Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony Liberatore booted out at Whitten Oval

Hmmmmm Libba.....

The Herald Sun
    Damian Barrett | March 18, 2009

TONY Liberatore last night was turfed off the Whitten Oval by the Western Bulldogs staff after trying to use the ground as a training venue. A Whitten Oval employee said Liberatore and his squad arrived unannounced at the ground with his new team, West Footscray, at about 6pm and began warm-up drills.

The Bulldogs, who run the Whitten Oval on behalf of the Footscray community, were incensed as the ground was being used by about 60 locals, including schoolchildren, involved with an AFL Rec Footy group.

A Bulldogs official confronted the West Footscray group and told them the ground had been booked by Rec Footy.

The players and Liberatore, in his first year as coach of the Western Region Football League club, packed up their gear and departed.

Contacted last night about the incident involving Liberatore, a one-time favourite son at the Bulldogs, club CEO Campbell Rose said: "Look, we were a little surprised that he would attempt to use the Whitten Oval in this way without asking anyone, let alone booking it.

"Yes, one of our staff spoke to him and they left."

Liberatore has on several occasions criticised Rose, only last year saying he didn't think the CEO was right for the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tony Liberatore booted out at Whitten Oval

I was actually there for rec footy.
    Wondered why a squad of players were doing a lap.

Then they dissappeared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I was actually there for rec footy.
    Wondered why a squad of players were doing a lap.

Then they dissappeared.
    No need to wonder anymore Cyberdoggie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Hmmmmm Libba.....

The Herald Sun
    Damian Barrett | March 18, 2009

TONY Liberatore last night was turfed off the Whitten Oval by the Western Bulldogs staff after trying to use the ground as a training venue. A Whitten Oval employee said Liberatore and his squad arrived unannounced at the ground with his new team, West Footscray, at about 6pm and began warm-up drills.

The Bulldogs, who run the Whitten Oval on behalf of the Footscray community, were incensed as the ground was being used by about 60 locals, including schoolchildren, involved with an AFL Rec Footy group.

A Bulldogs official confronted the West Footscray group and told them the ground had been booked by Rec Footy.

The players and Liberatore, in his first year as coach of the Western Region Football League club, packed up their gear and departed.

Contacted last night about the incident involving Liberatore, a one-time favourite son at the Bulldogs, club CEO Campbell Rose said: "Look, we were a little surprised that he would attempt to use the Whitten Oval in this way without asking anyone, let alone booking it.

"Yes, one of our staff spoke to him and they left."

Liberatore has on several occasions criticised Rose, only last year saying he didn't think the CEO was right for the club.
    We might play like school children, but I'm certain this statement is incorrect.

Or perhaps there might be a couple of year 11's or 12's, but certainly no kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard Libba briefly on SEN this morning talking about it -- a misunderstanding and totally a non-issue (in my opinion). Like he said, must be a slow news week.

Post Thanks / Like

So he just potters on the ground without even contacting the club?

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting if we take his son in the draft, or don't take him. I'm sure there will be a comment made either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Will be interesting if we take his son in the draft, or don't take him. I'm sure there will be a comment made either way.
    I think his son has a lot of ability and I'd like to see him at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think his son has a lot of ability and I'd like to see him at the club.
    Good news then, personally I have no idea of his ability, I just hope Tony doesnt voice his concerns on what the coaching staff should or should not be doing through the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Good news then, personally I have no idea of his ability, I just hope Tony doesnt voice his concerns on what the coaching staff should or should not be doing through the media.
    I'd be confident that Tony would make sure that his sons interests are the main priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We might play like school children, but I'm certain this statement is incorrect.

Or perhaps there might be a couple of year 11's or 12's, but certainly no kids.
    I'm in year 12 and I'm pretty sure I was one of the youngest to play this season. I wondered who they were last night, they disappeared pretty quickly though.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe he's coaching West Footscray as i'd heard they have no $$. There must be something in this for Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Can't believe he's coaching West Footscray as i'd heard they have no $$. There must be something in this for Libba.
    A few good friends down at West.