Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

"A good mark for his size..."

"A good mark for his size..." - often said about Johnno, never said about Minson.

What makes some players such a good mark and others very ordinary?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "A good mark for his size..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    "A good mark for his size..." - often said about Johnno, never said about Minson.

Good markers pick up the flight of the ball earlier than the average joe.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably referring to ability in contested situations more than marking skill. Minson should be good as he's a ruckman. Smalls like Johnson aren't expected to beat guys like Harley in contested situations because of the size difference

Post Thanks / Like

One thing is a player's ability to mark the ball at it's highest point, meaning having their arms fully extended. Johnson does this to perfection and is very strong at positioning himself well. Minson, on the other hand, often tries marking the ball with bent arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno's marks are usually one-grab. Very clean hands, even under extreme pressure.
    Positions himself well in a contest, too. Very rarely squeezed out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about timing and a quick first few steps. Johnson has it and the Hawk had it.

Minson often tries to overpower his opponents instead of parking his huge frame in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney, Griffen, Hill - especially once he gets some more size. We have quite a few smaller guys who are good on the lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's all about timing and a quick first few steps. Johnson has it and the Hawk had it.

Minson often tries to overpower his opponents instead of parking his huge frame in front of them.
    Is it just a natural thing and judgement, or can it be taught?

Is that natural/judgement thing and being in the right place at the right time the difference between a good forward and a failed forward turned defender?

FWIW, I reckon Cross is a pretty good mark too.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just a natural thing and judgement, or can it be taught?

Is that natural/judgement thing and being in the right place at the right time the difference between a good forward and a failed forward turned defender?

FWIW, I reckon Cross is a pretty good mark too.
    It can be taught but you need to have an aptitude for it as well. Cross is an excellent mark backing into packs etc but probably a fair bit less effective on a strong lead. If it makes sense, in my opinion Cross marks more like a natural defender than a natural forward. He tends to take match saving marks rather than match winning ones.
    Higgins has some ability with his marking. He has strong hands and his timing is very good. It helps that he has enough strength that doesn't get knocked of the ball easily as well.

Lake is a very good mark at both ends of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Brian Lake is definitely up there as one of the best marks in the league and probably the best mark as a deep defender...I think the stats probably back this up too.

We look the goods as a side when he has the confidence to take marks deep in defence...keep doing it Brian!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It can be taught but you need to have an aptitude for it as well. Cross is an excellent mark backing into packs etc but probably a fair bit less effective on a strong lead. If it makes sense, in my opinion Cross marks more like a natural defender than a natural forward. He tends to take match saving marks rather than match winning ones.
    Higgins has some ability with his marking. He has strong hands and his timing is very good. It helps that he has enough strength that doesn't get knocked of the ball easily as well.

Lake is a very good mark at both ends of the ground.
    I think there are two categories of contested marking ability.

There is the type that Cross is brilliant at, and Lake is as well. Its where they aren't the target of the kick, but cut across to take it instead of that target. This requires an ability to read the kicks coming in well, good positioning and a willingness to put yourself in potentially vulnerable spots (because usually you're cutting off a moving target). However, it doesn't really require any of the aerobic capability of the other type.

Then there is the other type of mark, which Cross isn't so good at, but guys like Johnson are. This is where they are the target, and have the ability to position their body and time everything so that they can take the mark cleanly. The difference here is that as they are the target their opponents are looking to directly stop the mark. Physical attributes usually help here, with acceleration, height, strength and leap all coming into play. You'll notice that the players who take these sort of marks spend more time up forward than those who use the other technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been a better "mark for their size" than Jock Edmond?

I can't help but think that as a 5 year old little Brad Johnson may have pestered his mum to sew a number 20 on the back of his footy jumper.

Both of them have great hands and can out manouvere opposition players, bigger in stature. Jock had the ability to take a hanger on occasions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    No, I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but think that as a 5 year old little Brad Johnson may have pestered his mum to sew a number 20 on the back of his footy jumper.

Both of them have great hands and can out manouvere opposition players, bigger in stature. Jock had the ability to take a hanger on occasions.
    One of my favourites, had the no 20 positoned on my jumper exactly how Jock had it.
    I often wandered how good it would be if he was a few inches taller. We would have a gun kpp!