and your teammate is away.

The opponent however is well aware of what you are trying to do and wants to avoid you so he moves. You adjust slightly but his knees are bent as he tries to dodge you and you miss is shoulder by 2 inches and get him on the chin.

This is will earn you 2 weeks out. What a load of bollocks.
    I understand your point, but we've all known that the AFL is very serious about protecting the head area, and any contact above the neck will result in weeks now, accidental or otherwise. Players just need to be aware of this, and try to make sure they connect lower with the bump, use more hip and keep the arm well tucked.

Given what has occurred this week, how many weeks do you think Gia would have got under the current system for his bump on Kosi a few years back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I understand your point, but we've all known that the AFL is very serious about protecting the head area, and any contact above the neck will result in weeks now, accidental or otherwise. Players just need to be aware of this, and try to make sure they connect lower with the bump, use more hip and keep the arm well tucked.

Given what has occurred this week, how many weeks do you think Gia would have got under the current system for his bump on Kosi a few years back?
    That's the point of Sockeye's post.

The subject which is forgotten/omitted by the AFL is "intenton" and that is THE critical issue.

If the contact is unintentional, the player ought not be penalised.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Murph accepts 1 week

Sockeye I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Except in my situation the player just deliberately makes himself about 10cm shorter by bending his knees. Free kick.

Player could also just put his head down and cop a little hit.