Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My tenth anniversary supporting the Dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    My favourite poet the Russian, Yevtushenko wrote in "Telling Lies to the Young is Wrong"

Who never knew the price of happiness will not be happy.

I'm sure had he been a Victorian he would have followed the Dogs or at least empathised with the struggle.

I saw him do a recital of his own work at Caulfield town hall in a desperate attempt to impress a girl.

A/ I was very impressed with his stories of standing in front of tanks
    B/ Impressing the girl worked amazingly well.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

How did said night end Twodogs? Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Late post on this thread but just want to chuck my hat in the ring as to why I support the Doggies. From Perth. Proud West Aussie. Always loved the footy (East Fremantle). Never had a VFL team. Loved watching it. Lived in Europe mid 80's. Returned to Australia, to Melbourne. Found a house and job in Footscray. Terrific to be living in a suburb with a VFL team. 1989. Amazed at the depth of affection and loyalty for the Dogs. My kind of supporter, my kind of team. Returned to Perth 1990. Took the red, white and blue with me. Love those Doggies, even more from a distance. I try to get to Subiaco for as many Dogs matches as possible. Be assured that I bark as loud as possible for all the dishlickers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trevnosh View Post
    Late post on this thread but just want to chuck my hat in the ring as to why I support the Doggies. From Perth. Proud West Aussie. Always loved the footy (East Fremantle). Never had a VFL team. Loved watching it. Lived in Europe mid 80's. Returned to Australia, to Melbourne. Found a house and job in Footscray. Terrific to be living in a suburb with a VFL team. 1989. Amazed at the depth of affection and loyalty for the Dogs. My kind of supporter, my kind of team. Returned to Perth 1990. Took the red, white and blue with me. Love those Doggies, even more from a distance. I try to get to Subiaco for as many Dogs matches as possible. Be assured that I bark as loud as possible for all the dishlickers.
    trevnosh, great to have a read of this.
    Not sure if you are going to Saturday nights game against the Eagles but if so it would be a great help for our regulars to get an eye witness account of the game.
    It should be a ripper.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks southerncross. I'll be at the game- Long Distance membership has to count for something! I'll try to keep an eye on the game while I explain to the Eagles-supporting missus (choke) why McDougall can score heaps for us but not for them. cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks southerncross. I'll be at the game- Long Distance membership has to count for something! I'll try to keep an eye on the game while I explain to the Eagles-supporting missus (choke) why McDougall can score heaps for us but not for them. cheers
    I really look forward to reading this. Getting info out of the papers only goes so far. Far better to hear 1st hand info from someone who was there. Welcome aboard by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Good one and welcome aboard.

I've visited Perth a bit because my mum lives over there. Found Dogs fans aren't too popular there. Ditto where i live (Sydney).
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Not capable of long sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Not capable of long sentences.
    Wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Found Dogs fans aren't too popular there. Ditto where i live (Sydney).
    That has a lot to do with the Sumich/Southern rumble but there were a few other heated confrontations over the years between the two sides.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    That has a lot to do with the Sumich/Southern rumble but there were a few other heated confrontations over the years between the two sides.

In earlier days Supa McPherson and Lewis had a private war going. Had Marxist overtones as Supa reported taking objection to all the lower class aspertions that Chris was want to enunciate regarding our team and club.

Supa as you would all know was a sensitive person who took offence easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello one and all - first (long ) post from me a 'newbie'.

I can't for the life of me remember what the actual turning point was for me to follow the bulldogs. I am an ex pat Kiwi who came to Melbourne in 1980 as a teenager to visit my big sister and ended up staying for good. I was never into rugby much in NZ - except as a point of pride when we played other countries (as well as having Fergie McCormack as a relative for those of you who know anything about All Black royalty). Big sis and co were all mad collingwood supporters.
    Collingwood played off against Richmond in the gf that year, and I was told that it was in the bag for Collingwood. Well as history showed, Richmond stormed home easily against Collingwood and that was a turn off for me. I think it was probably about another year later that something about the Bulldogs attracted me and I started saying I supported them, which was quite strange considering I lived in Prahran at the time. Move on a couple more years, and I ended up living in the west in Newport and Yarraville and my interest in the bulldogs started to increase, especially as I met other supporters. At that stage I had watched games on tv but hadn't actually been to a live game. 1996 - a chance drive past Whitten Oval - showed that a game was about to start - so we took the kids out of the car and into the game we went. Will, it was actually poor old Fitzroy that was playing that day against Sydney - one of their last games.
    Over the next few years, I started to really switch on to the doggies, knew who the players were and started to understand the game - and I took a lot of pride in sticking up for them against other supporters. The mixture of a young family, me returning to uni and my partner supporting two families meant we simply could not afford a family membership in those days ( mind you if they had direct debit back then we probably could have). Anyway, out of the three boys two are doggie supporters (one as fanatical as me) and sadly one is an Essendon supporter - although he still comes to many of our games. We finally became members in 2003 - the year we won the wooden spoon (I felt personally responsible for that) and each year we upgrade our membership a little more. I will be a member of the bulldogs now until the day I die. I think that every disappointment that we suffer will just make the victory we will enjoy very soon, that much sweeter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi dogs_r_barking,

Welcome aboard here. I think we became members at about the same time.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Hi dogs_r_barking,

Welcome aboard here. I think we became members at about the same time.
    Aha - so it was you as well as me that put the moz on the doggies that year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    Hello one and all - first (long ) post from me a 'newbie'.

I can't for the life of me remember what the actual turning point was for me to follow the bulldogs. I am an ex pat Kiwi who came to Melbourne in 1980 as a teenager to visit my big sister and ended up staying for good. I was never into rugby much in NZ - except as a point of pride when we played other countries (as well as having Fergie McCormack as a relative for those of you who know anything about All Black royalty). Big sis and co were all mad collingwood supporters.
    Collingwood played off against Richmond in the gf that year, and I was told that it was in the bag for Collingwood. Well as history showed, Richmond stormed home easily against Collingwood and that was a turn off for me. I think it was probably about another year later that something about the Bulldogs attracted me and I started saying I supported them, which was quite strange considering I lived in Prahran at the time. Move on a couple more years, and I ended up living in the west in Newport and Yarraville and my interest in the bulldogs started to increase, especially as I met other supporters. At that stage I had watched games on tv but hadn't actually been to a live game. 1996 - a chance drive past Whitten Oval - showed that a game was about to start - so we took the kids out of the car and into the game we went. Will, it was actually poor old Fitzroy that was playing that day against Sydney - one of their last games.
    Over the next few years, I started to really switch on to the doggies, knew who the players were and started to understand the game - and I took a lot of pride in sticking up for them against other supporters. The mixture of a young family, me returning to uni and my partner supporting two families meant we simply could not afford a family membership in those days ( mind you if they had direct debit back then we probably could have). Anyway, out of the three boys two are doggie supporters (one as fanatical as me) and sadly one is an Essendon supporter - although he still comes to many of our games. We finally became members in 2003 - the year we won the wooden spoon (I felt personally responsible for that) and each year we upgrade our membership a little more. I will be a member of the bulldogs now until the day I die. I think that every disappointment that we suffer will just make the victory we will enjoy very soon, that much sweeter.
    Welcome dogs_r_barking, that is a great post and a terrific read. You have all the qualities evident in a true Bulldog tragic. You support underdogs, you like community and people, you have a self deprecating manner and you write with passion. I could go on but that's enough for starters don't want to scare you off. Looking forward to your future posts.