Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Ablett was robbed of the Brownlow"

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm not sure there's currently an opposition player that I enjoy watching more (except against us). I'll pick him for my DT just so I can have another excuse to watch him at every opportunity.
    And pick him as captain so you double up too.

Post Thanks / Like

Check my signature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    For a guy that has been nigh on untacklable for a few years I didn't think it was possible

But from Saturday nights cameo Abletts agility and evasiveness looked to have gone up another level
    This could be a new word for football commentators. I love it

Let's see if Kelli Underwood gets onto it early

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong was the best team in the competittion last season but not when it counted, so they didn't win the flag.
    Ablett is an outstanding player but was not the best in the eyes of those who award the Charlie, he's a long long, long way from being the first favourite to be over looked.

This is a counter factual argument about what might have been and is worth "diddly squat" to quote a former coach.

The records will show other names for both the Premiers for season 2008 and the Brownlow.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed seeing him carry on that night. Acted like a 7 y.o missing out on pass-the-parcel turns. Very childish. Then to see in tears on GF day was the icing on the cake. He'd ask for a straw to go with his bathwater. Fantastic player, selfish person by the looks of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Ablett the best player in the comp last year? Probably Yes
    Would he have won if he didn't miss games with injury? Probably yes
    Does the best player in the comp usually win the Brownlow? Hardly Ever

Umpires judge this award, it's flawed to a large degree but it is the pre eminent award mainly because it has been around the longest.
    Lots of great players have never won one, but I bet Ablett enjoys his premiership medal from 07 quite a bit and that Cooney would swap his Brownlow for one.
    Agree with all of that
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Was Ablett the best player in the comp last year? Probably Yes
    Would he have won if he didn't miss games with injury? Probably yes
    Does the best player in the comp usually win the Brownlow? Hardly Ever

Umpires judge this award, it's flawed to a large degree but it is the pre eminent award mainly because it has been around the longest.
    Lots of great players have never won one, but I bet Ablett enjoys his premiership medal from 07 quite a bit and that Cooney would swap his Brownlow for one
    I find it amusing that for the entire season the "footy fan" abuses the umpire for their incorrect decisions yet those same fans place so much importance on the brownlow medal which is decided by votes cast by these same umpires that are ridiculed each week. Reeks of hypocrisy.

I know the more cerebral forums such as this one do not resort to this form of abuse as we consider ourselves "above" the throng, and rightfully so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I find it amusing that for the entire season the "footy fan" abuses the umpire for their incorrect decisions yet those same fans place so much importance on the brownlow medal which is decided by votes cast by these same umpires that are ridiculed each week. Reeks of hypocrisy.

I know the more cerebral forums such as this one do not resort to this form of abuse as we consider ourselves "above" the throng, and rightfully so.
    You think Ernie Sigley is "above" abusing umpires?

Might want a rethink about that one.

(Twodogs goes alright at it as well)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a problem with the umpires, mine is more a frustration as umpires do see things different, not a fault of theirs but more a game that rules are not clear cut.
    If you had one umpire doing games it would be more consistant, the fact we have 3 makes it difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can understand why he is so highly rated by the media and his own supporters but he does have a number of players in his own side that will pinch votes from him so he may never win one.

The media like to set someone up as the early favorite so it's good that it is him.
    How true, but lets not forget Coons had 21 other guys pinching votes from him each week too,. Griffo' is still good value at the lucky shop I reckon he will out poll you Gary Jr, LOL'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    You hear it all the time but there has only truely been 1 bloke who really was robbed of a Brownlow.
    I disagree.
    I think he was robbed of two.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I disagree.
    I think he was robbed of two.
    He was unlucky in 96 but no more so than a dozen others over the last 30 years

West was truely stiff, Woewoeful didn't get a vote in Melbourne's B & F in R22, 2000 (9 of his teammates did) but his 3 Brownlow votes robbed Scooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    aint that the truth
    I Grant that!!!
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I still find it exceedingly arrogant to attend a Brownlow night in a year that had many outstanding players, having missed several games due to injury, and still expect to win. Having said that, Ablett himself hasn't come out and had a sook about it, so it's unfortunate that a lot of people in effect end up hating/disliking him for something that the media/his fans have done.