Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Historical bulldog articles

I've been finding a few different sources for articles about the history of Footwcray football club and thought I would post them up. Something to read over the off season.

Match report 1913 Grand Final:

http://australianfootball.com/articl...BMelbourne/798

Was the 1924 Chamionship of Victoria game tarnished?

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar...900&querytext=

Maybe our first Father/Son combination?

http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/a...rs-of-Football

I will add some more soon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Thanks bornadog, Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Historical bulldog articles

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've been finding a few different sources for articles about the history of Footwcray football club and thought I would post them up. Something to read over the off season.

Match report 1913 Grand Final:

http://australianfootball.com/articl...BMelbourne/798

Was the 1924 Chamionship of Victoria game tarnished?

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar...900&querytext=

An Father/Son combination from the old days:

[url]http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article67-Two-George-Ogilvie-s-40-years-o

I will add some more soon.

Not much has changed at Essendon really since 1924.

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Not much has changed at Essendon really since 1924.

They have moaned and bitched and carped on about that match for 91 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever Hawthorn or North fans get on their high horse, it's always good to mention that they only got into the VFL on our coattails (most of them don't have a clue about the history anyway, in my experience).

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. We did all the hard work and they surfed in on our waves.

Post Thanks / Like

It's worth remembering too that we got to a flag by 1954, whereas Hawthorn took till 1961 (when coming from behind to overrun us in the GF) and North 1975, so in the first few decades we really were the leading team of the 1920s inductees. Of course, the last 50+ years haven't been so hot, but these things do change..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    It's worth remembering too that we got to a flag by 1954, whereas Hawthorn took till 1961 (when coming from behind to overrun us in the GF) and North 1975, so in the first few decades we really were the leading team of the 1920s inductees. Of course, the last 50+ years haven't been so hot, but these things do change..........

In the mid 50s we had more members than any other club too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we really capitalised on our dominance as being the leading team of the 'inductees'... FMD!

Our lack of success is shameful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yeah, we really capitalised on our dominance as being the leading team of the 'inductees'... FMD!

Our lack of success is shameful.
    Certainly agree our last 50 years have been awful and, at times, shameful.

I think there are people, like John Elliot and sections of the media, who like to make out that we have always been the losers/cellar dwellars/underlings from the West.

This negative stereotype is not true of our entire history. I think it's important for us, especially younger fans, to know this as negative self perceptions as a club can impede actual performance and success. We don't have to constantly see ourselves as losers and victims (as many do and would like us to as well).

We are a strong club that had great success over it's first 80 years or so. Sure we lost our way for a few decades, performed poorly (even shamefully) for too long, but in my opinion that is not who we are and we don't have to accept the role that so many want to place us in.

That's why I'm always happy to refer back to great achievements of our past, not trying to overlook the negative recent past or pretend we're something that we're not.

13. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And we beat St Kilda to a flag and they were one of the foundation clubs. I like to remind my St Kilda friends that we are streaks ahead of them on the Premierships per Season table. As for Freo, GC and GWS. Ha. Losers
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

15. Likes Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like bornadog signature as it reminds us of all our success whether its at the top level or levels underneath.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I like bornadog signature as it reminds us of all our success whether its at the top level or levels underneath.
    Yes we are over 130 years old so let's not forget the early years of football. We won premierships when some AFL clubs like Hawks, Nth and even Richmond (till 10-3) were still in the first competition to exist ie VFA. I don't think the VFA standard then was too much different to early VFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stkilda have never even won a vfa flag
    Now that is pathetic, and we look like Bayern Munich or Brazil in comparison to that rabble

Post Thanks / Like

Footscray's fight for the four in 1940 along with a potted history of the club that I hadn't read anywhere else:

http://australianfootball.com/articl...four%2522/1154

Post Thanks / Like

Not bulldogs specific but a very good potted history of football in Victoria from 1850s until 1900:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist...n_.26_district