Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our next captain

I am not ready to sweep Johnno out the door and hope he plays on for at least two more years, but after the great man completes his tour of duty, who will be our next captain and why? I often feel that a captain is just someone who points the way his team is kicking and is the first player to hold up the Premiership cup after a Grand Final win, however, I heard a radio personality discussing Higgins' comeback and talking about him as captain material and it got me thinking. Surely Higgins is 2nd in line to the throne and he's only played 26 games. If Johnno plays for two more years Higgins would be lucky to have played 80 games. That would mean a current 100+ player will be in line post-Johnno. My pick would be Cooney, he has stated his desire to be a one club player, his exploits on the field lead by example and I believe he is respected off the field as well. Who else do you think is captain material in our line up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our next captain

Robert Murphy or Daniel Giansiracusa for me. I'd be happy with either.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying Gia because Gia gave Ward the jumper instead of johnno. Is this normal or is it a sign of whats about to happen?

What about Cross and Boyd?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    My pick would be Cooney, he has stated his desire to be a one club player, his exploits on the field lead by example and I believe he is respected off the field as well.
    Good thread 1eyeddog,

When the day comes and Johnno relinquishes the captaincy - my choice would be Adam Cooney or Daniel Cross both would be extremely deserving to become captains.

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy for me. He has the profile, presents himself well, and loves the bulldogs.

Next pick after Murphy would be Boyd - not sure why, but I prefer him over Cross and Gia.

bulldog Guest

gia is very highly rated so i think he will get id love to see crossy get it

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember Gia being given the job as captain for a few pre season games a couple of years ago, so I would say that he is being considered the next captain by the club.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 11-06-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: didnt make sense

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney or Gia would be happy with either.

They say Gia has has great leadership skills.

l suppose we will all have to wait and see.

Maybe we could put this thread away and drag it out at the right time and see how we have gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Robert Murphy or Daniel Giansiracusa for me. I'd be happy with either.
    Gia? That's very interesting as I would not have suspected that, clearly he is held in high regard at the club but his form can be up and down. I can understand Murph, he is just such a great player. In saying this, should the best player in the team be captain? Judd at Carlton, Riewoldt at St. Kilda seem to me to be, well you are the best player here so you're captain whereas Geelong have gone with Harley, clearly not the best player. Gia is not the best player in our team so that is interesting. There was a thread going a while back about what type of person should be captain, great players on the field or great blokes off the field, courage on the field or skill etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Gia is always one mentioned by those who know.

Most people go for the better workers and performers (egCross) but the club must see something in Gia they must not see in others

Post Thanks / Like

Id love to see Co-Captains Cooney & Cross

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen is clearly a future captain.

Gilbee would be a very highly respected captain, but he's probably a bit too quiet and unaccountable at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see one of Morris or Boyd captain, would be a great story.

Remember westy on radio being asked who might be the next captain and from memory i think he mentioned Gilbee and Higgins

Post Thanks / Like

If Mitch Hahn was 2 or 3 years younger, I think he would be a great choice. Cooney does seem to be the next best choice. He has matured greatly over the last couple of years and with Griff as his VC our future would be in great hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    If Mitch Hahn was 2 or 3 years younger, I think he would be a great choice. Cooney does seem to be the next best choice. He has matured greatly over the last couple of years and with Griff as his VC our future would be in great hands.
    Agreed, Mitch would be a great captain. I would be very happy with Cooney as captain and Griffen as VC. You are right when you say they are the future of the club, we need to keep them there and that would be a good reward and incentive for them to stay. What about Cooney and Griff as co-captains? Does anyone notice how Cooney and Griffen look for each other on the field? I often see Cooney hit a running Griffen, absolutely magic, these two obviously have a good friendship and understanding on the field, both S.A boys why not make them co-captains?