Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ray wants to play, but not with Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    At the end of the day though, are these blokes who are part of our premiership formula? I dare say they aren't.
    I'm not sure I agree. I still ask why we can't get better results from talented players. Power had a solid season withthe Roos, McMahon was better with the Tigers in 2008 than he was with us in 2007 and we never got the best out of Ray.
    We either are poor with our drafting or development and if the players kick on elsewhere, it more or less questions how effective the development has been.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. I still ask why we can't get better results from talented players. Power had a solid season withthe Roos, McMahon was better with the Tigers in 2008 than he was with us in 2007 and we never got the best out of Ray.
    We either are poor with our drafting or development and if the players kick on elsewhere, it more or less questions how effective the development has been.
    How has McMahon or Power really 'kicked on' though? McMahon played some great football for us over 2005 and 2006. Not sure his 2008 at Richmond was any better than what he gave us, even though he's starting to hit the 'prime' of his career and was about Richmonds only defender whose a 'strong' kicker.

Power just was not going to get a game in our 22, and I'm really struggling to see who he would have replaced this year. The guys we brought in, Callan, Hill, Ward all played good roles and have good upside. All will be aiming to be in that 22 next year. In my view, 25 combined years from these guys is better than 10 combined years from Power and McMahon.

I won't argue that our development could have or should have been better, you're most likely right. Now that we have state of the art facilities perhaps we'll start to see a better strike rate of developing potential into senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason that Mc Mahon and Power played more games this year than with us is simply because we have players who are better than them and we can easily live without them. Neither North or Rchmond are in that happy position.

Likewise with Ray, he found it difficult to become a first choice player with us but may well fit into another team.

This is not a poor reflection on the Western Bulldogs. On the contrary, it highlights the quality of our list.

anthj Guest

If I recall correctly McMahon didn't want to leave and we ended up getting Callan Ward with pick #19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anthj View Post
    If I recall correctly McMahon didn't want to leave and we ended up getting Callan Ward with pick #19.
    He wanted to leave alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    He wanted to leave alright!
    And pot us on the way out.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    How has McMahon or Power really 'kicked on' though? McMahon played some great football for us over 2005 and 2006. Not sure his 2008 at Richmond was any better than what he gave us, even though he's starting to hit the 'prime' of his career and was about Richmonds only defender whose a 'strong' kicker.

Power just was not going to get a game in our 22, and I'm really struggling to see who he would have replaced this year. The guys we brought in, Callan, Hill, Ward all played good roles and have good upside. All will be aiming to be in that 22 next year. In my view, 25 combined years from these guys is better than 10 combined years from Power and McMahon.

I won't argue that our development could have or should have been better, you're most likely right. Now that we have state of the art facilities perhaps we'll start to see a better strike rate of developing potential into senior player.
    OK, the point I am trying to make is we go out and recruit a player like Tim Callan and yet we never really tried Power in that type of role. The Roos get Power off us and he has a better season that what we could muster from him. The assumption that we wouldn't play him is probably correct but as a team we haven't been innovative with reinventing players that aren't reaching their potential.
    Power may not have been able to play that role but we never really tried it either.

I don't want to see us draft guys and wait for them to develop only to trade them on and have solid seasons at other clubs. I think losing Ray and him doing better at another side is a real possibility.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    The reason that Mc Mahon and Power played more games this year than with us is simply because we have players who are better than them and we can easily live without them. Neither North or Rchmond are in that happy position.

Likewise with Ray, he found it difficult to become a first choice player with us but may well fit into another team.

This is not a poor reflection on the Western Bulldogs. On the contrary, it highlights the quality of our list.
    It highlights the quality of our midfielders ... not of our list
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It highlights the quality of our midfielders ... not of our list
    Nothing to do with mid-fielders. Neither Mc Mahon nor Power were then or are now mid-fielders

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the point I am trying to make is we go out and recruit a player like Tim Callan and yet we never really tried Power in that type of role. The Roos get Power off us and he has a better season that what we could muster from him. The assumption that we wouldn't play him is probably correct but as a team we haven't been innovative with reinventing players that aren't reaching their potential.
    Power may not have been able to play that role but we never really tried it either.

I don't want to see us draft guys and wait for them to develop only to trade them on and have solid seasons at other clubs. I think losing Ray and him doing better at another side is a real possibility.
    Precisely what role are you speaking of? Callan either plays half-back or as a run-with defender, both positions having been occupied by Power.

I also disagree with the comment that we are not innovative in re-inventing players. Tiller, has been goven opportunities all over the ground to find his spot, as has Wight. Murphy after years at half-back finds himself re-invented at CHF. Even Acker was tried down back together with Walsh.

Mc Mahon and Power are simply not the players who are going to take the club to a premiership. The trade for Mc Mahon was a win for us by a long way.

On the other hand I agree with you on Ray. I think he could still be a good player at AFL level. However if he wants to walk there is not much we can do about it. It is interesting that he has stalled at every contract renewal since his arrival suggesting that he may have been a reluctant long term player from day one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Precisely what role are you speaking of? Callan either plays half-back or as a run-with defender, both positions having been occupied by Power.

I also disagree with the comment that we are not innovative in re-inventing players. Tiller, has been goven opportunities all over the ground to find his spot, as has Wight. Murphy after years at half-back finds himself re-invented at CHF. Even Acker was tried down back together with Walsh.

Mc Mahon and Power are simply not the players who are going to take the club to a premiership. The trade for Mc Mahon was a win for us by a long way.

On the other hand I agree with you on Ray. I think he could still be a good player at AFL level. However if he wants to walk there is not much we can do about it. It is interesting that he has stalled at every contract renewal since his arrival suggesting that he may have been a reluctant long term player from day one.
    On a slightly different view, isn't it funny all of us from the sidelines have been talking about how tight Coons, Griff and Ray are, as they obviously seem to be. But when it's come to the crunch Ray has opted out. I just get confused (for lack of a better word) when you see Hawthorn fringe players calling on their mates to stick together to make history, we're not that far behind and Farren who played 15 games or so is walking. We wanted him, Eade obviously has him in his premiership plans and yet he is walking away, not a great sign.

When you look back Power (a little earlier) Farren, Tim Walsh, Jade Rawlings (pick 6), Street (20), Koops (17 used on Mundy), Wells (3rd rounder) plus Morgan et al.

I know drafting and trading is not a presice science, but you have to just wonder what could have been this year if three top 10 picks worked out, keeping another top 10 pick, and two high second round picks. You could make a really strong case to say we could or should have been where Hawthorn were at 5.30pm last Saturday.

I just hope those god awful two years don't shut the window this time meaning we've got to wait another 10 years for another proper shot.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023