Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experience profile of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    In the 50 - 100 games players we only have two talls in Street and Harris.

Not good.

And only really Everitt and possibly The Man Who Never Was* waiting in the wings. Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.
    * Tom Williams
    Surely this is no surprise. We have talked endlessly over the last few years about the need for talls. Fortunately we don't need a lot, but we do need to find a couple more soon.

Let's hope some of the following are OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson will be a player, no doubt about it. So much experience at such a young age already, which is outstanding for a ruckmen. Over the next few years I'm sure he'll add some more strings to his bow and become a very important player for us (not that he isn't already).

Wight looks about right to take the step, McDougall has been promising thus far, Williams will surely come good at some stage, Walsh hmmm, Baird seems to be coming along ok - at least he can get out onto the park, Everitt looks promising, and O'Shea will be an interesting one to watch too. A late pick that will hopefully wind up being a big winner like Harris.

Overall I think we are looking ok. Getting McDougall over was a good move, as it adds another slightly older taller player onto the list, whose body is ready for the rigors of AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not convinced with Wight, Tiller an unknown, Walsh and Skipper are probably duds.

Wight has done everything to indicate he will be a player-I wouldnt have him down as an unknown. Tall, athletic and fast he is starting to believe he belongs in the AFL.

I dont believe that Walsh is a dud at all and still think that he will be a valuable player for us. One day he'll get his body right and play good footy.

After saturday my confidence in Skipper ever making it has diminished. we were awful whenever he went into the ruck.

Also dont write off Power's ability to hold down a key position.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the only reason we will persist with Skipper is that he can ruck if needed. Unless Wight can play a role ion the ruck, or McDougall, Skipper will be around for another year or two I think.

Post Thanks / Like

How long has Skipper been in the system?

If we are say in the top 3 for young midfielders, how would rate us for young talls?

My best guess would be bottom 8 and possibly bottom 4.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

How long has Skipper been in the system?

If we are say in the top 3 for young midfielders, how would rate us for young talls?

My best guess would be bottom 8 and possibly bottom 4.
    Taken with our pick after Crossy in 2000!

This year is his 7th on our list. IMO, it's probably going to be his last, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Surely this is no surprise. We have talked endlessly over the last few years about the need for talls. Fortunately we don't need a lot, but we do need to find a couple more soon.

Let's hope some of the following are OK.

I really don't count any one below about 193 as a tall in this day and age, so that cuts out at least 6 on your list. Also I am pretty sure Sam power is below 190 but Baird is now listed at 193. This leaves us with only 4 talls with more than 50 games experience and two of those are ageing. Surely this goes back to poor recruiting, again as mentioned previuosly in the Wallet years.

Post Thanks / Like

So you wouldn't classify the mighty Pav as a tall player?

Geez, I'd sure love him at CHF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really don't count any one below about 193 as a tall in this day and age, so that cuts out at least 6 on your list. Also I am pretty sure Sam power is below 190 but Baird is now listed at 193. This leaves us with only 4 talls with more than 50 games experience and two of those are ageing. Surely this goes back to poor recruiting, again as mentioned previuosly in the Wallet years.
    Dunno that Clayton has got us some guns in Wells, Walsh etc

If Williams AND Everitt don't both come off, we could be in trouble in the future.

Ditto lack of good young ruckmen coming through (Minson aside).

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno that Clayton has got us some guns in Wells, Walsh etc

If Williams AND Everitt don't both come off, we could be in trouble in the future.

Ditto lack of good young ruckmen coming through (Minson aside).
    I don't think we should be be writing them off at all. It takes time to develop talls and just because a couple of them haven't measured up yet it doesn't mean that the others wont.

I don't think we will be in trouble given we still have plenty of options.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think we should be be writing them off at all. It takes time to develop talls and just because a couple of them haven't measured up yet it doesn't mean that the others wont.

I don't think we will be in trouble given we still have plenty of options.
    My thoughts exactly. We gave some of our smalls 4 or5 years to get the body and the game to be competitive. If it takes longer and all the informed advice says that it does then we are just on the cusp of some success with our talls and have a ready supply to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    My thoughts exactly. We gave some of our smalls 4 or5 years to get the body and the game to be competitive. If it takes longer and all the informed advice says that it does then we are just on the cusp of some success with our talls and have a ready supply to follow.
    For the next few years we are going to have to rely on Minson, Street, Harris and McDougall and maybe even Skipper as they are the next experienced lot. Grant will be gone by the end of year and Darcy will be pushing 33 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For the next few years we are going to have to rely on Minson, Street, Harris and McDougall and maybe even Skipper as they are the next experienced lot. Grant will be gone by the end of year and Darcy will be pushing 33 next year.
    Quite right we are not going to be able to fix the problem immediately. The attempt to do that occurred in the Rohde year. We don't just have the ones we rely on, what we want is some increasing support from others. That is my hope for latre this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    So you wouldn't classify the mighty Pav as a tall player?

Geez, I'd sure love him at CHF.
    I would love him at CHF as well, but he is not what I call a tall @ 191.

Too often in the past we have tried to make talls out of Croft, Ellis, Hargrave, Morris, Kretuik, but when these guys are pitted against Richo, Rocka, Hall, G Train, they are pip squeks and don't have a chance. Other than Harris, we haven't developed anyone with size in the backline. We now have plans to do so with Wight, Walsh and maybe McDougall. In Fact can you remember from the past 20 years who we have had with any decent size in the backline? Other than Harris and Chris Grant part time, we have to go way back to when we had Rick Kennedy and Foster in the 80's and actually they weren't that big either ( but for the times I would class them as talls as the players were alot shorter then).

Post Thanks / Like

And aside from Grant, how many tall forwards have we had in the last 15 years?

Everitt appears to have ben recruited for CHB, and Eade has often said that Williams was drafted as a power forward.

If these two come off and maybe McDougall we will be OK in four years time, but we could be in trouble for a couple of years when Grant retires.