Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Prelim Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The major disappointment for me in the finals series was Murph. Terribly disappointing tonight and also against the Hawks. His decision making and lack of awareness was dreadful.

He took 16 marks and must have wasted more than half those disposals, created nothing like we know he can.

Big tick for our defense, these guys were fantastic restricting Geelong to just 4 goals in the second half. Hargrave, brilliant on Johnson, Lake, one of his best games, Morris, truely is the Glove and as others have mentioned, Called, Tiller all did a great job. Gilbee, where would we be without him, he is just brilliant.

Umpiring, a bloody disgrace, especially the Rooke one and many more.

Forward line, a big big dissapointment. Welsh has done nothing for 6 weeks as I mentioned in another thread should have been dropped.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most posters here that it was different to 97,98 but gee it smells a lot like 85 Disgracefull first up effort then brilliant against the roo boys and finally valliant but unable to capitalise on a great effort against the hawks last night bought back far too many memories for me
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Very devastated. We should of won that game last night. All of this beaten by a very good side is bollocks. We were the better side for 3/4 of that game last night but our forwards couldn't do their job. Whilst Eagletons kick was terrible you can't hold him entirely accountable for the loss.
    Hahn should of nailed his. Minson should of kicked his. Shaggy sould of kicked his as we know he's a good goalkicker. Higgins shanked 2 throughout the night and Minson didn't make the distance with another when he had Gilbee next to him trying to get the ball!
    Our back 6 was absolutely sensational so Lake, Morris, Callan and Gilbee in particular can hold their heads bloody high.
    Minson is not/will not be our answer to a Full forward. He is a bash and crash ruckman who can pinch hit in the forward line when required. WE NEED TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. Even give Skipper a go.
    Big hats off to young Jarrod Harbrow was brilliant breaking the lines from half back. Well done lad.

At the end of the day our forwards got stage fright. How you get stage fright is beyond me. This is what they would all of been dreaming since they were kids. This was their opportunity to prove they are not just season pretenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Lovely sentiments, and nicely put, but we tend to feel this way for a reason...it's typically a long time between drinks for the Scrays, and we're all bloody dying of thirst!

I can't wait another decade+ for another crack at a granny.

I implore our boys...remember this game, this finals campaign, this season...use it...take something instructive from it...something inspring from it...something of value...urge yourselves to want more...to progress rather than tread water or worse yet slide backward...and sup from that bloody cup!

Thanks for a stirring, if occasionally familiar year.
    Well last time we only had to wait 1 year for another prelim. Hopefully this time round is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Well last time we only had to wait 1 year for another prelim. Hopefully this time round is the same.
    IF we get another crack next year and there is every reason to think that we can we need to make a much better fist of it we need a tall down forward so very badly our backline as has been said were exellent mids good forwards simply overwhelmed
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    One thing this year has done is made Minson a better ruckman. If he's ineffective in the ruck or his partner is playing better we can throw him forward.

Tonight he was somewhat ineffective in the ruck and looked dangerous forward.
    Dangerous as a forward???? Why because he took one strong mark? At this stage of his career, I do not know what he is. He is definately not a forward as he does not have an instinct of a forward and it is not something that he can develop much further.
    How many leads do you see him give? The answer is not many, if any at all as he does not have the tank to constantly lead or the pace to get away from his opponent. Purely relies on his marking and does not take enough marks.
    As a ruckman, he relies on his stength as he is a little undersized. Other than short bursts, I have not seen him play 4 consistent quarters of footy yet in his career.
    Eagleton = O'Keefe IMHO, time for Eagle to retire.

On a positive note I think Jarrod Harbrow really took a huge step in his career last night. How many young players do you see take on the opponents and say "catch me if you can" on a big stage in front of 70,000 people at a crucial stage of the game? Tiller was good as well.
    Murphy it is no secret carried an injury into the game last night. He was even walking with a limp when the ball was on the other side of the ground.
    Cooney's busted knee cap certainly did not help either, very courageous for him to even be playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed what you wrote, Yankee. Couldn't have put it better. I feel ok, a bit disappointed we couldn't pull it off as we had chances, but happy with the team's effort.
    I hope Hawks win tonight because I don't like the Saints chances against Geelong, and I at least want an interesting GF!

I think this forum is awesome. It's been great to see everyone's comments and experience the highs and lows together. (I sound like I am signing off - I'm not!)

Post Thanks / Like

First of all stop comparing this team to other preliminary finals teams, they are a different set of players, coaches and even the club is looking different.

I don't believe that we won't have another preliminary final for another 10 years, I think we will be right back in it next year. Think back to Geelong. How many preliminary finals did you see them play over the last five years - yes they missed in '06 but had played off again in 05. Look at Sydney and WEst Coast - how many preliminary finals did they make.

As EAde said last year, you need to be around the mark for a couple of year and that is what we are doing. -Our structure needs some tweaking especially in the forward line, a couple of our older players maybe need to retire (Westyand Eagle), JOhno should not have to be the Captain next year, just let him play without that responsiblity. Watching the game today on TV - our midfield and back is premiership standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Dangerous as a forward????
    Yes. When he was there and it was kicked to him he looked somewhat dangerous

At this stage of his career, I do not know what he is. He is definately not a forward as he does not have an instinct of a forward and it is not something that he can develop much further.
    The point is he's not the best forward but can go there for a bit to pinch a goal or two when not rucking well

How many leads do you see him give?
    He leads but it's rarely kicked to him

As a ruckman, he relies on his stength as he is a little undersized.
    No shorter than Blake and just 3 cm shorter than Ottens. Maybe he's undersized against Sandilands but not against many other ruckmen.

Other than short bursts, I have not seen him play 4 consistent quarters of footy yet in his career.
    I'm happy with his performance this year in providing a presence in many more games. He won't rack up disposals or kick goals at will but a presence he can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

What use is a presence if he's not going to kick goals or rack up disposals?

phroosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by namdarb View Post
    As a permanent forward, very little, but as a resting ruckman used as a pinch hitter to unsettle an opposition defence on occasion it's useful. Will definitely doesn't have natural forward instincts, but it was probably worth a try at giving him a chance to develop them over the year, when Rocket didn't have any overly obvious solutions available. Will had a good year in general, his rucking improved, and he did kick 18 goals (I think), but his main role will now be in the ruck, and a large natural forward will need to be recruited, as I highly doubt Rocket will try another player on our list in the main role, preferring to develop the younger big lads along side a more experienced fella. I reckon Rod or Leon actually said they want Grant to play about 12 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by namdarb View Post
    By laying a thumping tackle he can impose himself into the minds of some midfielders (for example)

Just having that hulking figure is a bonus for the team. Or We could use a beanpole like Street.

Ruckmen who get the ball are worth their weight in gold. Minson is not one but 1-2 goals and giving his teammates confidence is useful at least

Or is there someone else we should use?