Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Prelim Loss

My hope tonight was to see us compete and show we can match it as hope for the future. The result won't matter so much. I believe we did that.

Post Thanks / Like

We had our chances but just came up short. I'm not happy about the loss but we did take it up to them and they are a terrific side. With a couple of bursts of luck at the right time we could have hit the front and who knows what may have been.

I think it's fair to say that we are a top four side but we will have to improve a fair bit to get to the top 2 sides.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We had our chances but just came up short. I'm not happy about the loss but we did take it up to them and they are a terrific side. With a couple of bursts of luck at the right time we could have hit the front and who knows what may have been.

I think it's fair to say that we are a top four side but we will have to improve a fair bit to get to the top 2 sides.
    Absolutely agree.
    I think the obvious area we need to find something is our forward line. We need Grant to push for a spot next year, and we need continued improvement from guys like Everitt, Harbrow, Hill, Cooney, Griffen, Ward, Higgins, Minson and Tiller.

Our older more experienced group need to maintain their form, but it is the younger group where we need the improvement from if we are going to get better as a team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    There are losses and there are losses, and whilst they are all hard to take in their own way, I think we should put things in some perspective.

It's not about accepting close enough is good enough, but I am proud of the way we fought tonight, and indeed came back from a devastating first final loss. They gave it everything and ultimately Geelong are the best team in the competition, which is something we are still aspiring to be.

I think tonights performance is something to build on, framed by the fact that we played a deadset champion team and fell short, on merit, as opposed to a heartbreaking loss where we were the better team that couldn't handle the big stage.
    Yes we missed some easy shots on goal, but the thing is Geelong didn't, that's why they are the best and why we have some way to go.

Make to mistake this will hurt, but it is a hurt you can build on. A hurt that can galvanise a group and push them to learn from Geelong and aspire to go even better next year.

On the flipside This is not a hurt that will crush a team and make them shrink in stature, and lose belief, such as the losses we suffered in 97 & 98.

I sometimes think that given how desperate we supporters are for ultimate success, we see every chance to win a final as THE chance, as opposed to it being one step towards the ultimate prize, and hence we become too crestfallen when THE chance doesn't turn out to be.

I'm disappointed, not devastated. We've come along way, and have overcome to a large extent a number of significant hurdles...We've risen from the floor of a shocking second half of 2007 where we lost alot of respect in the eyes of the opposition- and finished with a deserved top 4 spot in 2008 on the back of a hardened effort at the football, better contested footy, and flair.

Even in the past 8 weeks we've seen this group confronted with old ghosts, that seemingly were about to wash over the group like a tidal wave following our 1st final disaster against the Hawks, and come through the other side with a great win against a finals hardened Sydney. A group that looked bereft of confidence, refound their mojo.

And then everyone expected us to get steamrolled against Geelong, yet we stood tall, and refused to allow them to impose their will for 4 quarters.

Yes we fell short, and there are coulda's woulda's and shoulda's with our missed chances, but I think overall we've taken a step forward in the bigger picture, and I expect us as a group to regroup and go closer to the ultimate prize next year.
    Lovely sentiments, and nicely put, but we tend to feel this way for a reason...it's typically a long time between drinks for the Scrays, and we're all bloody dying of thirst!

I can't wait another decade+ for another crack at a granny.

I implore our boys...remember this game, this finals campaign, this season...use it...take something instructive from it...something inspring from it...something of value...urge yourselves to want more...to progress rather than tread water or worse yet slide backward...and sup from that bloody cup!

Thanks for a stirring, if occasionally familiar year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

It did look like we had the yips in the 3rd and 4th tonight, but I'm not devastated (maybe I should be).

It feels different to 97 and 98 and 85 for that matter.

I was pleased with our last 2 games. There were positives tonight.

Looking forward to next year and just hoping we can find some KPP's, somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Lovely sentiments, and nicely put, but we tend to feel this way for a reason...it's typically a long time between drinks for the Scrays, and we're all bloody dying of thirst!

I can't wait another decade+ for another crack at a granny.

I implore our boys...remember this game, this finals campaign, this season...use it...take something instructive from it...something inspring from it...something of value...urge yourselves to want more...to progress rather than tread water or worse yet slide backward...and sup from that bloody cup!

Thanks for a stirring, if occasionally familiar year.
    I agree wholeheartedly...and your last paragraph is exactly how I feel, and was my ultimate point, and is what it's all about for this group now. But as opposed to 97 where the groups confidence and belief was shattered, and I believe sent us on a downward path culminating in the Rohde-kill years.. I think this is the loss that will steel the group and push them to further improvement next year.
    The looks on the guys faces was very differen to 97.... this HURT in a different way. Almost as if they know what lies ahead if they are to reach the destination, and knowing that they've got it in them. What I saw after 97 was a group that lost their belief.
    I think tonight has lit a fire inside this group, and with some structural adjustments in the off season, I think we can be better next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnascray View Post
    He wasn't the only one. Mitch's was a 2-goal turnaround at a critical point in the game, not to mention Higgins etc. Eagleton and all the others have proved recently that they can still kick the ball. Yips? MCG? Reminded me of '97, just big-stage fright. You could see it on their faces. I think they said 19 of our players had not played in a preliminary final. Unfortunately it's a long time till the next one.
    Watching the Rob Harvey tribute, he was saying after 97 that he thought St Kilda would be back up in GF's for a few years, and clearly that never happened. Our first one in 10 years

Damn proud of this group, up against it without our first choice CHB and a key forward, and if we taken the chances TCD pointed out in the 'Kick a bloody goal' thread then who knows...this feels a lot different to 97-98 to me, it reminds me of Geelong in 04 playing Brisbane, I remember Thompson saying 'that's the standard I expect from them now'

I'd hope it doesn't take us another 4 years to reach our peak. Murphy got so much of the ball and didn't use it - Coons was hurt and played accordingly, these experiences should burn them over summer and they'll come back hard.

I'm watching the replay, anyone with me? I felt pretty bad walking out of the ground but don't feel so bad now.

Oh, and anyone sitting in M3 would have heard the Cats fans in standing room behind the GSS goals - GEEEEELONGGGG...GEEEEEELONG.....SCARRLOOOHHHHHH etc etc

After listening to this European style singing, I'm going for whoever wins tomorrow night.

And one more thing, our fans tonight were loud - props to you all. I think we've all acknowledged we as a larger group can be a bit introverted and quiet - not so tonight. Enjoyed it (and I'm hearing confirmation of this support on the replay - loud response to Aka's first quarter goal)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Bitterly bitterly disapointed we were right in that and shot ourselves in the foot no0 good can come of this because next week I will not be at the g were we all should be

Each and every day for the rest of his life Eagleton should watch that tape
    This one really does hurt
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Bitterly bitterly disapointed we were right in that and shot ourselves in the foot no0 good can come of this because next week I will not be at the g were we all should be

Hahaha do you really want him to develop a complex???

A simple 'Nath, we think you're done' delisting would suffice for mine.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post

I think it's unfair to single out Eagleton on this occasion. Effortwise each and every guy can hold his head up high, however we must as a group get better at handling pressure when shooting for goal.
    WE were great in meeting pressure instinctively tonight, when there was little or no time to think about it.. but as the several set shot misses showed we were not able to handle the pressure when we had time to think about it.
    Geelong are a fantastic side, and this was not a lost opportunity in the truest sense like 97 was. This is a loss and a season we can build from.
    It still hurts though, no doubt, when ultimately after 22 weeks plus 3 finals, your campaign has been for nought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Dead set gone as a productive footballer...and has been so for 2 years.

Doesn't want the footy...can't use it when he gets it...is occupying a spot better utilised by a kid...any kid.

He cost us tonight. Enough all-bloody-ready and show him the door.
    Amen brother. But I was expecting nothing more from the Eagle. Panicky disposal, wrong options, missed goals that should have been nailed, poor tackling technique, half-arsed chasing, he showed it all tonight.

The major disappointment for me in the finals series was Murph. Terribly disappointing tonight and also against the Hawks. His decision making and lack of awareness was dreadful.

The back 6 - take a bow. You were sensational to a man. Tiller's last 2 matches have been a great surprise. Real tackling intensity, smae as Callan. Throw in Addison and we'll have a hard-arse defensive line that will make life hell for the opposition forwards.

That was about as acceptable as a prelim loss can be. Our tackling intensity was fantastic - shame our forward line was impotent after 1/4 time. And our delivery into the forward 50 got progressively worse as the evening wore on and played into Geelong's hands. Boumann and Grant have a major opportunity staring them in the face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Tiller's last 2 matches have been a great surprise.
    Agreed...must confess am not typically a wrap for Tiller in general but was solid versus the Swannies, and even better again this eve...played smart, committed footy with few if any gaffes, against serious opposition...perhaps not saying much, but broached 'best game for the club' territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    smae (sic) as Callan.
    Concur even more strongly...We all know the bloke's courage can't be questioned, but Callan quickly reacquainted himself with senior footy post-layoff, and first game aside, barely skipped a beat with continual improvement as the stakes became greater...Even began to show he was capable of more than garden variety stopping roles and began to involve himself more intrinsically with our counter-attack...Honestly felt he'd play more games in blue and gold than red, white n blue this season but am pleased to declare his fortitude over the year and more particularly last month have more than won me over.

Harbrow, Addison, Callan...I love these blokes and we need more players of this ilk as we weed out the downhill skiers.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with all the sentiments -- disappointment but hope in the future, because we have a very young list and have a lot of improvement left in the group. The older brigade -- Johnno, West, Eagle -- were marginal contributors this year with flashes of brilliance, and the grunt work came from your 100 game players -- Murph, Cross, Boyd, Gilbee et al.

The younger players -- Harbrow and Tiller especially tonight -- showed a bit, and there is a good supporting cast all the way to the bottom of the 22. The structure is the main problem, and here is where your Tom "Project Stop Buddy" Williams and Grants have to fulfill their potential. Minson will also improve next year as a genuine forward target. We are literally two good KPPs away from being truly solid down the spine and a genuine finals chance.

This DOES feel different to '97, where we were clearly the best team and lost it from the neck up, whereas this team is NOT the best team this year but managed to get their heads right to have a good crack. I keep thinking of Geelong themselves the couple of years they got burnt in finals before the playing group got their act together.

This playing group has very few skeletons in the closet, and will have a right crack over the next five years. Geelong are on their way down from next year, the question is if we will be able to get to the top faster than the likes of Hawthorn or Brisbane or God forbid, Carlton. Having said that, looking at all the sides below us on the table, no one is likely to build a solid team the way we have in the near future, so the Cats still remain the challenge. Topple them, and we are the next dynasty.

I can't wait for next year.

--

Signing off from somewhere in hot, humid Asia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think it's unfair to single out Eagleton on this occasion. Effortwise each and every guy can hold his head up high, however we must as a group get better at handling pressure when shooting for goal.
    WE were great in meeting pressure instinctively tonight, when there was little or no time to think about it.. but as the several set shot misses showed we were not able to handle the pressure when we had time to think about it.
    Geelong are a fantastic side, and this was not a lost opportunity in the truest sense like 97 was. This is a loss and a season we can build from.
    It still hurts though, no doubt, when ultimately after 22 weeks plus 3 finals, your campaign has been for nought.
    I don't. It was a dolly and in the context of the game a critical miss. Yes Higgo missed one in the first quarter, Hahn missed one running in and Minno missed one on an angle, this was a set shot in front of goal, to th scoring end of the ground. Watch the replay. He never looked like kicking it! I generally don't single out players, but it was a turning point in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I don't. It was a dolly and in the context of the game a critical miss. Yes Higgo missed one in the first quarter, Hahn missed one running in and Minno missed one on an angle, this was a set shot in front of goal, to th scoring end of the ground. Watch the replay. He never looked like kicking it! I generally don't single out players, but it was a turning point in the game.
    It was.

My concern with it is that he bombed 2 in last week in junk time from outside 50m last week, but couldn't, when the pressure was on make the distance from 45m.

Very dissapointing from an 'outside' player.