Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead

Yep he'd be playing this week for us for sure is on our list
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand what happened to Roughhead in his last year on our list. His best position is downback, can hold his own against most players, and provides a chop out in the ruck.

Were the coaches trying to turn him into something else ?

Were there flaws in his game which could not be rectified?

You can never have enough depth in terms of capable big men.

I felt it was a real shame losing him.

Post Thanks / Like

Should of been a one club for life player.
    Should of still been on our list.
    Yeah, body was cooked in the ruck, he wasn't a number 1 ruck, but *!*!*!*! he was solid as shit down back.

Still perplexed we got rid of such a good clubman, another Bevo *!*!*!*! up.

Congrats on the 200 games.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Should of been a one club for life player.
    Should of still been on our list.
    Yeah, body was cooked in the ruck, he wasn't a number 1 ruck, but *!*!*!*! he was solid as shit down back.

Still perplexed we got rid of such a good clubman, another Bevo *!*!*!*! up.

Congrats on the 200 games.
    So you supported him being used as a defender for us when most didn't?

Good on him for carving more games out. I agree he'd be serviceable for us now in his current role, but I don't see how that would have eventuated under Bevo.

It's a massive shame he felt he needed to leave, or was force to, or whatever. He's a Bulldogs legend and I wish him well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So you supported him being used as a defender for us when most didn't?

Good on him for carving more games out. I agree he'd be serviceable for us now in his current role, but I don't see how that would have eventuated under Bevo.

It's a massive shame he felt he needed to leave, or was force to, or whatever. He's a Bulldogs legend and I wish him well.
    He performed pretty well as a defender for us and most of the angst on here with the decision to play him there was because B-Mac made it.
    If it had have been Eade or someone else who moved him there it would have been accepted by more people.
    Most Collingwood supporters I talk to think he's done well as a key defender for them.

Having said that his preference was to play as the first ruck for us but he just had to accept the challenge.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of revisionist history goes on with Roughead. He was great in 2016 but his body kept breaking down in the ruck which was what everyone agreed was his best role and the role in the side we needed him to fill. He hadn't played defense, aside from as a very occasional stop gap, in years. He's performing better in defense with Collingwood than he did for us and good on him for making it work.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    A lot of revisionist history goes on with Roughead. He was great in 2016 but his body kept breaking down in the ruck which was what everyone agreed was his best role and the role in the side we needed him to fill. He hadn't played defense, aside from as a very occasional stop gap, in years. He's performing better in defense with Collingwood than he did for us and good on him for making it work.
    This is exactly right. I loved Jordan but it was clear it wasn't working out with us.

Sometimes players need to move on to get a reset and that's what happened with him. I'm happy for him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He performed pretty well as a defender for us and most of the angst on here with the decision to play him there was because B-Mac made it.
    If it had have been Eade or someone else who moved him there it would have been accepted by more people.
    Most Collingwood supporters I talk to think he's done well as a key defender for them.

Having said that his preference was to play as the first ruck for us but he just had to accept the challenge.
    I was one that didn't like moving Roughead back as we had Lake. Unfortunately, BMacc thought Lake was done as a Backman and told him he would never play back again at the Bulldogs, and he would move him forward.

Good on Roughy to do well in the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought he was a reasonable tall defender, and after Matthew Scarlett publically said that Roughead had big potential there, was willing to back that view.

I think there was some frustration with Jordan that every game he seemed to go down with what looked like a season ending injury during the game and then come back 15 minutes later.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Roughy - terrific guy and deserves all the success that has come his way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I always thought he was a reasonable tall defender, and after Matthew Scarlett publically said that Roughead had big potential there, was willing to back that view.
    I have bad memories of Rough's time as a defender in late 2014 when battling with a bung shoulder he was taken to the cleaners by Carlisle (8 goals) and his cousin (6 goals) in successive weeks. He didn't play in that position much after that with us and I didn't believe he could fulfill the role as he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think there was some frustration with Jordan that every game he seemed to go down with what looked like a season ending injury during the game and then come back 15 minutes later.
    Yep, his durability was a concern... my family and I had running bets on how many times Roughy would end up in the hands of the trainers each game.

But great effort by Roughy to get to 200... so glad he overcame the eye injury and made a great contribution to our GF win.. will never forget his mark after JJ's disallowed goal.. was huge in the context of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

We were too quick to pull the trigger if form was the only question.
    His recent form at Collingwood is evidence of that.
    Got bashed around in the ruck too much.
    But adding the other factor, with injuries there was always a cloud over him.
    Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia with medical resources that probably helped him get the most out of himself.

He's my favourite ex, if that doesn't odd. Ballarat boy now playing for Australia's biggest club. Well done.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    We were too quick to pull the trigger if form was the only question.
    His recent form at Collingwood is evidence of that.
    Got bashed around in the ruck too much.
    But adding the other factor, with injuries there was always a cloud over him.
    Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia with medical resources that probably helped him get the most out of himself.

He's my favourite ex, if that doesn't odd. Ballarat boy now playing for Australia's biggest club. Well done.
    We lost both he and Campbell at the same time. It seems like it was a real flag in the sand moment about how we valued rucks
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

PIES SHOCK: Veteran defender hangs up the boots

COLLINGWOOD defender Jordan Roughead has retired.
    The former Western Bulldogs backman and 2016 premiership player is understood to have addressed his teammates on Friday morning to announce his decision.

It comes as the 31-year-old has battled ongoing shoulder injuries in recent times including surgery in February this year, with a finger injury also sidelining him this season.

Jordan Roughead at Collingwood training on March 16, 2022. Picture: Getty Images

Roughead made the call over a number of weeks and was not driven by the Pies to make the decision ahead of next week's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, although it will open a second selection for the club to use if it chooses.

He played only one game this season with his absence hurting the club's key defensive stocks.

Roughead joined the Magpies at the end of 2018, having played 138 games for the Bulldogs since debuting in 2010.

That included playing all bar one game in the club's historic 2016 premiership season, with Roughead a pivotal part of its flag by taking on ruck duties throughout that campaign under coach Luke Beveridge in the Dogs' magic ride to the drought-breaking premiership.

Jordan Roughead celebrates the 2016 premiership triumph with the Western Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos

He joined the Pies at a bargain rate two years later in exchange for pick 75 and played every game the following year as the Magpies made it to the preliminary final, with his versatility a key part of his game throughout his career.

The 201-gamer, who is a cousin of Hawthorn great Jarryd, has also taken a keen interest in the club's AFLW side through a coaching role.

The Magpies already had an open spot to be used at the mid-season draft via the season-ending shoulder injury to recruit Nathan Kreuger.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In my eyes Roughy will always be a doggie. Come back to the fold son.

18. Likes josie liked this post