Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll come out snarling

Mark Stevens | September 09, 2008 12:00am

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has challenged his players to rediscover their fight in Friday's sudden-death final against Sydney. Smorgon said the Dogs "gave in without a yelp" in the qualifying final against Hawthorn, shedding the never-say-die attitude that set up their position in the top four.

"Apart from the first few minutes, at no stage did we look like we were in the contest," Smorgon said.

"That's contrary to the way we've played, even going back to Round 1 when we were four goals or so behind Adelaide and got up to win.

"At no stage did we give up the ghost in other games.

"That was the disappointing thing about Friday night. We just gave in without a yelp, I thought."

But Smorgon has backed the club to respond from the 51-point thumping against the Hawks.

"It would be our worst game for the year. But that's been and gone," Smorgon said.

"I have faith and confidence in our ability as a club to fight back.

"I know people are saying it's the end of the road and the rest of it, but let's just see the response of our club on Friday night before we jump to any conclusions.

"It ain't over yet. There would be 10 other clubs that would love to be playing on Friday night.

"I don't think it's crisis time. I don't think it's anything disastrous."

Fairly or unfairly, the perception of the Dogs' season hinges on what they deliver in two hours on Friday night against the Swans.

Respond and win, booking a preliminary final clash with Geelong, and the Dogs will been seen to have taken significant steps this year.

Even with 15 wins and a draw in the bank after nine wins in 2007, the Dogs will be perceived as a disappointment if they lose to the Swans.

Smorgon said the clash at the MCG was the club's biggest game since the 1998 preliminary final against Adelaide "in terms of opportunity".

"Clearly, everyone in the football world, and others, will be looking to see how the Bulldogs are going to respond," Smorgon said.

"That's the challenge for us as a club. In particular the 22 guys out there Friday night."

Smorgon said a strong showing against the Swans would be a positive in the search for a sponsor to replace the departing Lease Plan, but any business would be taking a long-term view.

"Sponsors don't come in for one or two games. We're talking to a few parties who understand where we're heading and the credentials we have," he said.

Smorgon said any rating of the Bulldogs depended on the benchmarks set.

"Frankly, not many people at the beginning of the year thought we'd play finals," Smorgon said.

"Have we improved on last year in terms of games won, ladder position and development as a club? You'd have to say yes we have.

"On the other hand, have we closed the gap on Geelong? That remains to be seen.

"Hopefully we'll get a chance to show where we're at on Friday or Saturday week.

"Clearly, they're the benchmark and clearly we were exposed in a number of areas by Hawthorn on Friday night."

Smorgon said he had spent no time contemplating the ramifications of another loss this week.

"I'm not going to jump to conclusions of what may or may not happen after that game," Smorgon said.

"If we win, we'll worry about Geelong. If it doesn't work out the way we want, we will critically analyse how we are going to improve again."

Smorgon also made it clear the club needed to be work hard to fill problem areas, regardless of results in coming weeks.

"Clearly there's areas where we need to be very aggressive in recruiting and drafting," he said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: We'll come out snarling

Smorgon also made it clear the club needed to be work hard to fill problem areas, regardless of results in coming weeks.

Its about time that the 'stick' came out...wonder how the players will be motivated by it?

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously he has seen the light, a tall forward?
    Motivated?, is that the problem or just some players arent good enough?
    Funny how things changed, after a few games we all thought the list would much stay the same and only changes to be made were forced ones due to league rules.
    Now its aggressive trading and drafting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Now its aggressive trading and drafting.
    Because we are STUPID.

Things are never as good (see Cats, Geelong) or as bad (see Demons, Melbourne) as they seem. Teams that stick the course, draft or trade for players they truly believe in and then give them every chance to succeed are successful.

Unfortunately, we are in the other category.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Smorgo is losing me I'm afraid.

We were in the contest on a number of occassions, but each time we got close enough we gave up 2 or 3 quick goals to snuff out our attempted comeback's.

And further to that we must be really struggling to attract a sponsor, begged at half time on Friday night, more begging on the back page of the town's footy paper. It doesn't look good.

We lose this week and I can smell a scapegoat sacking coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We lose this week and I can smell a scapegoat sacking coming.
    Agreed - that's why I started that thread about whether Eade will be in trouble.

Fairness and reason my not prevail
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Eade? Seriously? Gee we are 3rd on the ladder for gods sake, no one expected us to be this high up, and now we are, you think the coach should be sacked?
    Sponsorship has nothing to do with Eade.
    I will be shocked if Eade goes, more along the lines of some up top moving around, remember Clayton has gone.
    I think the recruiting manager is a real make or break us decision not coach.
    Rose seems quiet thats worries me, dont want to see him go. He is mean but thats whats needed in the corporate world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why they said scapegoat ledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Thats why they said scapegoat ledge.
    Scapegoat because we did crap in the 3rd final we've played in about 10 years? It seems like an over-reaction to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my view is its not a coach scapegoat its more players or admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Scapegoat because we did crap in the 3rd final we've played in about 10 years? It seems like an over-reaction to me.
    It would be an over reaction. It would be the club looking to blame someone when they shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It would be an over reaction. It would be the club looking to blame someone when they shouldn't.

And this would seem to be the basis of why we've struggled at least during my time of a supporter... no quick fixes this time around please!