Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
The most equitable way for the draw is to base the whole draw over three seasons where everyone plays each other twice on a rotation basis. I really don't like the way the AFL has contrived the draw so that Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton play each other twice, as well as the so called traditional matches like Anzac day, Queens birthday etc. This leaves clubs like ours with more interstate games. How many times has Collingwood travelled in the past three years, just take a look at their draw. The AFL claim they are maximizing TV rights and crowds, but what its actually doing is making the rich clubs richer and the poor clubs poorer. Now before any one says that clubs like the Western Bulldogs benefit with a payout due to the inequities of the draw, let me tell you this is only a short term gain. Under the present system, all this is doing is giving the Collingwoods, Essendons etc more exposure on TV and therefore more future members. Its not just the free to air normal weeks but you look at an Anzac day and all the focus it gets, these kids then idiloize these teams. Kids watching TV will grow up to follow these teams. To me the whole thing is a joke. Look at poor old North, the most successful team in the 1990's and they are struggling for membership, and an identity, all due to lack of exposure and the current system.
This really is the way to go to have any sort of fairness in the draw. Put it together in 2 or 3 year blocks. The AFL can still have Anzac Day every year, each team gets equal Friday night games, and equal exposure. The AFL can tweek with the fixture at the start of each season to ensure the big games for that year are on prime time.