Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  54
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Newman tonight

Should be sacked, has gone too far. How many times does he have to apologize for the way he treats women and his total disrespect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should be sacked, has gone too far. How many times does he have to apologize for the way he treats women and his total disrespect.
    For those of us who don't watch it, what's happened?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Haven't seen it since I started this post, sounds juicy - what's happened?

Post Thanks / Like

FOOTY Show star Sam Newman is in hot water again after making a highly-suggestive comment about a female Tasmanian politician last night.

However Channel 9 has defended it's star labelling the backlash "grossly unfair".

Tasmania's Economic Development and Tourism Minister Paula Wriedt had appeared in a clip on last night's footy show to promote Tassie's push for an AFL team.

After watching the young mother of two speak Newman said "it would be worthy of coming on her".
    He later tried to explain it as a slip of a tongue, adding: "I said she's worthy of coming on (the show)."

Channel 9's entertainment executive producer Tim Cleary said Newman meant no offence by his comments.

"There was never any intention to insult Paula Wriedt, and any suggestion to the contrary is grossly unfair. Sam Newman was simply suggesting Ms Wriedt should be a guest on the program given the news of Tasmania's backing," he said in a statement.

"Sam qualified this moments later when he realised he'd been taken out of context. Sam is horrified at suggestions he made a lewd remark about Ms Wriedt, and phoned her to clarify his comment."

Co-host James Brayshaw was clearly upset by the comment and took Newman to task several times. Newman then became defensive and said it was a genuine slip of the tongue.

Co-host Garry Lyon sided with Newman, but news reporter Craig Hutchison appeared unhappy with the comments, saying "that's disgraceful."

Speaking on 3AW this morning AFL chief Andrew Demetriou defended Newman.

"I think it was a slip, I understood what he said, I didn't take the double meaning in it, I understand why people might,'' he said.

"I know James Brayshaw did and he took it up with Sam.

"I'm starting to really in some ways sort of question if everything Sam said is going to be scrutinised and analysed, I think we are going to start becoming terribly unfair.

Demetriou said Newman went out of his way to stress that he did not intend the comment to be sexual.

Newman's comments come just two months after he was ordered by Channel 9 bosses to take a break from the show.

Newman was sent to counselling after he was criticised by some of the AFL's most powerful women for publicly humiliating a female football journalist.

He was urged to seek counselling after almost two months of controversy as he recovered from surgery on a cancerous prostate.

The former VFL star sparked outrage in April when he manhandled a lingerie-clad mannequin on which he had stapled a picture of a football reporter.

In a subsequent show he labelled a group of prominent women in football who worte a letter of protest against him "liars and hypocrites", questioning the role of women in football.

"They serve very little purpose at board level," Newman said.

He returned to the show in an unrepentant fashion last month, dressed as the devil and carrying a bible.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...01-661,00.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I'm no Newman fan, strikes me as a bit of a tragic figure to be honest, but will confess to watching last night and this latest 'gaffe' regarding Tassie pollie Paula Wriedt is a complete and utter beat up. Nothing more than a mistaken slip of the tongue.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm no Newman fan, strikes me as a bit of a tragic figure to be honest, but will confess to watching last night and this latest 'gaffe' regarding Tassie pollie Paula Wriedt is a complete and utter beat up. Nothing more than a mistaken slip of the tongue.
    No Way, he thought he was being funny but he knew what he was saying Have another look at the tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like yet another non issue. Im sure the Age will write articles about it for the next month.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RS. He's like a lightening rod as far as opinions go. Don't like him personally, but he can be funny. Pity he often feels the need to belittle others to do it tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Sounds like yet another non issue. Im sure the Age will write articles about it for the next month.
    Well this time he has gone too far, what he said was disgusting to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

No Way, he thought he was being funny but he knew what he was saying Have another look at the tape.
    I agree, that was not a slip of the tongue. It was always leading that way, first he commented about the women's appearance then says it the right way and then the so called joke.
    Slip of tongue-you are kidding me. How many slip of tongues does he have?

It was pretty typical of Lyon to sit on the fence about it again.

Post Thanks / Like

After watching the young mother of two speak Newman said "it would be worthy of coming on her".
    wrong.

"She would be worthy of coming on"

The first comment he made was "we couldn't get her on could we?"

Maybe a slip, maybe not. Only Sam truly knows.

Edit: Maybe not wrong. Need a place to hear it a few times
    Last edited by hujsh; 01-08-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: new revelations

Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't a slip, he would be walking a fine line.
    If it was a slip, he is as stupid as I suspect.

Honestly, the guy is slow. He struggles to keep up with the pace of the show, and if the hosts didn't feed him the pre-scripted lines, he'd be completely useless.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree ... I've watched a replay of the comment a number of times now, and i beleive it was a genuine slip of the tongue.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I agree ... I've watched a replay of the comment a number of times now, and i beleive it was a genuine slip of the tongue.
    If you watch the comment alone you might think that but the lead up is the key.
    The original issue was side tracked by Sam because of her appearance. Say it the right way first then change it around to have sexual overtones.
    There was a immediately a laugh by the footy show b0gans and a groan by a number of people other there. Brayshaw and Hutchison commented as well.

This guys has suppose to have done counciling, he was treading a fine line already, why did he head that way?

Post Thanks / Like

no judge no jury straight to execution.....everyone knows what he meant, to late to worm out of it now!! Sam has got away with his sexist overtones for years and it's time chanel nine did the right thing and put him out of our misery!!
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 01-08-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar