Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to pass on two rookies

Hot off the press...

Bulldogs to pass on two rookies
    The Herald Sun
    Mark Stevens | November 19, 2008

THE Western Bulldogs may play only a cameo role in the rookie draft because of financial restraints. Although the Dogs are poised to announce a profit of more than $600,000 this year, their football budget remains tight.

The Dogs are allowed to take up to seven rookies into next season under new AFL rules, but are set to go in two short.

Three of the Dogs' 2008 rookies will be retained and New South Wales scholarship-holder Chris Ogle will be counted as a rookie next year.

It means the Dogs are likely to take only one player in the rookie draft, to be held after the pre-season draft on December 16.

The rookie draft has become a golden recruiting ground and the Dogs have benefited as much as any club in the past, picking up Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd there.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia, who recruited Nathan Bock and Ben Rutten as rookies in his time at Adelaide, said the club had to decide between spending on another player welfare staff member or extra rookies.

Each rookie costs $35,000-$40,000 a season.

"It is a decision based on financials . . . we might go in two short," Fantasia said.

The Dogs can't afford to expand their list and keep up with the richer clubs, who will take advantage of the AFL's offer of two extra rookies.

"It is a good move for the AFL to allow two extra rookies per club, but they are not paying for those extra rookies," Fantasia said.

"It makes it difficult for the less financial clubs. So it's the same old story: the rich benefit and the ones who don't have the money don't.

"We're not crying poor, but the rules support the ones with money. In some ways, it can defeat the very reason for having a salary cap."

The Bulldogs, who at one stage could not afford any rookies, can maintain five, but not push to seven.

"We're being very diligent and we've climbed back to the extent we've got five rookies, but we can't just find another $80,000," Fantasia said.

The Dogs will retain James Mulligan, Henry White and John Shaw as rookies next year.

Cash-strapped Melbourne has the funds to chase a full allotment of rookies.

The Demons raised more than $20,000 at their best-and-fairest night to ensure they would snare a full complement.

Clubs are now allowed a total of eight veterans or rookies. The Dees will have six rookies and two veterans.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to pass on two rookies

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    The Bulldogs, who at one stage could not afford any rookies, can maintain five, but not push to seven.
    Does this mean we will be picking up at least one rookie in the rookie draft? That's how I read it anyway. Won't be too disappointed if we go in with 5 rookies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Does this mean we will be picking up at least one rookie in the rookie draft? That's how I read it anyway. Won't be too disappointed if we go in with 5 rookies.
    That's how I read it too. Will be intersting to see who we go for - big or small. If Mulligan is an athletic freak who is being groomed for key position and Cordy is more of a forward, would we be looking at another ruckman perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree ... It is very disappointing that we can't keep up with the more affluent teams.

Again our team is behind the eight ball.

It saddens me when a team in financial crisis such as Melbourne can go in with a full quota, yet we fall short by two players ($80,000) after posting a profit (small it may be, but a profit none the less).

Maybe it is because I am naive, but I don't understand why we would chase another player welfare person over the opportunity of the two extra rookies the year before the GC17 draft ... doesn't make sense to me !!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

If 400 of us passionate supporters put in $100.00 each we can get at least 1 rookie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I disagree ... It is very disappointing that we can't keep up with the more affluent teams.

Again our team is behind the eight ball.

It saddens me when a team in financial crisis such as Melbourne can go in with a full quota, yet we fall short by two players ($80,000) after posting a profit (small it may be, but a profit none the less).

Maybe it is because I am naive, but I don't understand why we would chase another player welfare person over the opportunity of the two extra rookies the year before the GC17 draft ... doesn't make sense to me !!

You've got to remember we've turned over a very large percentage of our list over the last few drafts, we have a very young list needing development and perhaps the club has made the decision based on that.

Rookie's are usually very speculative anyway, so I don't think we're really going to miss out on too much.

I guess the one negative is w/ the new rookie rules allowing a rookie to be upgraded regardless of long term injuries this coming season. It would be nice to have a couple of 'ready made' players who we could upgrade, but I don't see it having too much of an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the club is mindful of protecting player welfare and ensuring that they are happy and healthy at the club?

Is two young players not good enough to be drafted worth more to you than the welfare of the 40+ already on our list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If 400 of us passionate supporters put in $100.00 each we can get at least 1 rookie.
    I hear Tom Davidson's available.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I'm sure you could get more to put in less, i would have no dramas in putting in some $$$, not too sure if i could afford the $100, but a 20, no dramas!

Perhaps the club should hold some kind of event for members to put in some cash for rookies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Perhaps the club is mindful of protecting player welfare and ensuring that they are happy and healthy at the club?

Is two young players not good enough to be drafted worth more to you than the welfare of the 40+ already on our list?
    If we didn't have anyone looking after player welfare I would agree with you but we do ... and to answer your question, in this case, yes two rookies the year before the GC17 Draft who may or may not make the move to AFL are more important than another welfare officer
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to remember we've turned over a very large percentage of our list over the last few drafts, we have a very young list needing development and perhaps the club has made the decision based on that.

Rookie's are usually very speculative anyway, so I don't think we're really going to miss out on too much.

I guess the one negative is w/ the new rookie rules allowing a rookie to be upgraded regardless of long term injuries this coming season. It would be nice to have a couple of 'ready made' players who we could upgrade, but I don't see it having too much of an impact.
    I think you're right ... the likelyhood of us getting a star through the rookie list is slim ... but if we prefer to pay $80,000 to a welfare officer rather than two extra rookies, then the chances are even slimmer.

Your point about the rookie upgrade is a valid one ... the more affluent teams will have more possibilities than teams like us that can't afford the full compliment
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

If we didn't have anyone looking after player welfare I would agree with you but we do ... and to answer your question, in this case, yes two rookies the year before the GC17 Draft who may or may not make the move to AFL are more important than another welfare officer
    I tend to think a welfare or development coach is money much better spent. As you put it the affluent clubs have more rookies but they probably also have more resources in the development area.

Post Thanks / Like

So in your opinion quantity is better than quality on an AFL list?

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to put in $100 - anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    So in your opinion quantity is better than quality on an AFL list?
    No that's not what I am saying....but from quantity you can pick quality.
    WOOF Member 422