Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace = great for our club

He managed to get a pretty average list into 2 prelim finals.
    His list management skills need work.(To many quick fixes rebuilding the list at WB and Rich)
    Dont know enough of the circumstances 'behind the scenes' ( no one does here) when he departed Whitten Oval.
    All in all he was a massive plus for the Dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Never! He left us for financial gain and encouraged players to follow him, he was an ok coach but he was paid handsomely for it. We gave him his start and he walked out of the club once established. Dirty, low lying scum of the earth is Wallace. If you don't want to be at our club good riddance as some players said at the time. Richmond deserve everything they get and they are getting it. He will be sacked at the end of next year and he will fade into oblivion. Another great Hawk will be remembered for what he did at the club, but not Wallace. I feel like punching his face in every time I see it. Thank you for this opportunity castrate him once again T&T.
    I bet you didn't talk like that when we made the finals four years in a row.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    His list management skills need work.(To many quick fixes rebuilding the list at WB and Rich)
    Dont know enough of the circumstances 'behind the scenes' ( no one does here) when he departed Whitten Oval.
    Agree with most of your post except the average team comment. He inherited a Grant, Smith, Darcy, Johnno, West, Croft, all at their peak, along with others such as the three amigos, a young Nathan Brown etc etc. What he didn't do was recruit in the 1996, 97, 98 drafts, some young players, instead he went for the ready made and this hurt us badly from 2001, to 2004 as those young players should have been around the 100 game player stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I bet you didn't talk like that when we made the finals four years in a row.
    Well then your money would be well placed. Of course I didn't, isn't hindsight is a beautiful thing? The nature of his exit eradicates the positives of his time with us IMO. I am a 1eyedog, if you are not with us you're against us and you must be admonished accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Well then your money would be well placed. Of course I didn't, isn't hindsight is a beautiful thing? The nature of his exit eradicates the positives of his time with us IMO. I am a 1eyedog, if you are not with us you're against us and you must be admonished accordingly.
    Although I don't really like Wallace as a person, I thought your criticism was a little harsh, or maybe the words you used to describe him were. As I said in my follow up post. I think he was lucky he inherited some great players coming into their peak of form, however, he did nothing to build the club for the future as he was after instant success. This could have been the pressure he was under from the Board. I too didn't like the way he left the club, but I can also see some postives he left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    I have mixed emotions about his departure these days...he spent quite a bit of time at the Bulldogs and kept coming up with new innovations to continously keep the Dogs in the media.

Obviously in his mind he had exhausted all his avenues and towards the end didn't think he "could take this team any further" that spoke volumes it was his time to go...he just could have orchestrated his departure a little better - in hindsight he probably would have done things differently.
    My annoyance has disipitated towards him - but I always like to give Richmond a good belting whenever we play them.
    He conceded the following summer he was kidding himself if he thought he could have a final game as coach after quitting - it was staggeringly dumb but I respect that he's since admitted that.

I still get a laugh at some of his sprays late 96 in Year of the Dogs. He was pretty good for us as a player as well. I always found it weird that a bloke with a nickname like 'Plough' and played the way he did was instrumental in the 'downhill skiing' gameplan. Still, it should've got us to a GF in 97 and we were very entertaining to watch. Super important in the 'Western' Bulldogs emergence.

Gee he gives the solariums a flogging these days huh? He's looking a tad weatherbeaten - Nathan Brown is the real spoon chaser - has Burton done his knee?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Although I don't really like Wallace as a person, I thought your criticism was a little harsh, or maybe the words you used to describe him were. As I said in my follow up post. I think he was lucky he inherited some great players coming into their peak of form, however, he did nothing to build the club for the future as he was after instant success. This could have been the pressure he was under from the Board. I too didn't like the way he left the club, but I can also see some postives he left behind.
    I got the impression that you were and thanks for voicing it. I can vaguely fathom the positives of him being at the club especially how he turned around the confidence of a down and out team in 97 but I just don't like the man. With a complete lacking of any type of rationale on the subject I think Wallace is a bit of a knob. I should put him in BBs thread about knobs who think they aren't knobs. Anyway, my 1eye view unfortunately skews my better judgement, you're probably right Bornadog, either that or you're more rational or perhaps show better judgement than I.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post

I wouldnt bet on it. There are some very well informed posters on this site.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wouldnt bet on it. There are some very well informed posters on this site.
    Like Mike Sheahen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Like Mike Sheahen.
    or that hujsh character.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Mike Sheahen.

Better informed than him even!

Post Thanks / Like

Twodogs?
    Rocket?
    What about our one and only Coooooon Dog?

Post Thanks / Like

Twodogs?
    Rocket?
    What about our one and only Coooooon Dog?

A very good friend of mine's father was, and still is, very involved in Team Terry. I know a lot of what was said at the time was BS and that there was a lot of stuff that didnt make it to the public domain that impacted on events.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A very good friend of mine's father was, and still is, very involved in Team Terry. I know a lot of what was said at the time was BS and that there was a lot of stuff that didnt make it to the public domain that impacted on events.
    You cant possibly say all that and not elaborate!
    So give us what you know was true!
    I have a freind who is a trainer down there, might ask him how things are going there now, but then again they tend to be hush, hush because they love theyre club and dont want to put them down even if things arent rosy.

Post Thanks / Like

You cant possibly say all that and not elaborate!
    So give us what you know was true!
    I have a freind who is a trainer down there, might ask him how things are going there now, but then again they tend to be hush, hush because they love theyre club and dont want to put them down even if things arent rosy.

All I can say is Terry's circumstances changed considerably over the course of 2002 and forcing him to stay on wouldnt have been the best option for us. If you recall there was some talk about him relocating interstate through that year and Smorgon had a presser with Terry saying 'Never say never'-we may have been better off cutting him loose then.