Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experience profile of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    And aside from Grant, how many tall forwards have we had in the last 15 years?

Everitt appears to have ben recruited for CHB, and Eade has often said that Williams was drafted as a power forward.

If these two come off and maybe McDougall we will be OK in four years time, but we could be in trouble for a couple of years when Grant retires.
    Del-re, Bandy, Ballantyne, Cook, Charles & Grgic could play forward, Minton-Connell (probably not tall enough), Jackovich, James, Wiggins, Bartlett, Wells, Skipper, Rawlings, Dooley more of a ruck, Round & Saunders, Campbell?, Standfield, Was the Tin-Man tall enough?

Hope i didn't miss anyone.

Good small forwards though in Hudson, Garlic, Osborne etc.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    Del-re, Bandy, Ballantyne, Cook, Charles & Grgic could play forward, Minton-Connell (probably not tall enough), Jackovich, James, Wiggins, Bartlett, Wells, Skipper, Rawlings, Dooley more of a ruck, Round & Saunders, Campbell?, Standfield, Was the Tin-Man tall enough?
    Aside from Bartlett and the great James Cook, no real stars there over a number of seasons.

Isn't it a bit odd over several different coaches, recruiters etc that for lamost 20 years we've had no A grade talls aside from Grant? No disrespect to Croft, Kretuik etc
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from Bartlett and the great James Cook, no real stars there over a number of seasons.

Isn't it a bit odd over several different coaches, recruiters etc that for lamost 20 years we've had no A grade talls aside from Grant? No disrespect to Croft, Kretuik etc
    Odd or a black mark on them all?

I think (hope) things are changing. We have potentially good talls but are under developed in Tiller and Walsh even Doogs, said Eade. We have Williams who is the new Great White Hope and emerging players like Wight and Harris.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I was more of the understanding that Williams would play a key defensive post - at least early in his career. However, with the coming on of Wight, perhaps a position in the forward line will be Williams best spot.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dry Rot;2290]How long has Skipper been in the system?

Skipper was our last pick in his year and bottom age. If you recall DR, it was the year we went media mad and let the TV people broadcast conversations at our table. There was a phoney discussion for the microphone about meeting our need to take a tall later in the draft and it turned out to be Skip, with the last pick.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=alwaysadog;2445]
    How long has Skipper been in the system?

Skipper was our last pick in his year and bottom age. If you recall DR, it was the year we went media mad and let the TV people broadcast conversations at our table. There was a phoney discussion for the microphone about meeting our need to take a tall later in the draft and it turned out to be Skip, with the last pick.
    That conversation was a choice between Shane Birss or Guy Richards.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Sockeye Salmon;2572]
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post

That conversation was a choice between Shane Birss or Guy Richards.
    Who do you think would have been the better selection? Birss certainly settled in quicker but Richards still looks like he could be an effective ruckman if he can stay fit.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=southerncross;2579]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

Who do you think would have been the better selection? Birss certainly settled in quicker but Richards still looks like he could be an effective ruckman if he can stay fit.
    Correct and in opting for Birss, Clayton said he could meet our need for a tall later in the draft and the later tall was Skip.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very vocal on the old Bulldogs forum at the time in saying we should have taken the big guy. Like now, it was clear back then we were going to run into trouble with ruckmen.

Wallace said in a post-draft interview that he thought our ruck division was very good. At the time it consisted of Scott Wynd (on his last legs [or should that be leg?]), Luke Darcy and Paul Dooley. Not too many of us thought Paul Dooley would be able to cover for Darce getting hurt.

Had we drafted Richards instead of Birss we may not have needed to waste a top 20 draft pick on Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I was very vocal on the old Bulldogs forum at the time in saying we should have taken the big guy. Like now, it was clear back then we were going to run into trouble with ruckmen.

Wallace said in a post-draft interview that he thought our ruck division was very good. At the time it consisted of Scott Wynd (on his last legs [or should that be leg?]), Luke Darcy and Paul Dooley. Not too many of us thought Paul Dooley would be able to cover for Darce getting hurt.

Had we drafted Richards instead of Birss we may not have needed to waste a top 20 draft pick on Street.
    While I have a lot of time for Clayton this pick has always puzzled me. Clearly there was a lot to like about Birss characterwise and in the way he went about his footy but we needed another tall. Richards may have been the answer but so far he has not shown enough to suggest so, certainly he has looked promising at times but over the last few years he was no more able to string together a succession of games than Birss did. These are of course famous last words that will be brought back to haunt me whenever he plays a good game against us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really don't count any one below about 193 as a tall in this day and age, so that cuts out at least 6 on your list. Also I am pretty sure Sam power is below 190 but Baird is now listed at 193. This leaves us with only 4 talls with more than 50 games experience and two of those are ageing. Surely this goes back to poor recruiting, again as mentioned previuosly in the Wallet years.
    I had a look again at the height of the team and the new revamped website now has Baird listed as 192cm and Power is still 189cm........... for those of you interested

Post Thanks / Like

I had a look again at the height of the team and the new revamped website now has Baird listed as 192cm and Power is still 189cm........... for those of you interested
    I blame all the weights they are doing. It's obvious that all that heavy weight lifting is shrinking them.

Post Thanks / Like

Baird was originally listed at 193cm but I think he is just 190cm. I saw him standing near Skipper a month ago and Skip is supposed to be 193cm as well and yet he was a fair bit taller.
    Bulldog Pride will never die