Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commentators

Post Thanks / Like

Commentators

Footy clubs are always changing over their lists in order to improve. They turn over the dead wood and bring fresh players from outside. If a player is blantantly not up to it, other clubs dont tend to pick them up.

Why isnt the same standard imposed for commentators? For example on saturday Tony Shaw not once, but twice, referred to a players 'second sense'. Now I dont know about Tony but I have four senses and I dont know how far I'd get as a player, or in life, if I only used one of them. Tony also mentioned that it might be time for the swans to start using tactics and this was in the third quarter! Had they just been running atround like headless chooks until then? What was John Longmire doing with the headset in the first half? Taking orders at the McDonalds drive through presumably.

I also heard a peice of play where Harbrow went to Lynch who kicked it across to Faulkner-the commentery went something like "Harbrow to the his fellow first gamer who kicks it to another one"-another what? First gamer, Aboriginal? Bulldog player? What?

David Parkin, who I've always had a lot of time for, really struggled and at one stage in the third quarter waffled on about players not even playing being involved in the play.

I dont even want to mention Dwayne Russell's commentary, except to say it was abysmal.

Why do we see the same tired, old faces-and voices-year after year
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Commentators

It's endemic - look at the tools that call the cricket for Ch 9.

Alternatively follow the Swans - you can go to a pub especially to watch a game, then talk so loudly among your friends that you can't the commentators at all. Problem solved.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

On Channel Seven I quite like Commetti and McAveney commentating together, though Bruce will be better for the run. Can't understand what made them go with Watson and Schwarze as 'special' commentators though. And then they put in about a 2 second delay so that any attempt to listen to the radio commentary while watching was painful.

Did quite like the camera shot from high above - would be even better on a widescreen I suspect...

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Shaw is a shocker.

He is even worse on 3AW.

The ox struggled.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

David Parkin really struggled and Colbert is not a natural at all. Fairly insipid performance but the Fox crew on Saturday.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

By the way what did everyone think of SEN's effort over the weekend?
    I found it dead boring and thought Dermott has gone backwards at an alarming rate.
    Some say Dermie's special comments are for the footy purists but I think he needs to keep it focused on the game rather than trying to over complicate things.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    David Parkin really struggled .

That really suprised me. His work on 774ABC the last few seasons has been top notch-him and Stan Alves and Mark mcLure have easily been the gun special comment guys for the last few years.

Parkin looked and sounded very, very old on saturday. Hopefully it was just an off day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    By the way what did everyone think of SEN's effort over the weekend?
    I found it dead boring and thought Dermott has gone backwards at an alarming rate.
    Some say Dermie's special comments are for the footy purists but I think he needs to keep it focused on the game rather than trying to over complicate things.

I must be one of the few who find Dermie enjoyable. I liked how he could stay a step ahead off the play because it's hard to do on TV and I find it frustrating. At least with Dermie doing it foe you, it was less frustrating to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That really suprised me. His work on 774ABC the last few seasons has been top notch-him and Stan Alves and Mark mcLure have easily been the gun special comment guys for the last few years.

Parkin looked and sounded very, very old on saturday. Hopefully it was just an off day.
    I agree because it was a real shock. It didn't start well when he was looking at the wrong camera for what seemed like 2 mins.

Like you I enjoyed his work on the ABC but Saturdays effort was a shocker and he even got the names wrong a few times.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy the ABC commentary, they have a real professionalism about them. I can't stand match day listening to REX, half the time I don't know where the ball is and as for all the screaming......its a joke. When it comes to footy, I am deadly serious, which means I don't like any comedians.

As for TV commentary, I don't know why people rate Denis Commeti highly and Bruce has had his day, he sounds old now.

Time to bring on some new young guns.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also generally a fan of the ABC commentary. Their Friday night line up of Tim Lane, Gerad Wheightley (?), David Parkin and Peter Schwab is often excellent imo. Drew Morphett annoys me though (commentates radio as if it was tv), and while I generally like Dan Lonergan, he tends to get v pessimistic when calling dogs games which frustrates the hades out of me.

Mark McClure's grown on me, didn't like him much at the start. Stan Alves is generally v good and I like the way he gets so involved in it all. I also like Jarrod Malloy and Simon Garlick who think about things a bit and can surprise you, though no great fan of Aussie Jones.

The Coodabeens can be fun on Saturday morning, and I like some of their callers, but I avoid them at all costs any other time.

The ABC were pretty pathetic, however, in their coverage of the Dogs v Sydney game. V pro Sydney coverag with Jarrod Crouch as their 'special' comments - nearly drove me crazy listening to it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Mark McClure's grown on me, didn't like him much at the start.
    I like McClure. If he has an opinion he'll state it and often has a slant that no-one else has thought of. If he has nothing to say then he says nothing-I like that

Stan Alves is generally v good and I like the way he gets so involved in it all. I also like Jarrod Malloy and Simon Garlick who think about things a bit and can surprise you, though no great fan of Aussie Jones.

Alves gets very enthuisiastic about footy and his love for the game is palbable-but he really needs to stop saying "and things like that" at the end of every sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

On Friday nights, if it is a game that I am not that interested in, I won't bother waiting to 8.30 for it to come on TV (usually 8.50 by the time it starts). I just turn on the ABC and listen to a very professional team. They have a good mix with Tim Lane being one of the best callers going around.

I normally listen to 3AW on a Saturday morning and pre game, but I can't stand their call.

I'm glad that SEN has come on board as it's given me another option. I thought they did ok on the weekend, especially BEVA on Sunday.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I often stream the radio online for interstate games, unless I can get them on the radio. I don't mind listening in some times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    and while I generally like Dan Lonergan, he tends to get v pessimistic when calling dogs games which frustrates the hades out of me.

Agree with your comemnts on Dan, god he is such a pessimist, I don't know how he lives with himself.