Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farren Ray is a Dog (Prick)

Quote Originally Posted by stevw9 View Post
    Ray has just confirmed what every club knew already, when a player is out of contract and asks to be traded, 99 times out of a hundred they will go through to the PSD anyway rather than re-sign, unless they are a superstar which our young Farren is not.
    Agreed but the his manager delivering an ultimatum to the media is not right. I think Ray want's to do the right thing for the club but he doesn't want to have to settle for a bad deal either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The thing that works in Rays favour is that Melbourne have already conceded they wouldn't take him through the PSD, leaving a clear pathway to either West Coast or Fremantle - two sides he would be happy to go to.

Thus, we really are in a lose-lose situation UNLESS we can find a club interested enough to compensate us fairly. At this stage, that looks unlikely.
    But he has said that he wants to stay in Melbourne, so really he would rather us find a suitable trade.

The reason (IMO) that his manager is talking a lot is to make sure that clubs remember he is available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    But he has said that he wants to stay in Melbourne, so really he would rather us find a suitable trade.

The reason (IMO) that his manager is talking a lot is to make sure that clubs remember he is available.
    And perhaps to get our club to get on the front foot in seeking a trade.
    Either Eade or Fantasia said earlier in the week in the Age that if a deal could not be found they would keep Ray. This on top of the fact that Eade had said in the media that the club still see Ray as a required player, might make Ray's manager think that the Dogs might not be doing all they could do to try and get a trade up, so that he re-signs with us.

If I was Ray's manager I would be wanting to put the heat on the club that his client's preference was to get a deal done too, if time was runing out and nothing appeared to be happening.

I don't see any problem with Olarenshaw's tactics here, if he thinks the Dogs are not doing all that is possible to get a deal done.

Bit harsh calling Ray a prick, when all his manager is doing is trying to get the best outcome for his client.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I agree with this also.

It's more the fault of 'Ricky O' than Farren that we find ourselves in this situation.

I think the thread title should be changed, I think it's pretty unjust.

Agreed ... I don't think we need threads named this way
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bit harsh calling Ray a prick, when all his manager is doing is trying to get the best outcome for his client.
    But given Ray's stated aims it's a self-defeating approach, surely?

Public comments like those made not only diminish any potential return we might get, but also diminish the possibility of a trade to one of his mythical 'preferred clubs' being negotiated at all...Theoretically, why would anyone cough up something of value if he's conceivably available to them for nothing via the PSD?, where he gets no say in terms of where he ends up.

As if anyone with two eyes and two ears needs reminding Ray's available for trade...and Fantasia/Eade saying he's an otherwise required player should any potential trade partner insist on lowballing us for his services is entirely predictable and reasonable...and hardly grounds for that boofhead Olarenshaw to ark up on behalf of his client.

If they'd really "like to see the Bulldogs get something in return", they'd assist greatly by shutting the hell up.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

It's fairly clear, after watching Olarenshaw's performances as a boundary rider, that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    How he could be in charge of peoples careers is staggering. To think that 17 year old kids hand over their futures to to peanuts like that is just very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    But given Ray's stated aims it's a self-defeating approach, surely?

Public comments like those made not only diminish any potential return we might get, but also diminish the possibility of a trade to one of his mythical 'preferred clubs' being negotiated at all...Theoretically, why would anyone cough up something of value if he's conceivably available to them for nothing via the PSD?, where he gets no say in terms of where he ends up.

As if anyone with two eyes and two ears needs reminding Ray's available for trade...and Fantasia/Eade saying he's an otherwise required player should any potential trade partner insist on lowballing us for his services is entirely predictable and reasonable...and hardly grounds for that boofhead Olarenshaw to ark up on behalf of his client.

If they'd really "like to see the Bulldogs get something in return", they'd assist greatly by shutting the hell up.
    But if they (Olarenshaw/Ray) feel the Dogs are perhaps knocking back or not considering requests on the basis of The Dogs wanting to ensure Ray stays, AND Ray is not too bothered by the fact he would probably be picked up by either Melbourne, West Coast or Freo... in the PSD, then no real loss for Olarenshaw giving the Dogs a hurry up in trying to secure a deal with his 1st choice club.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farren Ray is a Dog

Am I mistaken or did the AFL change the rules this year so an uncontracted player can now also nominate via the National Draft?

See 11 Nov: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3661

Post Thanks / Like

Cut our loses and take WCE pick 36 for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Am I mistaken or did the AFL change the rules this year so an uncontracted player can now also nominate via the National Draft?

See 11 Nov: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3661
    True. And they can put a price on their head in the national draft, not just the PSD.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    True. And they can put a price on their head in the national draft, not just the PSD.
    Why even have a PSD?

Post Thanks / Like

I only know Mr Olarenshaw from his commentary/boundary riding duties.

I think you are all being harsh - he's clearly a sandwich short of a picnic.

How did he become a player manager?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what Ray has done wrong. Having been told he will struggle desperately to get a game, he is after a new employer. Why would we expect him to be doing us any big favours at this point?

Olarenshaw on the other hand i think is misguided in his comments. Not sure how he thinks it will help his client for him to say this in the media. I would suspect that it is more likely to push Eade and Fantasia into a hardened position, as they will not want other clubs and agents getting the impression they can be bullied into doing poor deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I only know Mr Olarenshaw from his commentary/boundary riding duties.

I think you are all being harsh - he's clearly a sandwich short of a picnic.

How did he become a player manager?
    I think it is more about being connected than being bright. There are a couple of other player managers that seem to be similarly challenged to me.

Post Thanks / Like

If Farren cuts and runs without showing any respect for the club that over the last few years has given him a home, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and our number one jumper, I'll be very disappointed in him.

All our players should be instructed not to talk to Mr Olarenshaw on camera next year. Respect is earned, not given, and he deserves none.

NB.
    Last edited by NoseBleed; 09-10-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Speelink

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pembleton View Post
    Not sure what Ray has done wrong. Having been told he will struggle desperately to get a game, he is after a new employer. Why would we expect him to be doing us any big favours at this point?

Olarenshaw on the other hand i think is misguided in his comments. Not sure how he thinks it will help his client for him to say this in the media. I would suspect that it is more likely to push Eade and Fantasia into a hardened position, as they will not want other clubs and agents getting the impression they can be bullied into doing poor deals.

I think it is more about being connected than being bright. There are a couple of other player managers that seem to be similarly challenged to me.
    Farren hasn't done anything wrong IMO. However, he'd have to be wondering what opportunities he'll be getting elsewhere if he's not even worth a 2nd rounder to others.

He was in our best 22 up until the last couple of weeks this year. He's physically developed and fits into a 'role' without our squad.

You could argue that his best bet is still to remain at the dogs.