Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  92
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

I read that last night. Sad reading indeed however I'm so happy he is doing well. The coaches comment is alarming also, needing a new perspective from new faces? Isn't that what most supporters have been saying as well and we continue to have the same people season after season. Maybe they might wear a different hat but it's still the same person. We're an absolute mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    With the exception of Boyd, they all have shown at times that footy isn't/wasn't their number one priority.
    I don't think you can apply that to Roughy, when others were doing PT courses or trades in their spare time as they are all encouraged to do he was looking at a coaching career post his footy playing days. Hardly distracted from my perspective.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Edit - as if that auto-correct on DB's name is actually a real thing we're doing
    Barrett should now be off the swear filter going forward
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    "It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs"

Another player (Dahlhaus, Biggs, Boyd, Redpath, Stringer) who says they'd rather not player football than play at the Bulldogs. Surely the time for an in depth review is well overdue. Combined with on field results something wreaks at the club.
    I've got a lot of time for Jordan so that's statement is concerning and pretty much echoes what we've all been saying about the appearance of a stagnant program that needs to become more dynamic. I never hear any amazing adulation of Bevo in ex player interviews which maybe says something by omission, I get the feeling his much lauded love for his players could leave those left out feeling abandoned and conversely alone.
    To be fair I didn't think he was part of our best team so credit to the pies for getting him back to his best. There's some worrying signs coming out of our club at the moment.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    "It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs"

Another player (Dahlhaus, Biggs, Boyd, Redpath, Stringer) who says they'd rather not player football than play at the Bulldogs. Surely the time for an in depth review is well overdue. Combined with on field results something wreaks at the club.
    I don't think that's what he said or we can't be certain that is what he is saying. Not play may also mean ' not be selected'.
    There is a lot of doom and gloom at the moment. Expect us to come out snarling.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I read that last night. Sad reading indeed however I'm so happy he is doing well. The coaches comment is alarming also, needing a new perspective from new faces? Isn't that what most supporters have been saying as well and we continue to have the same people season after season. Maybe they might wear a different hat but it's still the same person. We're an absolute mess.
    That's another big take away. A leadership group player (life long dogs supporter) saying he was getting stale because he had the same coaches who couldn't provide fresh perspective to keep developing him as a footballer.

If the club doesn't wholesale change the coaching panel, we will continue to bleed players. If there's no change, then I'm going to consider the $200+ in membership add ons. I'm still going to do the right thing and be a social club member no matter what. But at some point the club needs to help itself, or risk frustrating us where the only avenue to protest is to dial back our hard earned.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

This is quite confronting. I can dismiss what Dahlhaus says, but a heart and soul player talking like this makes me alarmed about the club culture that is currently being created. I hope Roughies words create some soul searching at the club.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes GVGjr, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, more fodder for the 'Bevo & Co gets old fast' theory. If the likes of Roughy are feeling alienated within the confines of the club, well ... you might have a problem.

I wonder how many others might be feeling a bit stale and thinking gee, a fresh start somewhere else sounds alright.

In light of this, some of the on-field signs and conversations about 'body-language' inspire a little bit of dread.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Rough is a quality person - his story is telling and should absolutely be noted and acted upon by the club. Not to say the departed rat pack don't have their own qualities but Rough is an intelligent, thoughtful, considered individual who does not shoot from the hip.

Our club sounds like it is very corrosive inside the 4 walls.
    Last edited by Sedat; 10-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    So, more fodder for the 'Bevo & Co gets old fast' theory. If the likes of Roughy are feeling alienated within the confines of the club, well ... you might have a problem.

I wonder how many others might be feeling a bit stale and thinking gee, a fresh start somewhere else sounds alright.

In light of this, some of the on-field signs and conversations about 'body-language' inspire a little bit of dread.
    Dahl, Adams (was contracted), Redders (was contracted), Biggs (young to retire), Tom Boyd (depression, also majorly contracted) & Roughy wanted out. And we kicked out Cloke who had depression whilst at the dogs and had a contract. I'm no scientician, but that's a lot of unhappy players who didn't want the money to stay at out club. To any scienticians, I'd like to know why a group of young men who had contracted millions of dollars coming to them, would knock back said millions to play local footy (Boyd?, Biggs, Redders, Cloke) or go elsewhere including interstate (Adams).

On the flip side, that opened up lots of games for Honeychurch & Roarke last year, and Hayes this year. The future. At least La Young is something to look forward to the future about.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Rough is a quality person - his story is telling and should absolutely be noted and acted upon by the club. Not to say the departed rat pack don't have their own qualities but Rough is an intelligent, thoughtful, considered individual who does not shoot from the hip.

Out club sounds like it is very corrosive inside the 4 walls.
    I'm starting to have PTSD flashbacks to late 2014. Then we'd tried 'flexible' creative positioning of Lake forward and Higgins back. Both responded by leaving to be Norm Smith &/or B&Fs. Players were stalling in development, Liam Jones et al. Body language of players is poor. The team can do glimpses on match day, but not 4 quarters. Bad win/loss ratio. Players not running hard both ways, ala Cooney. Trouble scoring in a meaningful way. Whispers coming out about unhappy players. The coach is looking lost with game day tactics. Just waiting to see if someone gets a public spray like Jack Macrae got.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All this hand-wringing but what are the facts. Nobody can prove what goes on inside the club except those in it and close to it. It may truly be the coaches are not inspiring players. But don't we all get stale at a workplace after 10 years? The coaches may be the key problem or a minor part. The coaches may not be the key problem. Sydney just came out and smashed the Eagles. Did they suddenly change their coach? With Brendan, the coach was definitely the problem and we saw players expressing that. But until we hear otherwise from this group, can't really pin it on Luke 100%. May be other factors.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dahl, Adams (was contracted), Redders (was contracted), Biggs (young to retire), Tom Boyd (depression, also majorly contracted) & Roughy wanted out. And we kicked out Cloke who had depression whilst at the dogs and had a contract. I'm no scientician, but that's a lot of unhappy players who didn't want the money to stay at out club. To any scienticians, I'd like to know why a group of young men who had contracted millions of dollars coming to them, would knock back said millions to play local footy (Boyd?, Biggs, Redders, Cloke) or go elsewhere including interstate (Adams).

On the flip side, that opened up lots of games for Honeychurch & Roarke last year, and Hayes this year. The future. At least La Young is something to look forward to the future about.
    I don't think that Tom Cruise or L. Ron know or knew that much about football. They probably would tell you that they understand it on a level that we can't begin to appreciate until we have handed over the money for the course though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't think that Tom Cruise or L. Ron know or knew that much about football. They probably would tell you that they understand it on a level that we can't begin to appreciate until we have handed over the money for the course though.
    I was thinking of the scientician that comments on eating meat, the food chain and inspired me to go to bovine university.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm starting to have PTSD flashbacks to late 2014. Then we'd tried 'flexible' creative positioning of Lake forward and Higgins back. Both responded by leaving to be Norm Smith &/or B&Fs. Players were stalling in development, Liam Jones et al. Body language of players is poor. The team can do glimpses on match day, but not 4 quarters. Bad win/loss ratio. Players not running hard both ways, ala Cooney. Trouble scoring in a meaningful way. Whispers coming out about unhappy players. The coach is looking lost with game day tactics. Just waiting to see if someone gets a public spray like Jack Macrae got.
    Yet Crozier has come over and been twice the player he was at Freo. Suckling was also just outside best 22 at the Hawks and is critical to us when fit. Lloyd has been serviceable and Trengove pretty solid as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.