Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Untouchables"?

Post Thanks / Like

"Untouchables"?

Was reading that news article here about the GC team and their draft picks.

Made me began to think who our really "untouchable" players are beyond Cooney and Griffin?

There will be many excellent draft picks offered for trade by the GC in the next 2 seasons and IMO it may turn out that most teams' untouchable list may be a lot shorter than many fans think, including ours.

(BTW none of this suggests that we should try to or encourage a trade a player like say a Hahn or Hargrave or Boyd.)
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Untouchables"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Was reading that news article here about the GC team and their draft picks.

Made me began to think who our really "untouchable" players are beyond Cooney and Griffin?

There will be many excellent draft picks offered for trade by the GC in the next 2 seasons and IMO it may turn out that most teams' untouchable list may be a lot shorter than many fans think, including ours.

(BTW none of this suggests that we should try to or encourage a trade a player like say a Hahn or Hargrave or Boyd.)
    It's Griffen.

Please continue.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's Griffen.

Please continue.....
    Thanks. Got any thoughts on the main point?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake has be on the hands off list...Gilbee also.

Also, without wanting to prematurely annoint anyone...Cordy, Grant and Roughead.

You'd also have to think long and hard before despatching any of Murphy, Higgins or a fit Tom Williams.

Beyond that, can't think of anyone else I wouldn't move for the right price.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

When are we talking? End of the 2010 season?

A fair bit will change between now and then so it's quite hard to speculate.

Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Everitt & Williams you would think would be definite hands off.

Players of the like of Gilbee, Murf, Boyd, Gia, etc.. will be 28 or 29 so there currency will be pretty much bugger all. It wont be like when Fremantle started up when you could off load junk (not saying they are or will be) for good picks.

I would hope that Cordy, Roughead, Grant, Ward, Hill and a few others would be all looking like becoming key players by the start of the 2011 season so I wouldn't be offloading them either.

I suppose it's going to come down to how we have gone in the 2009 & 2010 seasons before we decide how big a player we will be in the 'GC draft'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Lake has be on the hands off list...Gilbee also.

Also, without wanting to prematurely annoint anyone...Cordy, Grant and Roughead.

You'd also have to think long and hard before despatching any of Murphy, Higgins or a fit Tom Williams.

Beyond that, can't think of anyone else I wouldn't move for the right price.
    I'd keep Morris over the myth of a fit Tom Williams. A fit Tom Williams is good in theory but it's still just a theory.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible we could remain completely untouched or will GC most likely get a player from most if not all clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Is it possible we could remain completely untouched or will GC most likely get a player from most if not all clubs
    Rumour is that's why Cam Wight is still on the list
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I think most teams will feel some pain. It's just how big the pain will be.

They'll want some 'home grown' talent. St Nick is the obvious one, but don't be surprised if Williams can stay on the track, if they make a play for him.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least one of Ward, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Roughead, Grant, maybe even a Higgins.

There'll be some serious money available for some young kids if they show a bit of form in the next 2 years.

The list of 'untouchables' in so far as us actively or happily trading is longer than the list of 'untouchables' that might be lured by some extra wedge and hype.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefuly Scott Claytons good relationship with us persuades him to look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I think most teams will feel some pain. It's just how big the pain will be.

They'll want some 'home grown' talent. St Nick is the obvious one, but don't be surprised if Williams can stay on the track, if they make a play for him.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least one of Ward, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Roughead, Grant, maybe even a Higgins.

There'll be some serious money available for some young kids if they show a bit of form in the next 2 years.

The list of 'untouchables' in so far as us actively or happily trading is longer than the list of 'untouchables' that might be lured by some extra wedge and hype.
    The only way GC get hold of some quality players from other clubs would be through trading, so the other clubs will be making sure all their "untouchables" are well & truly signed up in 2010, so therefor if they want em, they'll have to pay alot for those types.

All clubs will no doubt have to hand over a player or 2, but those players would be on the scrap heap anyway or just depth players.

Post Thanks / Like

Our untouchable list :

Cooney
    Cordy
    Cross
    Everitt
    Gilbee
    Grant
    Griffen
    Higgins
    Lake
    Morris
    Murphy
    Roughead
    Ward
    Williams [depending on fitness]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: "Untouchables"?

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Rumour is that's why Cam Wight is still on the list
    It'd want to be a great packet of chips. Maybe those Red rock Deli ones. The cracked pepper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I suppose it's going to come down to how we have gone in the 2009 & 2010 seasons before we decide how big a player we will be in the 'GC draft'.
    Spot on.

I think it's been stated openly and behind closed doors that we expect a premiership in the cabinet by 2010. If we haven't had success by then, it throws up all sorts of scenarios as to what we will be doing with our list at that time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    The only way GC get hold of some quality players from other clubs would be through trading, so the other clubs will be making sure all their "untouchables" are well & truly signed up in 2010, so therefor if they want em, they'll have to pay alot for those types.
    Or perhaps the player managers will just say, "nope, we'll wait until 2010 thanks".