Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Newman tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Richo doesn't mind hanging out at the Boiler Room at the BDO, with an ex-Bulldog too.

Now that Sam is back, have to stop watching the show. Is would have to be one of the dumbest people on TV and ruins the show's flow with his constant struggles to keep track of simple conversations.
    And what because he listens to dance music he is a pill-popper?

Post Thanks / Like

/\/\/\

Exactly right. The Sydney FS is actually so much funnier -- there just doesn't seem to be as much posturing and the whole bunch of them are legitimately great mates who like/trust each other even with all the crap they pull, whereas on the Melbourne FS you can tell that egos are very predominant and everyone is protective of their own turf, so to speak. That's what happens when you have board members/presidents running a show though, as they don't seem to be able to wear different hats.

There also seems to be a far greater desire in AFL to 'create controversy' or to push an agenda. This is also due probably to the negative slant of our prominent journos like Caro and Smith, where every statement is dissected to find its worst possible meaning and all their questions are always aimed at the negative.

(ie. Club President: "I'm a little bit tired today." Caro: "Is that because there is a split in the board and it's affecting your health?". President: "No, my daughter wasn't feeling well last night and I had to take her to the hospital." Caro: "So do you find it hard to balance your professional and personal responsibilties?" President: "I think it's a reality of modern life that there are many demands on an individual." Caro: "Does the coach think the same way, and would you cut him the same kind of slack? Do you think that this attitude is the reason your club is not performing to its best?" etc etc ad nauseum.)

The NRL's culture just seems a lot more balanced and -- for want of a better word -- FUN. Which is ironic, considering they've probably had arguably more controversial events than have the AFL.

It's like it's still a sport/game for them, but we've forgotten that. And forgive me for saying this, but the guys in the NRL do seem genuinely on the whole more intelligent than your AFL types. They are alot more conversant with things like tactics and international affairs (probably due to it being a slightly more international game), whereas we tend to be a lot more myopic.

Heck, Billy even admitted to being myopic on SEN this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was actually better the last four weeks with Billy.

The best footy show is before the game on Channel 10 saturday night at 6.30
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    (ie. Club President: "I'm a little bit tired today." Caro: "Is that because there is a split in the board and it's affecting your health?". President: "No, my daughter wasn't feeling well last night and I had to take her to the hospital." Caro: "So do you find it hard to balance your professional and personal responsibilties?" President: "I think it's a reality of modern life that there are many demands on an individual." Caro: "Does the coach think the same way, and would you cut him the same kind of slack? Do you think that this attitude is the reason your club is not performing to its best?" etc etc ad nauseum.)

that is quite funny - its just like that
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And what because he listens to dance music he is a pill-popper?
    i don't know about the dance music stuff,
    but richo was always a big alternative music fan.

I remember spotting him at the bdo years ago when "at the drive in" were playing.
    He was also wearing the said band's t'shirt. If anyone remembers them they are quite far removed from dance music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

I remember spotting him at the bdo years ago when "at the drive in" were playing.
    He was also wearing the said band's t'shirt. If anyone remembers them they are quite far removed from dance music.
    Yep, saw him there that year too. Pretty sure he's into his alt-rock. That was the year those f%^* morons Limp Bizkit pulled out of the Melbourne leg after Jessica Miccalef's (misspelt I'm sure, no disrespect to her) death in Sydney, and ATDI ended up clashing with Placebo, so I went and saw half of both these bands sets.

Chris Martin of Coldplay also wearing the same ATDI on stage mid arvo during their set (what a random memory I do have sometimes)

And anyone paying out on Sam, I'm with ya. He's totally lost it, every time he contributes it descends into farcical television. Completely out of touch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

Richo is a massive fan of Kings of Leon, seen him at quite a few of there gigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Richo is a massive fan of Kings of Leon, seen him at quite a few of there gigs.
    KOL are a cracking band

Gotta show some love for Lantern with the below - quality, and frighteningly spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Exactly right. The Sydney FS is actually so much funnier -- there just doesn't seem to be as much posturing and the whole bunch of them are legitimately great mates who like/trust each other even with all the crap they pull, whereas on the Melbourne FS you can tell that egos are very predominant and everyone is protective of their own turf, so to speak. That's what happens when you have board members/presidents running a show though, as they don't seem to be able to wear different hats.
    I think that was more the case when it was Sam and Eddie. JB doesn't exactly seem the type to take himself too seriously unless it's about NM in which case he has every right to defend it and Gary, well Gary cops a lot of shit and gets though it but can't be blamed for occasionally wanting to move past it (eg the stretcher)

Post Thanks / Like

How good were At the Drive inn! Relationship of command is a classic album

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhnbtlr View Post
    Yep, saw him there that year too. Pretty sure he's into his alt-rock. That was the year those f%^* morons Limp Bizkit pulled out of the Melbourne leg after Jessica Miccalef's (misspelt I'm sure, no disrespect to her) death in Sydney, and ATDI ended up clashing with Placebo, so I went and saw half of both these bands sets.

Chris Martin of Coldplay also wearing the same ATDI on stage mid arvo during their set (what a random memory I do have sometimes)

And anyone paying out on Sam, I'm with ya. He's totally lost it, every time he contributes it descends into farcical television. Completely out of touch
    Michilak, I believe.

Agree on the general concensus here. Sam is past it, ATDI rock and nothing wrong with the Boiler Room.

Post Thanks / Like

This year at BDO, i thought i saw Farren Ray in the boiler room! I wasnt close enough, and wasn't stalkerish enough to get closer.

I saw Matty Boyd and Tim Walsh at The Killers last November, definately them!
    I accidentally ran into Tim while trying to get past- BEFORE realising it was him, im not that creepy!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and on The Footy Show, the panels gone back to having no say or involvement thanks to Sams attention seeking ways.

I prefer Billy. At least Billy doesn't try and pretend he's something he's not- I cant count the number of occasions i've heard Sam try and belittle someone with his "big words". Pity he only knows about four.

Post Thanks / Like

You should want to get rid of Trev from the show.

He often makes jokes about Bulldog supporters making them out to be criminals.

Trev is nasty towards us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Cuming View Post
    You should want to get rid of Trev from the show.

He often makes jokes about Bulldog supporters making them out to be criminals.

Trev is nasty towards us.
    I think he dishes it up to most of the clubs - gives Collingwood a tougher time than the doggies. I thought it was really funny when he talked about NM new ground and then showed a picture of JB's new house with all the NM portables around it.