Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fijian AFL recruit's visa rejected

Fijian AFL recruit's visa rejected

A Fijian footballer is being denied the chance to train with the Western Bulldogs AFL club in Melbourne because of his father's involvement with the Fijian military.

The Immigration Department says a visa application by 19-year-old Inoke Ratu was rejected because of sanctions against Fiji's interim government.

Ratu was to be one of the first Fijian players to join the AFL under the International Scholarship List, which was introduced last year.

He says he is heartbroken that he may not get that chance.

"I'm a bit disappointed at the moment - everything that has been my target, my aim this year has been turned down just because of my visa application," he said.

Simon Dalrymple from the Western Bulldogs says the club will appeal against the decision.

"He was shattered and we basically just told him that we're not going to give up hope and that we're working really hard to get him to Australia," he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fijian AFL recruit's visa rejected

Is it just me or do these things never happen to other clubs? Is it just that i dont notice it happening to other clubs or what?
    Geez we cop more than our fair share of rubbish decisions
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

We should've predicted that something like this was going to happen...nothing is ever smooth sailing for us, no matter what we try and do...

Post Thanks / Like

Lameeeeee.

42-C-3 will be crushed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on ABC news tonight, couldn't believe politics will stop the kid. Lets hope the appeal goes through.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

MAybe next time the club will check with immigration first. Seems very amatuerish to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    MAybe next time the club will check with immigration first. Seems very amatuerish to me
    very much like ALL your posts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Is it just me or do these things never happen to other clubs? Is it just that i dont notice it happening to other clubs or what?
    Geez we cop more than our fair share of rubbish decisions
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gent View Post
    We should've predicted that something like this was going to happen...nothing is ever smooth sailing for us, no matter what we try and do...
    Wow, maybe we could feel a little more pity for ourselves, poor old us, boo freakin hoo.
    Imagine the hide of the Immigration Department to decide who gets a Visa or not based on something other than the needs of our football club. I'm not saying I agree with it or that it's right but maybe it's not just about us. You don't even know what role his father played in the Fijian military who haven't exactly historically been the most reasonable group of people.
    We've had some pretty good luck in recent times (some of it of our own making), especially concerning money from government bodies, which has us far more secure than we've been in a while. I feel sorry for the kid but the chance of this coming off is pretty miniscule anyway so before we get too mawkish about how hard life is for us poor Bulldogs maybe we should chuck on our perspective goggles and get the **** over it
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

So the kid suffers for his fathers actions?
    He isnt in the military, his dad is.
    So if Charles Manson had a child the child should be punished?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    Check with immigration if the 1,000 or so people who turned up to training would be allowed Visa's?

I think the immigration department would have laughed at us and told us to stop wasting their time.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the chances of resolving this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

We still have some level of sanction with the Fijian government so a Visa was always going to be a difficult process. Would be interesting to hear what his dad does in the military, considering until recently we would attach Naval personal on Fijian ships & instiutions for short periods of time.

As I understand it, they operate the same class of patrol vessel as we do.

Post Thanks / Like

I spend 4 days in hospital ang get this news when i first log on.

Disgrace. Bloody beaurcratic bullshit, his father's relationship with the military has nothing to do with the great support he can give his country by coming here and being a great role model. There is only good than can come of Inoke coming here and prosperity and improved awareness and relationships.

We have to take back criminals who we deport but can not allow a doctor with a disabled son and a young Fijian boy into our country. If ever there was another job for Peter Gordon this should be it.

Inoke swam through a flooded river after being thorn into it by his uncle and brought great hope to many. Many said it was God who made it happen. It is a great story, yet Australian beaurcrats seem hellbent on denying him. What act is this.

I hope the AFL, the club and people comitted to a better Australia fight for Inoke's right to come here and try for a better life, represent his country, highlight the issues of his land and represent hope and prosperity.

Inoke. Inoke. Inoke.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Seven showed Loke at the airport with Dalrymple talking a bit. No mention or Inoke

stav2044 Guest

I Talk to Inoke every week. I am his Aunty and i live in Melbourne. The club would be very wise to pursue Inokes Visa Application. I have known Inoke since he was 5years old (my husband and his mum are brother/sister). I love the way you support him and i have told him about you. I just got back last month and he was so excited about the whole thing. I dropped him off at training every day without fail. His commitment, discipline, passion and humbleness will definately get him a Brownlow if he plays.