Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray wants to play, but not with Bulldogs

Moving on....

Ray wants to play, but not with Bulldogs
    The Age
    Martin Boulton | September 26, 2008

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Farren Ray has told the club he wants to be traded after an injury-interrupted season that yielded only 13 games.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said the club would facilitate a trade.

"After meeting with his management Farren has decided to look for another opportunity," Fantasia said.

"We see Farren as a required player, so it is disappointing in some respects, but he's had an indifferent year and we understand why he's going down that track.

"We'll do our best to facilitate a deal that's equitable for both parties."

It was revealed in The Age yesterday that Ray was likely to request a trade.

Ray, who was taken with pick four in the 2003 national draft, has played 75 games for the Bulldogs. He suffered a cracked fibula in this year's pre-season and struggled for consistency during the year.

After missing the last two rounds he returned for the Dogs' qualifying final against Hawthorn, but was left out of the next two finals against Sydney and Geelong.

Ray's manager, Rick Olarenshaw, said the 22-year-old could head home to Western Australia, but was more focused on joining a club where he could get more playing time.

"His first preference is to stay in Melbourne, but he just wants to go where he can play his best football, so if that's Brisbane or Adelaide or Sydney, so be it," he said.

"We've had (other clubs) make inquiries, but we weren't going to make a decision until the Bulldogs' season was out of the way.

"He was concerned about his opportunity (with the Bulldogs), and they were pretty blunt about that on Tuesday in his meeting with the coaches.

"He knew it was going to be hard to find opportunities with the midfield they've got, so we'll look elsewhere for a club that feels they need someone like Farren."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ray wants to play, but not with Bulldogs

What a confusing article, one minute club says they want to keep him , but next minute says they might not be able to give him a game because of our midfield already.
    I dont blame him for asking to be traded, I think all players would ask to be traded in that circumstance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What a confusing article, one minute club says they want to keep him , but next minute says they might not be able to give him a game because of our midfield already.
    I dont blame him for asking to be traded, I think all players would ask to be traded in that circumstance.

Nothing confusing Ledge, just a club trying to talk him up to get the best possible trade.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point.

sobriquet Guest

Not sure what to think of this one. I don't mind "sting" Ray, but we really have enough small running types to cover the loss. Hopefully we can get a player of value from the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
    Not sure what to think of this one. I don't mind "sting" Ray, but we really have enough small running types to cover the loss. Hopefully we can get a player of value from the trade.
    Firstly welcome to WOOF sobriquet.

Yes, like you I didn't mind Ray either but he wants to move on. Will be interesting to see what we get out of the Ray trade.

anthj Guest

At least I'll never have to see a headline involving the words 'Ray Gun' again. I would have liked to have him stay at the club but if he wants to leave then there's no point trying to keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it concerning that 2 players in the past 2 years have wanted to leave our club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Is it concerning that 2 players in the past 2 years have wanted to leave our club?
    3 players in 2 years isn't it? Power and McMahon last year and now Ray this season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    3 players in 2 years isn't it? Power and McMahon last year and now Ray this season.
    Not the best strike rate is it?

And they are all top 15 draft picks to make matters worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Any coincidence that the trio in question are all particularly soft, flaky, outside-types?

It's addition by substraction, surely.

The job'll almost be complete once Eagleton's shown the door.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a coincidence that they were all spent time playing seconds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Any coincidence that the trio in question are all particularly soft, flaky, outside-types?

It's addition by substraction, surely.

The job'll almost be complete once Eagleton's shown the door.
    You have to point the finger at the recruiters or the recruiting policy here, surely?

Firstly, too many of the same type
    Secondly, too many who haven't come on

In fairness, Ray and McMahon are both 'good' players, just not great, but both are outsider players.

If Ray had McMahon's kicking, that'd be a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If Ray had McMahon's kicking, that'd be a player.
    ...not to mention if he had Judd's explosiveness, Ablett's agility, Hodge's steel, and Black's vision and patience.

Goes without saying that the recruiters incur a fair chunk of responsibility for the degree of imbalance in our list, but they can't be held fully responsible for the level of hunger and application a player does or doesn't demonstrate.

I'd kindly seek clarification as regards the definition of a 'good' player though...while not without his foibles I'd call McMahon generally serviceable...but would be hard pressed according Farren the same compliment I'm afraid...He's borderline AFL material for mine.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At the end of the day though, are these blokes who are part of our premiership formula? I dare say they aren't.