Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The best player you've seen live

Gary Ablett Snr for mine. I grew up in Geelong so had the opportunity to see a fair bit of him in the late 80s early 90s. He was a class above everyone else I saw.

Kelvin Templeton during his Brownlow year is second for mine but I am 100% bias. I was only 9, but I remember him being everywhere when we went to the Western Oval every second week. So professional in his approach to his football when professionalism wasn't the in thing. A beautiful kick and a terrific mark, just had an aura about him out there that I have seldom seen since.

Who's the best you've seen?
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 13-06-2008 at 05:02 PM.

lion in the midst Guest

Re: The best player you've seen live

Agree Ablett for me too. Overall but also because he had the physical size and speed to do it all. But for pure talent and due to me having watched a lot of Lions matches growing up I'd say Garry Wilson. But because of his smaller stature he couldn't impose himself like Ablett.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne Carey went alright.

And of the current lot Gary Ablett jnr(oohhh i wish he was in doggie colours), and probably Buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minson27 View Post
    Wayne Carey went alright.

And of the current lot Gary Ablett jnr(oohhh i wish he was in doggie colours), and probably Buddy.
    Templeton circa 78-80 >>> any 3 years from Carey.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Scott West, Brad Johnson and Wayne Carey.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember more of Wayne Carey than G Ablett Senior. So I'd have to say Carey (would've liked him a whole lot more in red,white & blue).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Templeton circa 78-80 >>> any 3 years from Carey.
    I wouldnt know, i didnt see Templeton play live.

Post Thanks / Like

You missed something beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Brownlow medallist, dual Coleman medallist, century goalkicker and he was effectively finished by the age of 22. The bald stats dont do him justice because they dont factor in the majestic way he played the game. Think Carey but a better mark, think Ablett but more mecurial, think Lockett but with more presence, think Buddy but no Roughhead or Williams, so's he had 15 blokes hanging off him every time he went near the ball. He was the real deal.

As for the best I ever saw? Royce Hart-gun player, lunatic coach.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Super 27 Guest

[QUOTE=Twodogs;42409]Brownlow medallist, dual Coleman medallist, century goalkicker and he was effectively finished by the age of 22. The bald stats dont do him justice because they dont factor in the majestic way he played the game. Think Carey but a better mark, think Ablett but more mecurial, think Lockett but with more presence, think Buddy but no Roughhead or Williams, so's he had 15 blokes hanging off him every time he went near the ball. He was the real deal.

I never saw him play but by the sounds of things what i'd i do to have him at CHF this year.

Hawkins, Carey & Abett Snr

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Super 27;42416]
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Brownlow medallist, dual Coleman medallist, century goalkicker and he was effectively finished by the age of 22. The bald stats dont do him justice because they dont factor in the majestic way he played the game. Think Carey but a better mark, think Ablett but more mecurial, think Lockett but with more presence, think Buddy but no Roughhead or Williams, so's he had 15 blokes hanging off him every time he went near the ball. He was the real deal.

I never saw him play but by the sounds of things what i'd i do to have him at CHF this year.

Hawkins, Carey & Abett Snr

He was just a freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Never got to see much of Templeton(not at all live) as i grew up in country NSW and Footscray was very rarely on tv in those days, do remember being glued to the abc radio through very ordinary reception listening to him as a kid, would have loved to seen him play.

Best i saw live was Ablett without a doubt, the guy was a freak his final series in 89 was as good as you will see. Ialso have to put the Hawk up there, he was sublime before his knee, gee his final series in 85 was just awesome wasnt it, loved watching him play.
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Never got to see much of Templeton(not at all live) as i grew up in country NSW and Footscray was very rarely on tv in those days, do remember being glued to the abc radio through very ordinary reception listening to him as a kid, would have loved to seen him play.

Best i saw live was Ablett without a doubt, the guy was a freak his final series in 89 was as good as you will see. Ialso have to put the Hawk up there, he was sublime before his knee, gee his final series in 85 was just awesome wasnt it, loved watching him play.

Hawkins in the '85 finals series was just sublime. I can still see a skimming pass to Jimmy Edmond against North. That was probably the best kick I've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hawkins in the '85 finals series was just sublime. I can still see a skimming pass to Jimmy Edmond against North. That was probably the best kick I've ever seen.

It was like slow motion. Got no higher than a meter off the ground & hit Jock lace out. It was poetry in motion.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;42409]Brownlow medallist, dual Coleman medallist, century goalkicker and he was effectively finished by the age of 22. The bald stats dont do him justice because they dont factor in the majestic way he played the game. Think Carey but a better mark, think Ablett but more mecurial, think Lockett but with more presence, think Buddy but no Roughhead or Williams, so's he had 15 blokes hanging off him every time he went near the ball. He was the real deal.

There's a lot of love out there for KT. He was a superstar. It's always difficult to name the best player you have seen.

Ablett Snr for his freakish skills but wasn't so good defensively. (Suppose you don't need defense when you kick more goals than the opposition)

Leigh Matthews just so hard at the ball and the man while having brilliant skills.

Dermott Brereton for his impact on big games

Phil Carman. Just pure class but never saw it enough.

Plugger. Simply awesome

Doug Hawkins. Skill, Courage and a bit of mongrel. Made quality opponents look second rate.

Chris Grant. Probably the most skilled footballer either side of his body for his size. Courageous and selfless.

I could go on but I have a game to get to this afternoon.