Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our next captain

I think Gia will be the next capt, followed by griff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Robert Murphy or Daniel Giansiracusa for me. I'd be happy with either.
    Interesting re Gia. Do you think he is a leader of men? With all respect to Gia, I see him more of an opportunist type player who finishes off well. I cannot recall that type of player captaining a side.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it has often been said that Murphy stated he never wanted the captaincy, but I get the feeling as he's matured, and continues to do so, he'll become more interested in being a genuine leader of the club. It'll be interesting to see whether or not he does throw his name in the hat.

To me a lot of it depends on how long Johnno stays around and how long he wants to hold the captaincy. If he's going to play for another 2 years beyond this one perhaps in his last year he'll choose to relinquish the captaincy to someone else whilst he's still on board to help lead the way. At this stage you wouldn't think a Cooney or Griff are quite ready for captaincy, but over the next few years they could be.

The other names would be Gia, Crossy and even Boydy I imagine at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

The way Scott West was talking on radio before our round 6 game - when asked who would take the reigns as captain after Jonno - It seemed a mere formality that Gia would be the next captain.

He never hesitated for an instant and didn't suggest anyone else.

He mentioned Higgins as a future leader - but really stamped Gia down as the next captain so I think that speak volumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, 1eye. I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and I just can't go past Crossy. Passionate and hardworking off the field, courageous and determined on it. Still only 24/25 I think, will probably be 27/28 by the time Johnno retires and thats a fairly good age to become captain IMO. Gia obviously has a very strong presencez around the club but his playing style has always been a bit of a pinch hitter, opportunist around goals who can work through the midfield occasionally and on the field that sort of playing style doesn't match inspirational playing style of Crossy.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Won me over, Scorlibo. Crossy for mine, and Coon and Griff in the wings.

Crizza Guest

Cooney for me; his on field leadership is growing, but for me it is his off field leadership that gets the nod. He is a mature young example to the community. The way he has established himself off field with his family and his business pursuits speaks volumes for the type of character that he is; and he is someone i want to be captain of our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Does anyone notice how Cooney and Griffen look for each other on the field? I often see Cooney hit a running Griffen, absolutely magic, these two obviously have a good friendship and understanding on the field, both S.A boys why not make them co-captains?
    They would be the new Johnno & Bubba, except that Johnno and Aker have become the new Johnno & Bubba.

I laugh when opposition supporters come out with claims like "all Aker's team-mates hate him they won't pass to him, like Johnno last year and again v North". I reckon about half of Johnno's touches this year have been to Aker. Against Melbourne they were both standing in the goalsquare and Johnno still handballed to Aker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    They would be the new Johnno & Bubba, except that Johnno and Aker have become the new Johnno & Bubba.

I laugh when opposition supporters come out with claims like "all Aker's team-mates hate him they won't pass to him, like Johnno last year and again v North". I reckon about half of Johnno's touches this year have been to Aker. Against Melbourne they were both standing in the goalsquare and Johnno still handballed to Aker.
    Yep, good observation. I stated that Cooney and Griff always seem to link up but you right, Johnno always seems to look for Aker when kicking into F50 and why wouldn't you? The only time Johnno hasn't passed the ball to Aker i.e the North game is when Johnno truly believes he can kick the goal IMO. Just look at the back page of the Hun after the Hawks win, Johnno and Aker arm in arm. They are working in tandem beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Great thread, 1eye. I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and I just can't go past Crossy. Passionate and hardworking off the field, courageous and determined on it. Still only 24/25 I think, will probably be 27/28 by the time Johnno retires and thats a fairly good age to become captain IMO. Gia obviously has a very strong presencez around the club but his playing style has always been a bit of a pinch hitter, opportunist around goals who can work through the midfield occasionally and on the field that sort of playing style doesn't match inspirational playing style of Crossy.
    Yep interesting, I hadn't thought about Crossy but he is obviously highly respected. I can understand Gia being made captain though he is a local boy. So you are saying that Crossy should be captain over Gia because Crossy is more inspirational? Tom Harley is hardly inspirational on the field and he's a premiership captain.

lion in the midst Guest

Does there have to be only one captain? Many teams now just have a senior leadership group being co-captains, Brisbane has four, Brown, Black, Lappin and Power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lion in the midst View Post
    Does there have to be only one captain? Many teams now just have a senior leadership group being co-captains, Brisbane has four, Brown, Black, Lappin and Power.
    Absolutely not, that's why I put Cooney and Griffen down as co-captains in an earlier post. Some just don't like the idea of co-captains however. If it works for the Lions and the Swans great, it didn't work for St. Kilda or at least not in Lyon's eyes. We are a traditionally a one captain club, I wonder if that would change for any reason....

Post Thanks / Like

I hate co-captians with a passion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yep interesting, I hadn't thought about Crossy but he is obviously highly respected. I can understand Gia being made captain though he is a local boy. So you are saying that Crossy should be captain over Gia because Crossy is more inspirational? Tom Harley is hardly inspirational on the field and he's a premiership captain.
    I would argue that Harley is inspirational to his team. You want the captain of the team to be able to demonstrate the fundamentals skills required to play good football, I don't mean those skills which come from natural talent such as being a beautiful kick or super quick, I mean those acquired skills such as determination, composure, courage etc. Harley does demonstrate these skills and does set an inspirational example for his team - making him a good captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I hate co-captians with a passion!
    Yea I'm not big on them either. I think that if each captain has a different set, and order, of values and abilities then having co-captains could create a bit of confusion and indecision within the team. But hey, the facts don't really back me up, it's worked for Sydney and its working for Brisbane!