Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New bite for Dogs' flag tilt

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11088,00.html

Jon Ralph
    November 11, 2008 12:00am
    THE Western Bulldogs yesterday kick-started their pre-season with heightened expectation, a new fitness coach, and a bolstered development structure.

The young Bulldogs completed a 3.2km time-trial around Princes Park, joining North Melbourne and the Blues in using the Carlton venue for pre-season training.

Star midfielder Ryan Griffen just beat home Shaun Higgins, although their time was significantly slower than Carlton captain Chris Judd several hours before.

The older players will return next week to work on their fitness base before the club's high altitude camp in Arizona from November 28 to December 8.

Former Australian triathlon coach Bill Davoren, fresh from guiding Emma Snowsill to Olympic gold in Beijing, took his first public session with the club.

The Bulldogs have already had two testing sessions, with some players shaving 30-40sec off best times around the Princes Park circuit.

Several players have had post-season surgery, but the injury list is small.

Robert Murphy is several weeks behind after knee surgery, while Tom Williams will have his pre-season delayed after shoulder surgery.

Brian Lake had minor hip surgery, but is not far behind the main group, while Daniel Giansiracusa is in a brace after dislocating his elbow.

Yesterday the club announced the appointment of former North Ballarat Rebels coach Chris Maple as its development coach.

He will join Williamstown coach and development manager Brad Gotch in helping the first-to-third year players, as AFL clubs continue to focus on fast-tracking their young players.

Maple will replace Simon Dalrymple, who has moved into the Dogs' football operations department.

While the Dogs have had a late start because of their preliminary final appearance, a host of players have been into the club early to start their pre-season campaigns.

Once unable to afford the support structure that rivals such as Collingwood have, Maple's appointment and the camp in Arizona show the Dogs are now able to compete with the heavy hitters.

Maple has coached the Rebels for the past two years, as well as working as a physical education teacher at Ballarat High School.

"We are delighted to have him on board and look forward to having him continue the work we started this year with the expansion of our development program," Dogs football manager James Fantasia said.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New bite for Dogs' flag tilt

Quote Originally Posted by Bodicifer View Post
    We'll be one of the fittest cardio vasc. teams going around. Play on at all costs and run sides off their feet. I expect big last quarters this year.
    Well, the fact that Judd an Co. recorded vastly faster times than our lads isn't a good starting point, although I'm happy that Griff and Higgins were first across the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Well, the fact that Judd an Co. recorded vastly faster times than our lads isn't a good starting point, although I'm happy that Griff and Higgins were first across the line.
    Cross either didn't run or tripped over his shoelaces.

Higgins beat Cross home? I don't think so, Tim!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Cross either didn't run or tripped over his shoelaces.

Higgins beat Cross home? I don't think so, Tim!
    Only young dogs ran. Judd smashed all the Carlton players while injured last year so don't worry about that.

Really hoping Williams isn't out too long. Don't want him to miss another pre-season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Only young dogs ran. Judd smashed all the Carlton players while injured last year so don't worry about that.

Really hoping Williams isn't out too long. Don't want him to miss another pre-season.
    So why have I seen photo's and footage of Hudson running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can think of two reasons.

1) Lazy journos used file footage from last year because they couldn't be buggered actually going out there.

2) Hudson's been on the drink again and Rocket's made him do some extra work.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Lazy journos used file footage from last year because they couldn't be buggered actually going out there.

Well he was definitely there so we can all make up our own mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going by the article and what someone said in another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Word I heard was that Hudson wanted to start back a week early. He felt his fitness dropped away too dramatically last year which affected his form and he wants to give himself a better base for the upcoming season.

Post Thanks / Like

Word I heard was that Hudson wanted to start back a week early. He felt his fitness dropped away too dramatically last year which affected his form and he wants to give himself a better base for the upcoming season.
    Sounds about right but he is someone who struggles with his fitness a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Sounds about right but he is someone who struggles with his fitness a lot.
    Main thing I heard was that he was surprised how much he needed to improve his fitness to fit into the role Eade had in mind for him. He felt his fitness was better than when he was with the Crows, but still not at the level required to play an enhanced on-field role with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Main thing I heard was that he was surprised how much he needed to improve his fitness to fit into the role Eade had in mind for him. He felt his fitness was better than when he was with the Crows, but still not at the level required to play an enhanced on-field role with us.
    His role was very much restricted with the Crows - Eade's gameplan is far less restrictive than that required to be a Crowbot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    His role was very much restricted with the Crows - Eade's gameplan is far less restrictive than that required to be a Crowbot.
    Yeah, wasn't he essentially a stoppage player, so no need to run to position or play defensively once the ball was out of his immediate area or not in a stoppage scenario.

Good to see he's keen to continue to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Yeah, wasn't he essentially a stoppage player, so no need to run to position or play defensively once the ball was out of his immediate area or not in a stoppage scenario.

Good to see he's keen to continue to improve.
    We need him to, and in particular with the new ruck rules he'll need to really build up his fitness to play out even 60% game time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Carlton have been training for 4 weeks already tho.
    Judd holds that afl record around the princess park track.

Strength is what we need a bit more of... Now is the best time to put on some serious size.