Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Qauia swim changes Ratu’s life

Great article...

Qauia swim changes Ratu’s life
    Fijilive Sports
    October 25, 2008

Suva Grammar School sixth former, Inoke Ratu did not know swimming across the Qauia River to get to the Western Bulldogs AFL trials was going to get him the two year scholarship to Australia.

Ratu is one of only two Fijian boys that were offered a two year scholarship with the Western Bulldogs under the AFL’s international scholarship scheme.

“My uncle from Australia had called us earlier even before Fiji found about the trials and told me to attend,” the 19 year-old Lasikau native from Bau Tailevu said.

“I wasn’t really interested. I said yes I’d try out but inside it was no.”

“When the day of the actual trial came, I was at home in Qauia and it was raining really heavily. My mum was at a funeral and she kept calling me telling me to go, the Qauia Bridge flooded was my excuse not to go.”

“But then one of my uncles forced me into the river and told me to swim across.”

The Suva Grammar Under-19 rep admitted he knew nothing of Aussie Rules but since he had swum the Qauia river to get this far, he wasn’t going to waste his chances.

“I just tried out; I was there anyway so I thought I might as well.”

“The game was strange, new really. All I ever knew of it was what I saw on television.”

“The passing was different and there’s not much physical contact like it was in rugby.”

“It was really different,” he added.

After the trials, Bulldogs officials called Ratu aside and asked him to do sprints for them so they could time him.

“Then they told me I had gotten the scholarship.”

“At first I wasn’t excited; I didn’t have butterflies in my stomach or had any goose bumps from when they told me, to be honest I felt nothing.”

“It was until they told me that AFL was the biggest sport in Australia and I was like, wow what have I gotten myself into?”

His family is excited about this opportunity – the second eldest of 10 siblings (one of only two boys) has already gotten advice from his younger brother.

“Well he thinks it’s a girl’s game,” Ratu said.

“But he’s told me to do my best and not make him look bad.”

Ratu also represented Suva Grammar in rugby league and his side lost to Nasinu Secondary School in the U19 final of the Vodafone Secondary School league competition.

He once had a dream to represent Fiji to the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand but that has now changed.

“God has other plans for me now. For now I go on this journey and see where that takes me. Only God decides what is best for me, I merely just avail myself and do my best.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Qauia swim changes Ratu’s life

Just found my new favourite player.

Brilliant story.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    Just found my new favourite player.

Brilliant story.
    Relax, he's not a player yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Relax, he's not a player yet.
    He's a rookie for an AFL club.

Every bit a player like Mulligan, Shaw or like Boyd and Morris were

Inoke, Inoke, Inoke, Inoke.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He's a rookie for an AFL club.

Every bit a player like Mulligan, Shaw or like Boyd and Morris were

LOL. Ok.

On a side note he's not on the rookie list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    LOL. Ok.

On a side note he's not on the rookie list.
    Nah-ah. You can have Ayce. I'll have Inoke. Win/Win.

Anyone that gets thrown in a river and swims to try out for us, and then blitzes the field after that... is worth my admiration.

I know a messiah when i see one. Trust me, i should know. I've followed Trent Bartlett and Jesse Wells.

* In all seriousness, i like the kid and the story.

Post Thanks / Like

He may not be a player... but he's definitely a playa!!!

word.

Hope these lads come good.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah-ah. You can have Ayce. I'll have Inoke. Win/Win.

Anyone that gets thrown in a river and swims to try out for us, and then blitzes the field after that... is worth my admiration.

I know a messiah when i see one. Trust me, i should know. I've followed Trent Bartlett and Jesse Wells.

* In all seriousness, i like the kid and the story.
    If only he walked across the water, then we'd be more confident of the messiah returning.

vho Guest

Hehe, Good one MM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a great story. Hopefully he can realise he can set himself up for life, puts in the hard work and becomes a player for us.

I don't mind his cocky attitude, he's still a kid and probably has no idea the seriousness of AFL and the amount of media his interview would generate.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this story too especially the comment made by the younger bother(being a girls game)
    Would be fantastic if it all works out and he gets a chance over here.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great story,it would be great if he manages to make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    ............. has already gotten advice from his younger brother.

Well he thinks it’s a girl’s game,” Ratu said.”
    His brother knows KB well and the rules committee and what they have done to the game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His brother knows KB well and the rules committee and what they have done to the game
    Possibly quote of the year