Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  92
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

Gotta say Roughy is someone I’d be taking heed in what he says . Club needs a massive overhaul at seasons end .
    Few players there though I’d suggest didn’t do themselves any favours . We all know the stories so let’s not guild the lilly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dahl, Adams (was contracted), Redders (was contracted), Biggs (young to retire), Tom Boyd (depression, also majorly contracted) & Roughy wanted out. And we kicked out Cloke who had depression whilst at the dogs and had a contract. I'm no scientician, but that's a lot of unhappy players who didn't want the money to stay at out club. To any scienticians, I'd like to know why a group of young men who had contracted millions of dollars coming to them, would knock back said millions to play local footy (Boyd?, Biggs, Redders, Cloke) or go elsewhere including interstate (Adams).

On the flip side, that opened up lots of games for Honeychurch & Roarke last year, and Hayes this year. The future. At least La Young is something to look forward to the future about.
    Obscure reference, gold!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the previous posts, one thing that concerns me also is how are we perceived amongst other AFL players as a destination? Considering we have struggled to land A graders this could be a concern.
    Players will fall out with coaches of course, Lachie Neale and Ross Lyon an example, and players have improved with us as explained but it's certainly something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree with all the previous posts, one thing that concerns me also is how are we perceived amongst other AFL players as a destination? Considering we have struggled to land A graders this could be a concern.
    Players will fall out with coaches of course, Lachie Neale and Ross Lyon an example, and players have improved with us as explained but it's certainly something to consider.
    I agree, an opportunity worth exploring
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is when you have 45 players at a club, they are not all going to be 100% happy for various reasons. If a player is not getting games, and think they should be, they will be disgruntled and want to change to a new club.

Roughie is a great guy, and who knows what happened behind closed doors, there are always two sides to a story. Take a person when they get the sack, they publicly say they resigned.

It was obvious that Roughie wasn't the greatest tap ruck in the AFL and was struggling to get a game. It was also obvious our coaches didn't see him slotting into the backline, or maybe he just wanted a change.

I say good luck to him, but I don't read into his departure that there are issues at the club with players overall.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be reading too much into it other than our program has gotten stale and those delivering it need to be turned over. Something blind Freddy can see, I'll be super pissed off with Grant, Baines and Gordon if they don't have the apricots to force changes after a substantial review.

It's actually reached a point where the supporters need to be extremely vocal in their disapproval and aggressively lobby the club to make changes.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was thinking of the scientician that comments on eating meat, the food chain and inspired me to go to bovine university.
    Is he crazy? No, just ignorant. You see your crazy friend never heard of.... The food chain.

That is gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wouldn't be reading too much into it other than our program has gotten stale and those delivering it need to be turned over. Something blind Freddy can see, I'll be super pissed off with Grant, Baines and Gordon if they don't have the apricots to force changes after a substantial review.
    Wasn't the time to do this in the 2017 off-season? We had 2 elite years prior and then dropped from 19 wins to 11 wins in 1 season. What on earth have our senior management been doing the last 2 years, presiding over minimal changes and even worse on-field results (8 wins in 2018 and likely even less this year)?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The thing is when you have 45 players at a club, they are not all going to be 100% happy for various reasons. If a player is not getting games, and think they should be, they will be disgruntled and want to change to a new club.

Roughie is a great guy, and who knows what happened behind closed doors, there are always two sides to a story. Take a person when they get the sack, they publicly say they resigned.

It was obvious that Roughie wasn't the greatest tap ruck in the AFL and was struggling to get a game. It was also obvious our coaches didn't see him slotting into the backline, or maybe he just wanted a change.

I say good luck to him, but I don't read into his departure that there are issues at the club with players overall.
    There are probably ok & valid reasons for each individual who departs a club, but at some point it reaches critical mass where we have to at least pose the questions of whether our club has somehow become an unhappy place to be. Roughie’s comments are that turning point for me.

It can’t always be “them” and not “us.”
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

13. Likes bulldogtragic, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wasn't the time to do this in the 2017 off-season? We had 2 elite years prior and then dropped from 19 wins to 11 wins in 1 season. What on earth have our senior management been doing the last 2 years, presiding over minimal changes and even worse on-field results (8 wins in 2018 and likely even less this year)?
    Yes, the end of 2017 would have been suitable, but I can understand the club giving some latitude. The absolute very latest should have been after last year, but again it looks as if latitude has been given. There simply isn't any room for it anymore, and if the three I mentioned don't do anything to generate a review based change then their positions at the club should be up for debate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    There are probably ok & valid reasons for each individual who departs a club, but at some point it reaches critical mass where we have to at least pose the questions of whether our club has somehow become an unhappy place to be. Roughie’s comments are that turning point for me.

It can’t always be “them” and not “us.”
    Critical Mass? I don't see one.

I do agree and have said before, we need to change up the assistant coaches and get some new ideas in.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Critical Mass? I don't see one.

I do agree and have said before, we need to change up the assistant coaches and get some new ideas in.
    I used to be similar in thought. I'm starting to question things now. The flip side of attracting elite talent is of major concern to me and I see a correlation. What's the answer I'm unsure.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be similar in thought. I'm starting to question things now. The flip side of attracting elite talent is of major concern to me and I see a correlation. What's the answer I'm unsure.
    We have never really attracted elite talent, so nothing has changed there.

Post Thanks / Like

We have never really attracted elite talent, so nothing has changed there.
    We attract them later in their career's. Cloke, Hall and Aker for example would have been headline additions if they were traded for 2 or 3 years earlier
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I do hope Roughie's words resonate with the club and provoke some self-reflection and honest debate about whether there are things we could be doing better in regard to our management of the players.
    Something isn't necessarily awry just because one bloke had a negative eperience; but Roughie is a quality bloke, and some of his attributed comments strike me as troubling. They're not the usual defensive outbursts indicative of a personal falling out, but rather an insight into an environment that was stale and devoid of stimulus.
    I'll be very disappointed if the club doesn't think about what Roughie has said. This isnt the ramblings of someone looking to take a cheap shot by tweeting about being ' so motovated'.

21. Likes Sedat, The bulldog tragician liked this post