Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  92
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I posed the question last year if Roughead is going to be a player whose better suited to a forward - ruck role, like Tippett. The response wasn't overwhelming then, and almost everyone said that Cordy would play that forward - ruck role, with Roughead predominately in the ruck.

Based on last night's game, I think my argument certainly has some strong merits to it.
    I agree he looks like he could be great as a forward. Similarly he looks like he will be a great ruckman, so it comes down to which role the clubs requires him to fill.
    Before Darcy's knee decided it would ruin his brilliant career (touchwood it doesn't happen to Roughie), he was being used in both roles and the club began to realise how damaging he could be up forward and we supporters dared to dream.
    Maybe Roughie can fulfill that thwarted dream.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordys going to be on the unday footy show soon....

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I really love the look of him. Like in any industry, you want people who are just made for the job and Jordan is that. He seems to have all the right tools and so much natural development in him.

I really love his leap, whether it's in a ruck contest or going for mark. Watching him at Willy, he seems to struggle to use the strength at times but with experience the timing will come. Unlike a lot of young ruckmen who also seems a natural tap/palmer of the ball. Getting these separate components to work together may take a bit of time but his base is already AFL 2nd ruck level IMO.

His mobility looks OK but as GVG has mentioned, his footy brain impresses me massively. Runs to the right areas all around the ground. Fitness is another attribute that naturally improves at Jordan's age (assuming he is willing). His smarts and his leap mean we already aren't carrying him in his 'spells' up forward. Ever so vital playing alongside such a pure ruck in Hudson.

Wisby(?) compared him to Charman and he already looks up for the physical/contested ball work as a ruck. Another area that will naturally improve with physical development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minson27 View Post
    Jordys going to be on the unday footy show soon....
    Very impressive performance on the show, especially for a 19yo. Seems very mentally balanced and unflappable. Great characteristics to have in AFL.
    We don't tend to talk about mental characteristics in AFL but they are surely as important as physical skill. It separates the wheat from the chaff, those that can bring their talents to bear when the moment arrives. Templeton could do it McPherson could do it. So could Darcy and Brad Hardie. Higgins has got it. Doug Hawkins failed to kick the amount of goals his talent warranted. He like many players was better on the run but when he had time to think about a set shot he missed a high proportion he should have nailed with his physical talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Very impressive performance on the show, especially for a 19yo. Seems very mentally balanced and unflappable. Great characteristics to have in AFL.
    We don't tend to talk about mental characteristics in AFL but they are surely as important as physical skill. It separates the wheat from the chaff, those that can bring their talents to bear when the moment arrives. Templeton could do it McPherson could do it. So could Darcy and Brad Hardie. Higgins has got it. Doug Hawkins failed to kick the amount of goals his talent warranted. He like many players was better on the run but when he had time to think about a set shot he missed a high proportion he should have nailed with his physical talent.
    Fev is brilliant when the pressure is on but he isnt the smartest tool in the shed either.
    So is he wheat or chaff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    Roughead and Cordy will be a better combination.
    Don't discount the value of Will's strength and aggression.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jordan's debut more than justified the decision to jettison Skipper - I'm a massive fan. The current arrangement is win-win; Minson can build on both fitness and confidence, and Roughead can continue to impress and gain experience until the wear and tear of senior footy catches up with his young frame.

Great start
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Fev is brilliant when the pressure is on but he isnt the smartest tool in the shed either.
    So is he wheat or chaff?
    No brains no feeling.
    Champions seem to respond to 'pressure' situations as 'opportunity'.
    Its more evident in golf. Nicklaus and Thomson et al could get themselves up for the majors and if they had a sniff they could produce their best even though they weren't the most physically talented. In footy guys like Johnson, most captains etc know the monent in a game when something special is needed and can respond. That's a mental attribute that not all talented players have. Hopefully this orange Roughie has the attribute and can develop it. If he also has a brain then he's unlikely to piss on shop windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Why I had to leave the Bulldogs

Premiership star moves to the biggest club in town and becomes the key to its defence. And still no-one recognises him.

This is the scenario which Jordan Roughead confronts daily ... and he loves it.

The Collingwood fullback lives around the corner from his new home at the Holden Centre in the middle of Melbourne's sporting precinct and can come and go as he pleases.

"I don't get recognised and I love it," Roughead says. "I put the glasses on and I become invisible which is nice."

He then jokes: "I think it helps that you don't get a kick also."

It's not how many kicks Roughead gets which matters, it's how few his opponents have been getting this season which has quickly seen him become a favourite of the Collingwood army.

This was highlighted back in Round 10 when he stood Sydney star Lance Franklin and kept him to six touches.

"To be honest I was probably lucky to get him in his first game back and he was looking for some match fitness," he says.

"I'd actually spent a half on him in a NAB Cup game back in about 2012 and he kicked three or four that day so at least it went better this time."

The sight of Roughead, 28, holding together Collingwood's back half is a weekly dagger in the heart of Western Bulldogs fans who still struggle to work out how easily he was let go.

He became a Magpie in exchange for a fourth-round selection, No. 78, in last year's draft which the Dogs used to select VFL player Will Hayes.

Given the Dogs lack of tall defenders it's certainly a head scratcher, but the man himself is adamant he's a different person and player to the one who was wallowing in the VFL last year which accelerated his exit from the Whitten Oval.

"I put a lot of it down to the change of environment," Roughead explains.

"I think there is a bit of desire to prove that last year ... it was almost like my career was winding down and that I wasn't going to spend much more time in the game.

"There is a desire, whether it is to prove people wrong or show that you're still capable of playing the best game in Australia at the highest level."

So how do you go from playing a crucial role in the Bulldogs 2016 premiership victory to staring at the scrap heap two years later?

"I think there are multiple reasons," he says after a long pause. "I honestly genuinely believe a lot of it was the staleness of getting in the car every morning and driving over the West Gate Bridge to the only place that I have ever worked.

"I got drafted to the Bulldogs when I'd just turned 18, I was coming up 28 and hadn't had a different perspective. I'd had the same coach or coaches for five years and I just needed a refresher.

"I needed some different opinions and different perspectives to develop me as a person as much as a footballer.

"There were probably three or four conversations and moments throughout last year and I made the decision midway through to start looking for a new home.

"It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs, so I knew that I needed a fresh look at it and a clean slate to start again.

"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."

It wasn't the first time his faith had been tested and when his premiership teammate Tom Boyd's sad fall from grace is brought up, Roughead reveals he'd experienced mental health battles earlier in his career.

"Mental health is a huge problem in the game. I think it is one of the biggest challenges the game faces going forward, to keep players in the game and maintain their passion and love of the game because it is something that can be extinguished pretty quickly.

"I had some anxiety and mental health challenges of my own through 2014-15. I just got in a hole from injury, form, expectation on myself and other people.

"There were a multitude of factors, I was probably too focused on football at that point in my life. I needed some things outside of footy whether it was mates or investing in my studies, whatever it was to distract myself from football.

"I learnt a lot about myself through that time, I worked with a sports psych to, I guess, become more resilient and understand what makes me tick and how to help myself when I experience some challenges.

"Last year I looked at footy as a great opportunity when I was playing VFL footy to help the guys that were going to have long careers in the AFL who were in that VFL team.

"As much as it was a challenge for me, it was great because it made me realise that potentially I have a career in coaching after footy or in development."

That's all on hold for a couple of years with Roughead eyeing another premiership and the chance to feel those "goosebumps" which still strike when his mind wanders back to 2016.

"I want to experience it again and I want to help other people experience it," he says.

“Someone asked me the other night to describe the feeling of winning the premiership. I don't think there are words to do it justice, it's something you have to live to understand."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d0866382fc7702
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

10. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, bulldogtragic, josie, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs"

Another player (Dahlhaus, Biggs, Boyd, Redpath, Stringer) who says they'd rather not player football than play at the Bulldogs. Surely the time for an in depth review is well overdue. Combined with on field results something wreaks at the club.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    "It had got to the point where it probably would have been not play, over playing for the Bulldogs"

Another player (Dahlhaus, Biggs, Boyd, Redpath, Stringer) who says they'd rather not player football than play at the Bulldogs. Surely the time for an in depth review is well overdue. Combined with on field results something wreaks at the club.
    With the exception of Boyd, they all have shown at times that footy isn't/wasn't their number one priority.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty alarming I would have thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Its been pretty plain on the evidence for a while that the coaching staff and club in general are poor managers of personalities and conflict; the Talia and GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub squabbles were taken as galvanising experiences at the time but in hindsight were (and in the case of GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub continue to be) petty and set a standard that we appear to have taken on to our list management.

There's a fine line between exerting discipline and being out of touch with the needs of your players.

Edit - as if that auto-correct on DB's name is actually a real thing we're doing
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Its been pretty plain on the evidence for a while that the coaching staff and club in general are poor managers of personalities and conflict; the Talia and GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub squabbles were taken as galvanising experiences at the time but in hindsight were (and in the case of GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub continue to be) petty and set a standard that we appear to have taken on to our list management.

There's a fine line between exerting discipline and being out of touch with the needs of your players.

Edit - as if that auto-correct on DB's name is actually a real thing we're doing
    I'll fix that in the next day or so
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Particularly with Roughead also saying that "There were a multitude of factors, I was probably too focused on football at that point in my life. I needed some things outside of footy whether it was mates or investing in my studies, whatever it was to distract myself from football" so it's not like he was distracted but just looking to strike a better balance.

I've got a lot of time for Roughead and I wouldn't be quick to dismiss his comments. Perhaps there is something the club could look at and learn from.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"