Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs deny Dees in fight for sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I agree, it seems almost as cultural to attack any Caro article as it does to boo umpires before the game has even started.
    The main point is we offered more than the Demons, slightly cheaper (albeit bigger then our Leaseplan deal) so we were by far the better deal for Mission.
    Maybe there's something there I missed Moffra but exactly what was interesting or for that matter new?

Seemed to me that all the facts were known and many known facts which don't support her thesis were not rebutted just ignored. That's not exactly intellectual honesty.

And as for even handedness she manages to talk up the Tiges prospects but fails to make any mention of our far more exciting list nor our infinitely better exposed form. Things that might appeal to a prospective sponsor.

I think rather than having a counter Caro culture, I have a pro logic and fairness bias and await the day when she shows evidence of undertsanding either.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post

....She is entitled to an opinion, I would just like it to be well informed, balanced and tell us something we didn't know not tell how clever she is at yet again concocting things to reflect her very lopsided view of the world and how it works, and of course how wonderful the yellow and blacks are.

Not too much to ask of someone in her position unless she is both professionally and intellectually lazy.
    She's not everyone's cup of tea but I don't think she's biased against the club. How accurate she is I wouldn't know most times because I'm not in the know. She cobbles together a good yarn. Football writing doesn't require much skill, apart from Tim Lane, they are all, Pearce, Baum, Sheahan, Stevens etc, much of a muchness. Wilson writes about the administration of football and clubs which I find interesting. She's a bit different, no better than the rest, but some of the stuff she's accused of and called on the main board is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid everything's a conspiracy with Caro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    She's not everyone's cup of tea but I don't think she's biased against the club. How accurate she is I wouldn't know most times because I'm not in the know. She cobbles together a good yarn. Football writing doesn't require much skill, apart from Tim Lane, they are all, Pearce, Baum, Sheahan, Stevens etc, much of a muchness. Wilson writes about the administration of football and clubs which I find interesting. She's a bit different, no better than the rest, but some of the stuff she's accused of and called on the main board is ridiculous.
    Don't know what the main board is, I only read and post on this board because I want to get involved in quality analysis of issues, not name calling or any form of abuse, and I hope that is what I have done and continue to try to do.

We at least agree on one point; that most of the matters in the world of football have got a hell of a lot more professional, but that positive result does not apply to many of the journos plying the craft.

Now to Caro, if she's not biased against us then I'd hate to see what she could do if she was, just spend some time analysing who her targets are and who never gets the Caro treatment.

I think what disappoints me most, is that through her position she gets access to club officials and players in their unguarded moments and exploits it for cheap headline grabbing stuff.

It is usually easy to work out who's been crying on her shoulder, and we could make a pretty good guess in the current case.

So having such potentially good material what does she do, some further in depth research or hold it up and examine it from a range of perspectives or look at the broader context?

No, she finds a catchy angle, which I acknowledge is a real skill, and then what we get is a frustratingly glib and surface treatment of the subject matter full of inuendo and implied wrong doing or sharp practice.

When you read an article like that you always learn something about the person writing it and the way their mind works. In Caro's case she seems to have a mentality and sensitivity like that of Enid Blyton. Furthermore she like Mike Sheehan, patronises the intelligence of their readers but worse they both patronise their own, because ego has overwhelmed critical thought.

If you want to read a good journalist who writes interesting stuff and who neither tries to pretend he doesn't have values nor patronises his readers then have a look at the stuff Martin Flanagan writes.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    You have a very apt moniker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    ...If you want to read a good journalist who writes interesting stuff and who neither tries to pretend he doesn't have values nor patronises his readers then have a look at the stuff Martin Flanagan writes.
    Flanagan's in a class of his own, far more a social commentator than a football writer He has an intuition about the game which all others but Tim Lane lack. Flanagan sees the game in cultural connects. He sees connections, significances, unconscious history in it. Lane sees the integrity of the game and in the game and speaks out against those who fall short of that integrity. Both love the game and it shows. The rest are pedestrian recorders of events.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Agree,usually the work of a lazy journo from the herald-sun . Mark Robinson
    yes Caro your beloved Toiges have more fans,but the comment Richmond have sold more hope than us is a tad rich.They've picked up a drug addict who hasn't played for basically 2 years,in which sposors from 2 perspective clubs had severe reservations about recruiting. Fair to say that Caro is like most Richmond fans GIDDY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Agree,usually the work of a lazy journo from the herald-sun . Mark Robinson
    yes Caro your beloved Toiges have more fans,but the comment Richmond have sold more hope than us is a tad rich.They've picked up a drug addict who hasn't played for basically 2 years,in which sposors from 2 perspective clubs had severe reservations about recruiting. Fair to say that Caro is like most Richmond fans GIDDY
    Caroline Wilson never said Richmond have sold more hope than the Bulldogs. Maybe a case of speed reading on your part?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Caroline Wilson never said Richmond have sold more hope than the Bulldogs. Maybe a case of speed reading on your part?
    They've sold a lot of hope,their supporters are suffering extreme giddyness. Getting on the airwaves giving out player stats in an intra club match

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    That may be correct but she uses the notion of desperation for other clubs, Bulldogs included, but hope for Richmond.

By any reasonable analysis, given their last 20+ years desperation would be a more apt description of Richmond and its recent initiatives, and the inability to attract a substantial sponsor. Let's not forget a coach in the last year of a 5 year term who has nothing to show but hope to the faithful, and has adopted a high risk strategy.

I for one don't find fault with the Cousins adventure, I wish him no ill and hope that he can get back his life, I've written a lot about this elsewhere, but a few other clubs found that he didn't go down well with their sponsors; after all that was the supposedly substantial matter under discussion.

But then the facts are never allowed to get in the way of an argument especially where one C Wilson is concerned.

Perhaps it is because she has a static view of the world and that in spite of the supposed vastly greater supporter base potential sponsors want some likliehood that their brand will be seen on the National stage not just consigned to obscurity amongst the numerically superior but perenially unsuccessful.

In other words there is more to attracting key sponsors than your nascent supporter base; they might just think that being associated with a club that has a stable administration and which has an attractive list and is likely to be a serious contender over the next few years is a better prospect for promoting their brand than a cot case and a mob who have long since outlived their use by date.

Sorry Caro you just don't compute.