Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 Finals Wildcard?

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It has to be Rocket Eade ... his game plans and set plays are the best in the business and have been since his time at Sydney ... I think he is our ace up the sleeve
    Not a bad observation at all.

He's managed our list extremely well this year, he's got a lot out of players who I thought would struggle to play a role (Addison, Tiller etc. whilst Williams, Everitt & several others have been rock solid). Finally, our potential has been realised and we're playing to our ability - much of the credit must goto Rocket.

It'll be interesting if Rocket changes anything for the Finals, eg. giving Johnson a more dangerous FP/FF role again, or if we see players like Akermanis singled out at times as the sole FF. Perhaps he may even swing Griffen down back if in need?

Either way, the finals series will be be intriguing and very much a game of chess.

Post Thanks / Like

What about scott west? He will come back and free up all those people doing his job and they will run around and do different stuff and the opposition will freak out.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Word. Firstdog. Word.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker is always gunna be one of those players to shine, but i think Morris could be our savior, keeping 2nd tall forwards to nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    What about scott west? He will come back and free up all those people doing his job and they will run around and do different stuff and the opposition will freak out.
    Maybe those guys doing his job -- Crossy, Boyd -- will be the ones who freak out when they have nothing to do and have to learn to kick again!

Post Thanks / Like

After watching yesterday's game, I'll say Jarrod Harbrow. His willingness to chase, tackle, create contests and take risks was most impressive for a second year player.

As for the turnover in the 3rd quarter, all I'll ask is, why was he left 2 on 1 at half back? Where was the support?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    After watching yesterday's game, I'll say Jarrod Harbrow. His willingness to chase, tackle, create contests and take risks was most impressive for a second year player.

As for the turnover in the 3rd quarter, all I'll ask is, why was he left 2 on 1 at half back? Where was the support?
    In all fairness to Harbrow, I don't think he'll be suiting up come finals time...

I'm gonna go with Higgins. Like Westy, he's sort of become the forgotten man, and he knows where the goals are, which will come in handy in a close one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Happened quite a lot.

The Geelong team hunted in packs, we didn't.

The Geelong team got number's at the contest, we didn't.

The Geelong player's ran to supprt each other, we didn't.

Well we did in parts, but not for the full 120min like Geelong did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Happened quite a lot.

The Geelong team hunted in packs, we didn't.

The Geelong team got number's at the contest, we didn't.

The Geelong player's ran to supprt each other, we didn't.

Well we did in parts, but not for the full 120min like Geelong did.
    Agree

Agree

Agree

Agree

The best part is ... we are capable ... in the majority of our 15 rounds this year we have done all of the above for the full 120 minutes, and this is what we will have to do again to make it to the last Saturday in September
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Was particularly taken with Geelong's capacity to consistently outnumber us in contested/loose ball situations...two-on-one's, three-on-two's...they're particularly good at creating numerical advantages around the ground where one Dog was left to toil against two or three Cats. They're extremely good at creating the sorts of situations which effectively makes the game easier for themselves.

This produced some mighty singular efforts from some of our boys, mostly early, but you can't remain competitive in the face of that all day.

Reminds me a little of a quote by ice hockey icon Wayne Gretzky, who when once asked about the method behind his five-time Stanley Cup winning Edmonton Oilers' domination of the NHL during the 80's declared that they simply broke their opponents down by "two-on-one'ing" them into submission.

Provided the work rate's there there's no physical or skill barrier to applying ourselves in this way. It's a matter of playing intelligent football.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

There's a photo in the Herald Sun this morning that perfectly illustrates this point - Joel Corey turning with the footy (presumably towards the forward 50) and behind him running forward with intent are five Cats just out of focus, Harley & Scarlett amongst them. You can see one Dog on the edge of the pic backtracking. Fair reflection of the whole game and their very successful game plan.

I thought the Herald Sun's 'Cats expose Dogs as pretenders' on the front page yesterday was a bit harsh. Eade may just keep a copy of that headline