Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Peak mythology for Western Bulldogs

Mike Sheahan article...

Peak mythology for Western Bulldogs
    The Herald Sun
    Mike Sheahan | March 23, 2009

AFTER Round 15 last year, the Bulldogs were second on the ladder, half a game behind Geelong, and half a game in front of Hawthorn. They were to play 10 more games for the season, including three finals. Only three more wins came.

Did the Doggies peak too soon? Or were fundamental deficiencies exposed when the big boys got serious?

That's the question that will be answered during the next six months.

In the end, the Dogs were flattered by third spot last year, pounded by Hawthorn in the first week of finals, then eliminated by Geelong by five goals in the preliminary finals.

I like the list, with one reservation: the forward structure.

The Bulldogs' leading goalkickers last year were Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis, Scott Welsh and Robert Murphy (total 176).

The first three are all in their 30s, while Murphy has a proppy knee and probably won't play the first round or two.

The knee remains a major concern. We won't know how serious it is until the season is 4-6 weeks old.

Welsh clearly is a worry in front of goal.

He kicked 26 goals from his first 12 games last year, 17 from the second 12. His three finals produced two goals.

The Doggies would have been happy pre-season with a 43-goal recruit, but his form tapered badly.

Rodney Eade's reported off-season interest in Barry Hall is understandable.

If the fairy godmother turned her affections on Whitten Oval, she would deliver a power forward. Even if just a fill-in for first-round draftee Jarrad Grant, who turns 20 in July and is in his second year at the club.

On the upside, Welsh has recovered from a back problem and is a smart, seasoned performer.

Eade will point to 2008 and say the team's problem isn't at the front end. Only Geelong scored more heavily than the Doggies in the home-and-away season.

That fact, though, is a little misleading.

The style of play is geared to high scoring, with the bulk of the players keen to take risks.

When there's a skill error, the opposition surges forward to an open forward line and one-on-one contests.

No wonder Brian Lake and his mates get exposed.

I am a Lake fan. He generally ends up one out, playing on the good players, and sharing the most dangerous forwards with Dale Morris.

How Lake missed a place in the top 10 in the B&F is as mysterious as the occasional decision that sends the coach into a state of apoplexy.

The division that could determine the fate of the season is the midfield.

Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen and Shaun Higgins add polish to a group built on the hard work of Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd, first and third in the 2008 best-and-fairest, and ruckman Ben Hudson.

Cooney may need a week or two to sharpen his skills after an interrupted preparation, but his pace is undiminished.

While I have been critical of him in recent months, he is a goalkicking matchwinner.

I am excited about Griffen.

At 22 and with 75 games to his name, he is ready.

It's a similar story with Higgins, who is younger and has played just 32 games. He will wear Scott West's No. 7 guernsey, which shows what the club thinks of him.

His determination to improve his endurance is a good sign.

The Bulldogs could further beef up the midfield by bringing Lindsay Gilbee up from defence.

Gilbee might be the best field kick in the competition. He kicked 14 goals last year; he could kick 35-40 as a midfielder.

Tim Callan could take his spot in defence.

While I have left Nathan Eagleton out of my "best" team, he will play games because of his experience, pace and long (if not always accurate) kicking.

He looked finished at the end of '08, but has shown a strong determination to hang on.

Two others players demand comment: Brad Johnson and Tom Williams.

Jonno finished top three in the best-and-fairest seven times from 1999-2007, an extraordinary achievement, yet laboured through much of last year.

His pre-season has been excellent, with every indication he can return to somewhere near his best.

As for Williams, it's fingers crossed from everyone of red, white and blue persuasion.

Surely his luck must change soon. He has everything to be a high-quality player except resilience.

The Doggies seem driven by their disappointing finals series and have worked hard between seasons.

Given their draw, they should make a flying start. Whether they can run out the season remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peak mythology for Western Bulldogs

Flattered by 3rd spot?

Didn't we win enough games? Fool.

Meanwhile, this is such a negative view. Across the board we could see major upside from:

Hill
    Harbrow
    Williams
    Everitt
    Griffen
    Higgins
    Ward

And that's without speculating that Grant might play some games or Cooney could improve even more.

Post Thanks / Like

This guy is a dick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think he raises some valid points.

We have to remember that we were absolutely crushed by the Hawks. We did turn it around and play better against the Swans and Geelong, but we still have a bit of work to do to close the gap.

Our aging forward structure is of big concern, if any of Johnson, Welsh or Akermanis break down for long periods, or Murphy struggles after an interrupted pre-season, we aren't looking THAT great up forward.

I disagree with his final point though. We have had a few miss pre-seasons, and a lot of travel to open the year up. I tend to think we'll start slowly and build towards September.

Anyway, not long till we find out now.

Post Thanks / Like

"In the end, the Dogs were flattered by third spot"

Then how come I cant think of another team that came close enough to taking third spot? St. Kilda madde it to top eight, let alone top four by a fluke.

The first couple of lines of the article pissed me right off. He makes it sound like Geelong destroyed us that last game? ARGHHHHHHGHGHGHAGHARHG.

Post Thanks / Like

"Jonno finished top three in the best-and-fairest seven times from 1999-2007, an extraordinary achievement, yet laboured through much of last year."

This really shits me.

Paul Medhurst kicked 50 goals in 2008 and the were calling for him to make All Australian squad.

Johnno kicked 50 goals in 2008 and he laboured through much of the year.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's pretty much spot on with that assessment, the way we finished off last season was poor, we did win enough games early on to gives us an opprtunity to finish top 4, and we did, but it was like we knew we did enough and took the foot off the pedal from around round 15 onwards.

We beat the Hawks during the season down at Tassie which was a good win, yet on the big stage, MCG friday night, finals footy, they made us look like a bottom 4 side, as a member i was angry by our performance that night.

Fortunatly we outclassed Sydney and gave Geelong a run for their money, although, we had the opportunity to win that game, but couldn't kick straight.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its got it down well also..

The confusing thing for me was the last line

'Given their draw, they should make a flying start. Whether they can run out the season remains to be seen.'

Im not expecting a Flying Start...im quite looking forward to getting the first 5 rounds over and done with.. 2 Trips to perth, game against Kangaroos (play them after perth nearly every year) and then Carlton again coming off a Perth trip..Flying Start? Im expecting a sluggish start, especially with Murphy,Coons,Williams all starting off slow.