Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  92
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I do hope Roughie's words resonate with the club and provoke some self-reflection and honest debate about whether there are things we could be doing better in regard to our management of the players.
    Something isn't necessarily awry just because one bloke had a negative eperience; but Roughie is a quality bloke, and some of his attributed comments strike me as troubling. They're not the usual defensive outbursts indicative of a personal falling out, but rather an insight into an environment that was stale and devoid of stimulus.
    I'll be very disappointed if the club doesn't think about what Roughie has said. This isnt the ramblings of someone looking to take a cheap shot by tweeting about being ' so motovated'.
    Is it the ramblings of someone trying to justify why they left - two sides to every story.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day we didn't feel Roughy had a spot and he chose to look elsewhere so I suppose we have to accept that
    As others have pointed out though he is a reasonable man and a respected club man in his time with us so much so that we had him in the leadership group at various times and even as a part time coach for our wonderful AFLW side. We obviously rated him in his leadership attributes.
    I think given his credentials and the manner he has conducted himself during what was probably a very challenging time for him we should try and seek him out to see what we might do better.

Done in the right way we can turn this into a learning experience.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is it the ramblings of someone trying to justify why they left - two sides to every story.
    There's nothing remotely rambling about it though. It's a measured and considered response to a question and can be backed by a considerable amount of evidence both on and off-field inherent in our performance and ability to retain players since 2016.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Sedat, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the question is what OUR side of the story actually would be. He is not a malcontent of questionable character. And based on the 2019 form of our club, our defensive and ruck stocks, and Roughie’s present form, I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be a best 22 player for us. So I don’t think it is reflex criticism of the club or Bevo, just to question why his career couldn’t have been reinvigorated with us.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just need a new environment.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I admire your stubborn ability to be a company man to the last, BAD.

All some of us are saying is that we can take the words of Dahl, Stringer, etc.. with a grain of salt, but when a team leader and highly respected player such as Roughy makes some measured assertions, they should not be swept under the carpet. If we don't listen, we don't learn.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Sometimes you just need a new environment.
    Yes...But the issue is why so many players have expressed the need for 'a new environment' over the last 24 months.

Is it going to take someone like Bont (ala Griff in 2014) to express the need for a new environment till we actually review what's happening?

9. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Yes...But the issue is why so many players have expressed the need for 'a new environment' over the last 24 months.

Is it going to take someone like Bont (ala Griff in 2014) to express the need for a new environment till we actually review what's happening?
    Yes.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

It’s alarming how many continue to cover their eyes with an unwavering belief in the club, particularly on the weight of evidence to suggest we are a shambles and have been for close to 3 years now.

Like you said, it’s going to take a Bont/Macrae to leave for some to wake up.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan had a really good game again today, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I didn't think he would make a good defender. In the words of Mark Williams - you were wrong ! (you being me).

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

All some of us are saying is that we can take the words of Dahl, Stringer, etc.. with a grain of salt, but when a team leader and highly respected player such as Roughy makes some measured assertions, they should not be swept under the carpet. If we don't listen, we don't learn.
    Nothing to do with being a company man and I wish you and others wouldn't say that.

I just like to hear two sides to every story. Anything wrong with that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I read the article and looked to find something critical of our coaching team. It says he got stale, working at the same place for 10 years. ( understandable ) Either not playing or playing somewhere else ( could mean not getting picked, which he wasn't ). A doctor doesn't jump to conclusions. If we really want to the club to surgically fix this situation, have to appreciate that what we think on the outside is not necessarily going to be the truth. But yeah it is DEFINITELY time to rack one in the book of grudges for letting Jordan go early. Defo not happy with 3 years at this ladder position and our lack of leadership on field is under the pump. Losing Roughy did not help at all. At a time when we are trying to make Ballarat our fortress we kicked out our number 1 Ballarat warrior!! Stupid, marketing gold, wasted. And @BAD, respect you also for going into bat for the club ( "company man" I would change to "loyalist of fans").
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to do with being a company man and I wish you and others wouldn't say that.

I just like to hear two sides to every story. Anything wrong with that.
    I probably fall into that category too BAD. I think it stems from over the many years of supporting the doggies and constantly sticking up for them when I was younger. Against the Bumber supporters and Woods supporters for example where there seemed to be a lot of them at school where I went to in Yarraville. It stays with you forever. I do understand how others feel though as it is a very frustrating time at the moment and I am as puzzled at our decline as you all.
    Last edited by Bulldog4life; 11-06-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I probably fall into that category too BAD. I think it steems from over the many years of supporting the doggies and constantly sticking up for them when I was younger. Against the Bumber supporters and Woods supporters for example where there seemed to be a lot of them at school where I went to in Yarraville. It stays with you forever. I do understand how others feel though as it is a very frustrating time at the moment and I am as puzzled at our decline as you all.
    I go by the moto, don't believe anything you read and half of what you hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Jordan had a really good game again today, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I didn't think he would make a good defender. In the words of Mark Williams - you were wrong ! (you being me).
    Hang on. Doesn't that make you Mark Williams? Or does it mean you are Alan Scott?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite