Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Untouchables"?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Untouchables"?

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hopefuly Scott Claytons good relationship with us persuades him to look elsewhere.
    You would hope so and he did leave on excellent terms with the club so I doubt he will specifically target any of our players.

Post Thanks / Like

on the contrary, he is there to build a successful list and keep his job, if that means he taps into our list, i fully expect him to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Or perhaps the player managers will just say, "nope, we'll wait until 2010 thanks".
    Considering Clayton has already begun talks, that's likely what we'll see with a few players.

Look out for one year contracts from this point forward. Might be a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, in contract negotiations, if a team is on the up (like Hawthorn or Geelong or Dogs) they have a bargaining chip with the player in offering them the chance of potentially playing in a dynasty side, even if they don't earn as much as they may have with GC17.

Frankly, if a player doesn't want to sign up on the clubs' terms with regard to the years of the contract JUST BECAUSE of the chance to make more money with GC17, I'd tell them to take a hike and go play VFL. Ask them how much they think they can command after a couple of years out of the system.

It's a no-lose proposition for any club to play hard ball with their players now -- if they sign up all well and good, if they don't they'll be gone in a year or two anyway so why bother putting any more development dollars into them on behalf of GC17? Just delist them mid-season or stick them in VFL reserves to rot.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand its only uncontracted players than can be grabbed - sort of like GC having the first 16 picks in the pre season draft?

Even then, I'd think that the likes of Riewoldt would ask to be traded (out of loyalty to the Saints) so he'd likely earn the Saints a high draft pick.

So I wouldn't think we'd see much more than what we do in a normal PSD with perhaps a couple more quality players sliding through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc013 View Post
    From what I understand its only uncontracted players than can be grabbed - sort of like GC having the first 16 picks in the pre season draft?
    Yes, but I believe there is a compensation formula involved.

Based on years at club, original draft pick, value to side etc. the side will be compensated with a a relevant draft pick. So in the event that Nick Riewoldt left as an uncontracted player, St.Kilda would get another first round pick. That draft is going to be the most confusing draft ever. Just random picks everywhere.