Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 296970717273747576777879
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1185

Thread: Trading

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trading

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't disagree with this and the timing was the real reason we knocked back their offer but really why go through the spiel of "he's a top 20 player and others agree with us" when its not true?

Others in the club will now gauge themselves against Hill and could potentially have an over inflated opinion of their own worth.

We should have simply said to the Hawks that by the close of proceedings on Friday that was our deadline if they wanted to deal with us.
    Happy to agree with you on all of the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Too hard to say IMO.

Plenty of introverted types would have an appetite for the contest, just as many extroverted types would hesitate on the football field.

You don't have to be an extrovert to work hard. If you're working hard and making making mistakes, you'll be assisted/guided. If you're not working hard, then rightly so - you'll probably be canned.

Hill needs to be pushed further up the ground though. He's certainly stagnated/become stale sitting in the forward half. Needs to get back to moving around, tends to wait for the easy ball as a forward.
    Thoughtful comments. I agree. I am a strong introvert and I did not respond to all my footy coaches. I felt they did not appreciate me but I think this came from my own obsession with myself. I found footy success when I thought f.. this, I'll just back myself and go for it, believe in myself. This could be true of Josh and Andrej.
    Eades immediate success with us when he joined was because he inspired confidence in the players, taught them to back themselves. He is good at giving players confidence. Hill and Everritt can't balme EAde. The best form of help is self help. They need to persist and find confidence in their own performances.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys like Cross are and Morris are introverted, but they have a burning desire to improve and succeed.

I think Eade has little tolerance for players who dont have that initiative and internal drive. Some people are like that, they just prefer/need to be told what to do, constantly. And if nobody tells them what to do, they end up doing nothing. People like that need rigid structure to get the best out of them.

Hows that for idle speculation?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the gist of what everyone is saying is that they don't think Eade can get the best out of players who don't have the necessary desire and application to get the best out of themselves. Whether that is his fault or not is a different issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I think the gist of what everyone is saying is that they don't think Eade can get the best out of players who don't have the necessary desire and application to get the best out of themselves. Whether that is his fault or not is a different issue.
    If you don't have the necessary desire and application you won't get the best out of yourself. It's got nothing to do with Eade or anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If you don't have the necessary desire and application you won't get the best out of yourself. It's got nothing to do with Eade or anyone else.
    Agreed

Trying to motivate people can be a waste of time - not everyone will agree with that, and I stress I'm saying it can be (i.e sometimes it can be worthwhile) but I believe the only way you can truly motivate someone is by pointing them to the nearest mirror.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, but is it really about desire or application with Hill (or Everitt for that matter)? My understanding is they both trained solidly, looked after their diets all those sorts of things...pretty dedicated guys. Both play the game in a laconic way - that isn't coaching - that is a reflection of their personality. Hill is always going to be that way.

If we as supporters, the coaches or even Josh himself is expecting him to turn into some kind of rampaging bull because of what happened during trade week or his disappointment at being left out of the finals side or whatever, then we are all delusional.

He is who he is. Getting the best out of him is making sure there is a role within the team for a player of his ilk and not asking him to do things he can't...I guess this is coaching, but winning games and establishing a repeatable game-plan are more important than trying to bend things around for one player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Agreed, but is it really about desire or application with Hill (or Everitt for that matter)? My understanding is they both trained solidly, looked after their diets all those sorts of things...pretty dedicated guys.
    Hill came back from his break last season considerably overweight and not in any condition to join in with the rest of pre-season training without risking injury.

He had to be placed on a program designed to get him into a condition where he could join in with the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Hill came back from his break last season considerably overweight and not in any condition to join in with the rest of pre-season training without risking injury.

He had to be placed on a program designed to get him into a condition where he could join in with the rest.
    Fair enough.

Mind you, I hate the '...without risking injury' part of it. Is there an old-school element to any fitness and conditioning team these days?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, but is it really about desire or application with Hill (or Everitt for that matter)? My understanding is they both trained solidly, looked after their diets all those sorts of things...pretty dedicated guys. Both play the game in a laconic way - that isn't coaching - that is a reflection of their personality. Hill is always going to be that way.

If we as supporters, the coaches or even Josh himself is expecting him to turn into some kind of rampaging bull because of what happened during trade week or his disappointment at being left out of the finals side or whatever, then we are all delusional.

He is who he is. Getting the best out of him is making sure there is a role within the team for a player of his ilk and not asking him to do things he can't...I guess this is coaching, but winning games and establishing a repeatable game-plan are more important than trying to bend things around for one player.
    Ok, but there's a huge difference between a raging bull and a stale flounder.
    I'm afraid Josh (and Everitt) or both guilty of resembling the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post! I wish I'd written this.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.

Mind you, I hate the '...without risking injury' part of it. Is there an old-school element to any fitness and conditioning team these days?
    I thought that until 2009.

Malcolm Lynch went back to Darwin (Tiwi Islands?) for Christmas with his training program in his pocket - where it remained until he found it when he got back to Melbourne. Lynch enthusiastically told our fitness people he did the program while he was away.

Lynch then promptly joined in pre-season training and ripped his hammy pretty bad. Davoren immediately questioned how much work he'd been doing and Lynch fessed up he hadn't done anything at all.

Lynch's paper's were marked when he explained to Eade that the reason he couldn't do any running while he was away because, "as a footy star I get mobbed everywhere I go so it was impractical to try to go for a run".

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that until 2009.

Malcolm Lynch went back to Darwin (Tiwi Islands?) for Christmas with his training program in his pocket - where it remained until he found it when he got back to Melbourne. Lynch enthusiastically told our fitness people he did the program while he was away.

Lynch then promptly joined in pre-season training and ripped his hammy pretty bad. Davoren immediately questioned how much work he'd been doing and Lynch fessed up he hadn't done anything at all.

Lynch's paper's were marked when he explained to Eade that the reason he couldn't do any running while he was away because, "as a footy star I get mobbed everywhere I go so it was impractical to try to go for a run".
    Hahahahaha. That's really made my night.

Eade's BS detector would have required a full re-fit after that!

Post Thanks / Like

This is what hampered my footy career.
    That and limited ability.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    This is what hampered my footy career.
    That and limited ability.
    I heard about a bloke playing senior footy in his 40's on the NSW south coast.