Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs whacked with measuring stick

Western Bulldogs whacked with measuring stick

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-19742,00.html

THE Western Bulldogs didn't just lose a game on Saturday, they lost a large slice of credibility. Self-belief in similar proportions, too, I suspect.

A 10-goal thumping was the worst result imaginable for the Doggies at Skilled Stadium.

Not just for the margin, for Geelong wins by an average 50 points these days, more the fact so few of the Bulldogs played anywhere near their best.

Probably none of them, actually. Against a Geelong team minus Gary Ablett, Cameron Ling and David Wojcinski.

Perhaps the Cats are that good. Or have the Doubting Thomases been proven correct about the Dogs?

The match may have been all tied up at halftime, but the momentum was blue and white: 17 scores to 12, 247 possessions to 187.

Geelong surged in the second half of the third quarter, then kicked eight goals to one with the breeze in the final term.

The Cats had the best 6-8 players in the game; the Doggies had eight players who didn't register more than a dozen possessions.

That's a fatal stat when the big guns such as Robert Murphy, Dale Morris, Brad Johnson and Jason Akermanis are off their game, while poor Will Minson just couldn't find anywhere to hide.

The problem now is the Doggies can't be sure whether they can stand up in September until September comes round.

They have a win over what was a depleted Hawthorn in Launceston, but they need a big scalp or two in the run home, Sydney and North Melbourne, for example.

It's not panic stations, of course, for it was just the second loss of the season.

Geelong also was hammered by Collingwood early in the season, so even the best can hit the odd hurdle.

The concern, though, is the quality of the Hudson-Minson ruck partnership, the query at centre half-back and a forward set-up which, while even, doesn't have a star.

Johnson, you say? Not sure Johnno is what Johnno was, as 29 goals from 16 games suggests.

The Bulldogs need Tom Williams and Shaun Higgins in their best line-up.

Williams isn't far away, but he is what you may safely term a risky conveyance, given his injury record, while Higgins has played just two games this year.

The Doggies have to put Saturday behind them, regroup for Carlton next Sunday, and make sure they finish second or third, which will mean they dodge Geelong in the first week of the finals.

No disgrace to fail against the Cats, just lessons to be learned.

It's Hawthorn's turn this week - the MCG on Friday night - and the Hawks also had a reality check of their own Saturday night.

They flirted with their form early in the game, when they should have led by 50 points, and paid the price when St Kilda found rhythm and confidence.

They will learn exactly where they are at Friday night.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs whacked with measuring stick

Dont you just love Sheahens rubbish, dont know if we can stand up in September until September comes? Well what club does????
    It was a thumping but Geelong average 9 goal wins!
    Considering in his analogy we had so many players down, well its good we only got done by the average, doesnt that mean we will be better next time?
    We lost credibility but no disgrace losing to the cats, just a lesson to be learned!
    A man who states the bleeding obvious and also contradicts himself in the same story.
    Did Damien Barrett give him lessons in how to write upsidedown and insideout?

Crizza Guest

Telling the truth never sells papers - over analyzing, speculation and mass over reaction does.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never felt less concerned about a 10 goal loss.

The game had a few defining moments: Johno's miss after the Dogs bottled the ball in the Cats defense for what seemed an eternity. Again Johno giving away 50 m penalty (a bit stiff) which resulted in a Cats goal, and Harbrow's turnover resulting in a Cats goal. Thats 18 points in the context of the match that decided the outcome. And then there was Ackers snap that just missed, his run into an open goal that just missed and our ruck missing a sitter. There were times where we were 12-14 points in front and I felt getting the next goal would have killed the Cats mentally, but we just didn't get that one goal.

What was disappointing was the final quarter but I could sense that the first goal would be make or break for either side. When the Cats scored, I saw the disappointed sigh from Gilbee and his head dropped immediately. That was it for us.

But, remember this is the Cats best game all year, they were put under the pump for 3 quarters, more so than by any other team this year, at their home ground, whose small size and swirly wind suits them more than us.

The match was a lot closer than 10 goals, BUT I am a realist: we're probably the third best team ( my pick is for a Sydney-Geelong GF) and we NEED a tall key forward to take the next step. I hear some big, bad bloke up north can play a bit and is out of contract at the end of the year...

Post Thanks / Like

A 10-goal thumping was the worst result imaginable for the Doggies at Skilled Stadium.

Not just for the margin, for Geelong wins by an average 50 points these days, more the fact so few of the Bulldogs played anywhere near their best.

Probably none of them, actually. Against a Geelong team minus Gary Ablett, Cameron Ling and David Wojcinski.
    I would have thought the worst result imaginable was if all our players played at their best, and we still lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Sheahan rates next to Caro and Pat Smith as the worst writers-pretending-to-be-journalists in the Melbourne sporting landscape. The sports pages are nigh unreadable these days.

Thank goodness for WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

What a piece of s..t, there is nothing worse than having to read what this idiot thinks.
    Yes we did loose badly but it is nothing to worry about, as long as we make up for this loss and continue to play well from now on.

Finals is nothing like the home and away season, if it was Port would have won the premiership because they beat geelong during the home and away season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The problem now is the Doggies can't be sure whether they can stand up in September until September comes round.

They have a win over what was a depleted Hawthorn in Launceston, but they need a big scalp or two in the run home, Sydney and North Melbourne, for example.
    Hmmm...the same Sydney we beat in Sydney?

And I would hardly call the Hawthorn we beat depleted...they were only missing Stuart Dew, a handy player at best, and Luke Hodge, an admitted gun, but not worth 5 goals.

Just what exactly identifies a big scalp...is it top 4 teams, against whom we are 2 from 3, or top 8 teams, where we go 6 from 8?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I've never felt less concerned about a 10 goal loss.

The game had a few defining moments: Johno's miss after the Dogs bottled the ball in the Cats defense for what seemed an eternity. Again Johno giving away 50 m penalty (a bit stiff) which resulted in a Cats goal, and Harbrow's turnover resulting in a Cats goal. Thats 18 points in the context of the match that decided the outcome. And then there was Ackers snap that just missed, his run into an open goal that just missed and our ruck missing a sitter. There were times where we were 12-14 points in front and I felt getting the next goal would have killed the Cats mentally, but we just didn't get that one goal.

What was disappointing was the final quarter but I could sense that the first goal would be make or break for either side. When the Cats scored, I saw the disappointed sigh from Gilbee and his head dropped immediately. That was it for us.

But, remember this is the Cats best game all year, they were put under the pump for 3 quarters, more so than by any other team this year, at their home ground, whose small size and swirly wind suits them more than us.

The match was a lot closer than 10 goals, BUT I am a realist: we're probably the third best team ( my pick is for a Sydney-Geelong GF) and we NEED a tall key forward to take the next step. I hear some big, bad bloke up north can play a bit and is out of contract at the end of the year...

Yip who happened to barrack for the dogs growing up......still do we really need him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    [/B]

Yip who happened to barrack for the dogs growing up......still do we really need him

Not him, Johnno Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Not him, Johnno Brown.
    A fully-fit Johnathan Brown at full forward would turn the Bullies into an almost unbeatable team.

We currently don't have anyone that can take and hold an overhead mark: Minno i read has grabbed but failed to hold more marks than anyone in the AFL, Johnstone can't hold them overhead like he used to, Hahn is too short, and Acker, Murphy and Gia don't have the height and strength to win the contested overhead mark. If you have a look at goals this year they have been scored mostly by some really talented small forwards from free play. Not many (apart from Welsh who too often leads wide to the pockets) have been scored after a fast lead and overhead mark, or a contested mark in a pack. When these small forwards are held by tall strong defenders (like Geelong), or if the midfield is under pressure and unable to deliver low chest passes to them we struggle, ALOT. Having Brown as target upfront or in the goal square with our skillful midfield ramming it down his throat all day would be unstoppable, the guy would kick the 100 year on year.

Post Thanks / Like

A fully-fit Johnathan Brown at full forward would turn the Bullies into an almost unbeatable team.
    Don't disagree at all Stefcep & welcome to WOOF.

Hypothetical, Johnno Brown does an Aker & says he wants to play for the Bulldogs. What would be required to facilitate this trade.

A tough exercise & we probably won't have a round 1 pick to trade (assuming we are required to use it on Ayce Cordy) & with Brown out of contract Brisbane could huff & puff about sending him into the PSD if they aren't adequately compensated, but it won't happen. If he wants out, they'll deal.

What would be required to compensate Brisbane reasonably?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Don't disagree at all Stefcep & welcome to WOOF.

Hypothetical, Johnno Brown does an Aker & says he wants to play for the Bulldogs. What would be required to facilitate this trade.

A tough exercise & we probably won't have a round 1 pick to trade (assuming we are required to use it on Ayce Cordy) & with Brown out of contract Brisbane could huff & puff about sending him into the PSD if they aren't adequately compensated, but it won't happen. If he wants out, they'll deal.

What would be required to compensate Brisbane reasonably?
    We could trade Acker?

Seriously Brown would want a 5 year deal. Brisbane would argue that the dogs would be getting a ready-made superstar for 5 years: thats gonna cost a bundle in $$$ and trade players. Its a tough question to answer. What do Brisbane really need right now? They might want Murphy plus Cooney. Worth it??

Post Thanks / Like

We could trade Acker?

Seriously Brown would want a 5 year deal. Brisbane would argue that the dogs would be getting a ready-made superstar for 5 years: thats gonna cost a bundle in $$$ and trade players. Its a tough question to answer. What do Brisbane really need right now? They might want Murphy plus Cooney. Worth it??
    No, that's paying overs, tho I'm not too sure what is about right as far as both clubs go.