Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Live' Forum

Post Thanks / Like

'Live' Forum

Any of the mods considered a 'live' forum where those who are online can chat in a designated 'chat room'?

Could be something like this:

firstdogonthemoon: I'm the bravest & handsomest cartoonist ever!

Sockeye Salmon: Well you're more handsome than Julia Gillard or Helen Clark.

Twodogs: Did I ever tell you about the worst free kick I ever saw paid, Micky McKenna against Sydney was pinged for holding the ball & his jaw was broken.

GVGjr: I went to watch the Western Jets on the weekend.

Westdog54: That's your 512th game you've seen live this year GVGjr.

Ernie Sigley: Twodogs, I've told you a hundred thousand times, umpires hate us!

Aker39: Cheap airfares to Sydney, Tasmania, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, Ballarat, Coffs Harbour & Bangkok.

dales.girl38: When am I going to see Dale kick a goal live?

Griffen#16: Dogs game not being televised back into Adelaide by Foxtel, hate pay TV!

Lantern: Buddy, Buddy, Buddy, Buddy, Buddy, Buddy...

Mantis: Is that Daniel Hargreaves you're referring to?

mjp: There's a kid playing for the Jets, that just keeps stepping up & every level, look out for him at the draft. his name's Ward, Callan Ward.

You get the general idea anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Live' Forum

buddy buddy buddy buddy buddy...

Post Thanks / Like

I almost choked on a Cheese and Bacon roll just then.

That's some funny stuff TCD.

Great idea though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not something we've ever talked about. I have reservations because a chat room sucks up a lot of bandwidth and tends to slow a site down. Other problems I've seen are increased prevalance of bugs(chatrooms attract lots of bugs), a need for almost 24 moderating and shoddy software that constantly crashes. And nine times out of ten it doesnt just crash the chatroom but the whole site goes down.

Anyway it's a grown ups site. If we bring in a chat room you blokes will be posting in txt tlk-lol.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts that probably means we could not currently proceed with this suggestion.

1) The main reason would be that the site has been experiencing some system issues of late and a chat extension would really impact the forum. We review our hosting arrangement again in November.
    2) I know vBulletin has a chat room extension but I would need to research this because my understanding is that it's typically very difficult to keep the forum acting primarily as a forum when a chat room is also operating. Perhaps this could be overcome by having a designated chat night once a week rather than it operating 24/7.
    3) The other concern is what Twodogs alluded to. My guess is that with having a chat room it would be far easier for people to bring the text/sms type speak into the forum side of things which is not something that I'd like to see.

We will discuss this but I don't see this happening in the short term.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GVGjr & Twodogs, appreciate your responses.

I don't mind the idea of a set time each week, perhaps for 2 hours on a Thursday evening, good way to trial it.

SMS talk drives me mad too.

Anyhow, something to think about.

Now, Twodogs, about that free kick.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Thanks GVGjr & Twodogs, appreciate your responses.

I don't mind the idea of a set time each week, perhaps for 2 hours on a Thursday evening, good way to trial it.

SMS talk drives me mad too.

Anyhow, something to think about.

Now, Twodogs, about that free kick.....

I'm not going there until my therapist gets back from holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess an option is to create a room on MIRC during a set time where we could have it password enabled that is posted on the site there for it wouldn't affect the sites proformance and would keep the txt talk off the website. Though I doubt it would happenm, people talking in TXT talk i mean. Though I must admit I have used LOL in one post on WOOF where I wasn't actually Laughing Out Loud so I appologise for the desception.

But would that Idea be a better option TwoDogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muttley3028 View Post
    I guess an option is to create a room on MIRC during a set time where we could have it password enabled that is posted on the site there for it wouldn't affect the sites proformance and would keep the txt talk off the website. Though I doubt it would happenm, people talking in TXT talk i mean. Though I must admit I have used LOL in one post on WOOF where I wasn't actually Laughing Out Loud so I appologise for the desception.

But would that Idea be a better option TwoDogs?

Yeah could be a good comprimise. As I understand MIRC we wouldnt have to add anything to the site because it's all hosted by them. Is that right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah could be a good comprimise. As I understand MIRC we wouldnt have to add anything to the site because it's all hosted by them. Is that right?
    To my understanding it is you connect to the appropriate channel (AUSNET I think is the main one its going back a few years since I have used it)and create a room I wouldn't see it being difficault at all.

Post Thanks / Like

A site I was involved with a few years ago (non-football related) added a chat room doing it the MIRC approach. It was ok, but often wouldn't work.

The first few weeks it was around it was very popular and the actual message board suffered because not as many people were actively contributing. After a short time everyone got sick of the chat room and again commenced posting on the message board.

It could be an interesting tool though, a chat room, if we could do things like - arrange for a player or coaching staff member to come online for a chat once a fortnight or once a week. Certainly some good things could be gained from it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of having special one-off chats with special topics or guests that Griffen#16 is alluding to, rather than a dedicated chat time or day. These could be special WOOF events as such when everyone comes together a few times a year. It would be important to have a dedicated host and pre-set ground rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I like the idea of having special one-off chats with special topics or guests that Griffen#16 is alluding to, rather than a dedicated chat time or day. These could be special WOOF events as such when everyone comes together a few times a year. It would be important to have a dedicated host and pre-set ground rules.
    Was saving something special for my 100th post, not sure if this is what I had in mind - this is a good idea though, what are the chances of a player willing to contribute to a 30/60 minute chat room with the Dogs finest and brightest fans?

Funny as opening to the thread too TCD - over time, you'll hear enough about my opinons on the clash jumpers fiasco that you'll all tell me to get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you hate text talk then you'll hate how people speak these days.

Lol CBF ect have become actual spoken words! I hear several acronyms a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Way back in the late 90s early 2000's another website that also used to be called Bulldogs Unleashed ran a chat room and message board. They would organise the chat room for selection night (thursday obviously). I used to enjoy going on and talking footy when that was around. Wouldn't have a clue about the technical implications of it though.