Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  92
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Really????

Who is being dismissive of Jordans character?

I just take articles in the paper with a grain of salt.

Also this
    Read the post properly.

I said dismissing 'someone of Jordan's Character', not 'dismissing Jordan's character'.

I've a lot of respect for you and always will, but you're losing me on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

DOES BEVERIDGE DESERVE CRITICISM FOR ROUGHEAD EXIT?

On Sunday afternoon, Collingwood played three tall forwards for the first time this year against the Western Bulldogs.

They did this against a team that has struggled greatly against key forwards in 2019.

Part of the Bulldogs' difficulty has come from a lack of key defenders, with premiership player Jordan Roughead joining the Pies in the trade period.

Roughead has played every game for Collingwood this year as a key defender and has been a rock in defence for them.

Former Essendon captain Tim Watson believes Roughead and Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge simply didn’t see eye to eye in his last few years at the club.

“I think it was just a personality breakdown with the coach,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“I think the coach maybe wanted him to be a player that was capable of playing at the other end of the ground and didn’t see him as possibly where he’s best suited and that is as a key position defender.

“After a while, the player stops believing in the coach and the coach stops believing in the player and the best thing that both can do is part ways.”

Former St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt finds the whole situation surrounding Roughead’s departure odd.

“It’s strange for the breakdown to occur so soon after a premiership. He’d checked out in the back half of last year,” Riewoldt said.

Roughead said as much when asked by the Herald Sun earlier in the year.

"I honestly genuinely believe a lot of it was the staleness of getting in the car every morning and driving over the West Gate Bridge to the only place that I have ever worked,” he said.

"I got drafted to the Bulldogs when I'd just turned 18, I was coming up 28 and hadn't had a different perspective. I'd had the same coach or coaches for five years and I just needed a refresher.

"I needed some different opinions and different perspectives to develop me as a person as much as a footballer.

"There were probably three or four conversations and moments throughout last year and I made the decision midway through to start looking for a new home.

"It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs, so I knew that I needed a fresh look at it and a clean slate to start again.

"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    "I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."
    Bont spoke about this 'On the couch' last night...was interesting.

If his team-mates recognised his struggles-and Bont seemed to be saying they did...then...what did they do about it?

Seemed like a question begging to be asked, but...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to retcon my attitude towards Roughy's departure because in no universe did I think that he would be going this well or even playing at the Pies, but if this is true then it's another black mark about Bevo's ability to navigate personality conflicts in what is growing to be quite a daunting rap sheet.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't want to retcon my attitude towards Roughy's departure because in no universe did I think that he would be going this well or even playing at the Pies, but if this is true then it's another black mark about Bevo's ability to navigate personality conflicts in what is growing to be quite a daunting rap sheet.
    I mean really. Tim Watson said the coach had one view about where the player best plays or could benefit the team, and the player had another, and now we're calling it a personality conflict?

This is just typical SEN crap and the reason why the station and its content makes you brain dead.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I mean really. Tim Watson said the coach had one view about where the player best plays or could benefit the team, and the player had another, and now we're calling it a personality conflict?

This is just typical SEN crap and the reason why the station and its content makes you brain dead.
    It's probably nothing, but I'm starting to lose my ability to give Bevo the benefit of the doubt in these situations, and I don't think it's an unfair inference for Watson to make.

We know that Bevo does not have the best temperament when challenged, and we know that several players, including Roughy, have stated their desire for a change in environment. We also know that Roughy is likely playing better footy now than he ever did with us. That's a fair amount of circumstantial evidence building up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably nothing, but I'm starting to lose my ability to give Bevo the benefit of the doubt in these situations, and I don't think it's an unfair inference for Watson to make.

We know that Bevo does not have the best temperament when challenged, and we know that several players, including Roughy, have stated their desire for a change in environment. We also know that Roughy is likely playing better footy now than he ever did with us. That's a fair amount of circumstantial evidence building up.
    Roughead, Dahl - who else? It's not as if it is an epidemic. Happens at every single club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd imagine it's impossible for all 44 players to see eye to eye with a coach.

Malthouse one said the last guy picked in the team thinks you're a genius, the first guy to miss out thinks you're an idiot.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

IMO players who leave clubs, more than not have a decent season or two at their new club before falling into old habits.
    Wrongly or rightly if you are saying Bevo failed Dahl and Roughie, you must also give credit for the turn around of players who have joined our list ( Suckers, Lloyd etc )

11. Likes Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watson talks of a personality breakdown over where the coach wants the player to play versus where the player wants to play. Is it possible that Watson has poorly articulated what he actually meant?

I agree that Bevo shows he can be prickly when challenged, but this to me seems to be an issue where a player is not preferred over others by the coach, feels he is not being played to the position best suited, got stale and needed a change.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that is where I sit right now as well. The Watson quote is just a guess on his behalf so I see no real merit in it but the article from Roughy were he is quoted is from a while back speaks volumes. I'm not putting my fingers in my ears and hands over my eyes saying everything is great. There is or was an issue and we need to rectify it. Start by getting some new coaches and fresh ideas into the coaching box an idea most of the forum here agree with, that would be a great start.

Post Thanks / Like

Those who know the game more intimately than I do - how does our defence structure up compared to Collingwoods?

I imagine we set a high premium on pace in our back half given how high a line we play, meaning the likes of Roberts & Rough don't fit.

Is that fair or not that simple?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Who ever was on Roughy needed to lead at the ball carrier and Roughy wouldn't have got a look in.
    Defending is his best position because as a forward he was on par with Will Minson.
    He was ok as a ruck but not great. Very grateful for his efforts to get us a flag but I've moved on.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Who ever was on Roughy needed to lead at the ball carrier and Roughy wouldn't have got a look in.
    Defending is his best position because as a forward he was on par with Will Minson.
    He was ok as a ruck but not great. Very grateful for his efforts to get us a flag but I've moved on.
    Me too.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"I honestly genuinely believe a lot of it was the staleness of getting in the car every morning and driving over the West Gate Bridge to the only place that I have ever worked,” he said.

"I got drafted to the Bulldogs when I'd just turned 18, I was coming up 28 and hadn't had a different perspective. I'd had the same coach or coaches for five years and I just needed a refresher.

"I needed some different opinions and different perspectives to develop me as a person as much as a footballer.

"There were probably three or four conversations and moments throughout last year and I made the decision midway through to start looking for a new home.
    Whilst I’m reluctant to place much blame on Bevo I do hope that Roughy’s sentiment above is not lost on Chris Grant and Peter.

If we are bringing in players from 18, and 11 years on, in such a demanding workplace, and expect to maintain their enthusiasm, and to leverage their leadership credentials for the next batch coming through then it is incumbent on our Football Operations to continue to reinvigorate / changeover those charged with developing and mentoring to avoid our players becoming stale and looking for a new experience by mid season. Keep Bevo on to steer the ship but I do hope that we we undertake a serious refresh of his lieutenants.

Reading Roughy’s words I hope that Toby is not in that place of disillusionment that Rough was in last season.

18. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket, GVGjr, azabob liked this post