Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your one wildcard for 2007?

Who will step up for us out of the blue this season?

I don't mean good draft picks like Higgins or Griffen, rather is there someone like say Addison who will get an opportuinity and really shine and surprise us?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your one wildcard for 2007?

Said it before and I'll say it again, in fact I'll keep saying it it happens.

Harbrow. The kids an excitement machine who can do stunning things on the footy field.

Also dont write of Tim Walsh making some sort of impact. I have no particular reaon for saying that but I've got a feeling in my water that he may come out of the blue and start to play some decent footy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Also dont write of Tim Walsh making some sort of impact. I have no particular reaon for saying that but I've got a feeling in my water that he may come out of the blue and start to play some decent footy.
    That would surely be a miracle and/or proof of God.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how much is hope, but will also nominate Tim.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    That would surely be a miracle and/or proof of God.

I'm already a believer in God. Just need to transfer a bit of that belief to Tim.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

kennel master Guest

I reckon Cam Wight will establish himself as a regular. With his size and pace he is going to be tough to match up on.
    It will be great to see him develop as our CHB. High Hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Cameron Wight for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly Wight and/or McDougall would make a huge difference.

A left field suggestion: Luke darcy. By rights, with 2 years and 2 ACLs out of footy he should be pretty ordinary first year back and may breakk down again.

He was really firing by this season's end - that would be a wildcard for me.

Curly5 Guest

I was going to say Wight but he has enough votes. I'll go for Sam Power - I think his talent will begin to shine brightly this year.

Post Thanks / Like

McDougall is potentially a wild card, in the sense that we picked him up for nothing, he's ready-made, he's athletic and a good mark. He has obvious talent, but he's got obvious flaws too.

He'd be a huge plus to the side if he could stand up and play 15+ games and contribute.

But other then that, I'm going to nominate Cameron Faulkner. According to some reports, he played pretty well in the Intra Club match & against Essendon the week before in the All Stars.

If he's able to stay on the park, I think Faulkner can do some damage. He's got a bigger frame now and he's a very hard hitter. He has great instinctive skills, he needs to go off this rather than stop, prop and think too much about what he's going to do. Every time I've seen Faulkner take the first option that comes to mind, his skills are spot on. He adds a bit to the side I feel with his ability to play midfield & forward. He can crumb the ball, so having a Darcy/McDougall type player in the FWD line can only help.

He just needs to have an injury free season and a bit of luck, because I still maintain the belief that he has the tools to be a quality player in our side.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Harris. Hopefully our mid fielders, rucks and forwards can help stop such quick entry into their forward line. Also hope for more help from taller brigade so he can concentrate on one opponent, maybe even a lesser one who is not at full forward. Can become a damaging attacking player if confident and part of a well drilled back half.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking Wight (working him into every thread I can) and Sammy, but these guys are now covered.

DFA could establish himself as Griff's HBF replacement, not quite as flashy as Ray but can be accountable for an opposition player, still likes a run.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Hahn I think will just be coming back to his best coming into the finals. He is a genuine match winner and IMO drags other players with him when he is at his best. Could have a huge impact for us. Bit of a forgotten man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Mitch Hahn I think will just be coming back to his best coming into the finals. He is a genuine match winner and IMO drags other players with him when he is at his best. Could have a huge impact for us. Bit of a forgotten man.

DT, IIRC you've done your knee in the past.

1. What can we realistically expect from the 3 ACL victims this season?

2. Do you recall any other AFL team bringing back 3 ACL victims in the one season?

3. Will #2 above be an issue for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    DT, IIRC you've done your knee in the past.

1. What can we realistically expect from the 3 ACL victims this season?

2. Do you recall any other AFL team bringing back 3 ACL victims in the one season?

3. Will #2 above be an issue for us?
    Big difference is that these guys are getting the best treatment in the business 3 times a day compared with my going to the physio whenever I could get out of work early. I would certainly expect the agility and confidence of the players to be down early on in the comebacks but once they get 7-10 games into them then I would expect them to start having an impact. I made my comeback late in a season and really struggled but a full pre season really helps and our players all got a good pre season in to get confidence in the joints. Agility and turning circle was my most effected area. The other thing is that your muscles really tighten up which leaves you open to soft tissue injuries which is what Darcy is trying to manage right now.

Pretty sure Port had a few knee victims in one season and possibly West Coast or Freo 3 or 4 years back when Subi was churning out knee victims every week. Hopefully the fact that Hahn is coming back a little later means we are not carrying to many guys with demons from their injuries. Best case scenario would have Darcy and Murphy close to their best by the time Hahn comes back.