Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience profile of the team?

Saw this in today's article about Guido:

"Coming into his seventh season with 103 games to his name and turning 25 next month"

Made me wonder about the experience profile of the team, ie who has played 0-50 games, 50 -100, 100- 150 and 150 - 200 games?

Is 100 games the magic number to be considered an "experienced" AFL player?

We must have a few now like Hargrave, McMahon, Guido, Harris etc who have played > 100 games.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experience profile of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Saw this in today's article about Guido:

"Coming into his seventh season with 103 games to his name and turning 25 next month"

Made me wonder about the experience profile of the team, ie who has played 0-50 games, 50 -100, 100- 150 and 150 - 200 games?

Is 100 games the magic number to be considered an "experienced" AFL player?

We must have a few now like Hargrave, McMahon, Guido, Harris etc who have played > 100 games.
    In years gone by a 100 games was nothing to special but now it is quite an achievement. I regard players that have reached 80 games as significantly experienced and probably guys in the 120 to 180 as hitting their prime. Guido turns 25 next month and must start to play the type of consistent football that the article is all about.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's an experienced player now, as is Murphy, Hargrave, Gilbee, Harris etc.

Once you reach that 100 game mark or there abouts, you step up to the next "level". You divert from being a youngster trying to improve, to a player trying to establish consistency. Of course that's not the case all the time, and there's always room for improvement in other areas aside from consistency, but ultimately that's what's expected of you once you reach 100+ games.

This year is a very important year for the Club and particuarly players like Giansiracusa who have been at the Club for a while now and shown he's a very capable footballer. Unnfortunately, he's yet to completely stamp his authority on the competition due to injuries the last couple of years, but I'm a firm believer that if Gia is able to stay on the park, he'll have a huge impact and will finish in the Top 4 for our Best & Fairest.

He's got all the tools to be a very, very dangerous player and one of our best. This could be the year - and he'll certainly be hoping so - that he's able to play 22 games + Finals because up until he's suffered these injuries, he has been on fire.

I'm looking forward to him, I rate him as high as anyone.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Bulldogs Bite. Looking at our list we have a number of the guys from the 99 draft that have played a heap of footy and are experienced types. Add McMahon, Harris, Cross, Power plus Cooney, Ray and Griffen and the young prime movers on the list have played a fair bit of football.

I think Eade would consider this list more than ready to make another move forward.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Thought this table might be useful. I've left off anyone with less than 20 games

Interesting the gap below 65 games, and that 20 players have more than 60 games.

Now we have a group of 7 at 190+, 7 from 90-150, 6 from 60- 80 and 6 from 35 -50. There's a nice balance to it and sufficient experience to support younger players as they come into the side. This is probably one reason why we were able to keep going last year when injuries struck.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see from the table why we struggled a few years ago as there is a huge deficiency of players from around 130 to 200. The Wallet years where he didn't recruit from around 1996 to 1999 left us with a team in the early 2000 with a gap between the the top players and the new recruits of 1999. Although not many people rate Rhode as a coach after Wallet left, he didn't really have much to play with as the 1999 recruits still hadn't played 50 games, there wasn't much around between 50 to 150 and then we had the 150 plus players. Now I believe we have a very good balanced team and feel that once West, Johnno. Grant, Darcy retire we have a good batch to take over as well as another two batches coming up from the past couple of drafts.

Great table Alwaysadog

Palace03 Guest

The team now has a very good spread of experience. With Rocket's trading and Claytons recruiting we have a great chance of sustained success. There is alot of talent at the bottom of the list and not even on the list yet, meaning there are adequate replacements, for when the guys up the top finish up.

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely table. I love a good stat.

Ryan Griffen only 41 games? Goodness it seems like more than that. He is going to be a monster. Mr Morris too.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    Lovely table. I love a good stat.

Ryan Griffen only 41 games? Goodness it seems like more than that. He is going to be a monster. Mr Morris too.
    When you consider that we have Ray, Morris and Griffen all on about 40 games by the end of the season we will have a very good experienced group all coming through at the same time.
    Whilst we are going to lost some of the best players we have ever seen in the red,white and blue in the coming years there is some excellent prospects to take over from them.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    When you consider that we have Ray, Morris and Griffen all on about 40 games by the end of the season we will have a very good experienced group all coming through at the same time.
    Whilst we are going to lost some of the best players we have ever seen in the red,white and blue in the coming years there is some excellent prospects to take over from them.
    The signs are that the next generation of top players are beginning to emerge and to play with a consistency that should mean we lose little when the big 4 retire. For those who like a good table. The age spread is quite good but the gap previously talked about that Rohde faced is evident in the 26-29 group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Thought this table might be useful. I've left off anyone with less than 20 games

Interesting the gap below 65 games, and that 20 players have more than 60 games.

Now we have a group of 7 at 190+, 7 from 90-150, 6 from 60- 80 and 6 from 35 -50. There's a nice balance to it and sufficient experience to support younger players as they come into the side. This is probably one reason why we were able to keep going last year when injuries struck.
    In the 50 - 100 games players we only have two talls in Street and Harris.

Not good.

And only really Everitt and possibly The Man Who Never Was* waiting in the wings. Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.

* Tom Williams

Post Thanks / Like

How much more has Wight got to do to impress you DR? Surely he has done enough for most of our supporters to suggest that he will, at least, be able to play a reasonable role in our backline?

Post Thanks / Like

Reasonable role? Yes. CHB? Dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Reasonable role? Yes. CHB? Dunno.
    He's come a long way in a short period of time. The question mark is on if he can hold CHB and while I don;t think he is quite ready for it he could be by the seasons end.
    With Hargrave and Grant along with Harris, Morris and Wight I think we have enough key defensive options. I think McDougall will also spend some time there as well.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Add Everitt and Williams to that list also by seasons end I should think.