Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Will Cam Wight play 22 home & away games?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he will be our biggest improver

8 61.54%
  • No, he is still too raw to play every game

5 38.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Cam Wight play every home & away game this season?

Barring injury of course.

I like the way he finished off 2006. Reminds me of Cross finishing off 2004 - young player, not hugely rated as a teenager, but seems to work hard on endurance to establish himself in the team, then work on the other aspects of his game.

May have been drafted as a ruckman, but CHB seems to be his position.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Cam Wight play every home & away game this season?

No.

IMO he's not physically nor mentally ready to play 22+ games at this stage.

I think he'll play 16+ games though.

Because he's only a young player still maturing, I think it'd be only natural for the tall, skinny kid to have a drop in form and thus perhaps to re-capture some in Werribee.

It's a big year for him, but I don't think we'll see him play all of them. Others will impress whilst, IMO, he'll struggle at times.

All in all, I still have high expectations for Wight and certainly do hope to see him play the large majority of games.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bulldogs Bite is fairly close to the mark. My guess is about 14 games. Given he has been injured most seasons I don't think we can expect much more than 14 games. Even that might be a stretch.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Give it 2 years and we will be almost as excited about Cam (as a defender) as we are about Mr Boyd and Mr Griffen.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries are clearly one of the key things for Wight. If he can keep fit and healthy I reckon he's a good chance to play every game. While I reckon his form will oscillate, his versatility and speed gives us a lot as he can play on quite a few types. His development is pretty important for us so I reckon he'll be given a few chances. And he doesn't have a heap of people competing with him for a spot this season. Williams hopefully will towards the end of the season and maybe McDougall or Skipper might put their hand up, but we'd prefer Hargrave, Morris and Grant to not have to play chb (or fb) if possible I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be at all suprised if he played every game he was available for. His game will take off once he gets a few good performances under his belt. Just crying out for a shot of confidence. His courage could be his undoing with regards to injury. Tends to put himself in some dangerous situations.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he'll play every game this year. His fitness is up there with the best at the club, and his determination last year was excellent. Think Wight's in for a big year.

Post Thanks / Like

Will his success come down to what Eade wants to do with McDougall and to a lesser extent if he plans to play both Minson and Street?

My guess is that if he intends to play the three guys mentioned above then Wight could slide down the pecking order. Street, Minson, McDougall, Darcy, Harris and Grant and our smaller tallish options like Hargrave and Morris might squeeze Wight out against some teams.

If the intention is to only play Minson and Darcy in the ruck and McDougall as a forward then Wight is very much in the mix.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

14 games.

He'll get rubbed out for 8 weeks for smashing Matthew Lloyd's head in.

Post Thanks / Like

As a few people have mentioned in this thread if he remains injury free he is a big chance to play the majority of the H & A season. Important year for him, would like to see him 'make it'.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone changing their opinion after today?

Barring injury of course
    Last edited by alwaysadog; 02-04-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Barring injury of course
    I think I said 14 games. Based on what I saw against the Cats he should surpass that. I did factor in that he is likely to miss a couple through injury though. Might be a chance to play as a foward as well.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Barring injury of course
    While one swallow does not a summer make, and one game doesn't make a season, this looked like a massive step up. What had worried me was that he had gone from a young player who had shown a bit to being considered a regular in one of the toughest possies on the ground. While I still think his body won't yet stand up to a full season, a few more games like yesterday and I'll be much less worried about our height in defence.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

I think the important thing to remember is, that he beat Ottens. Ottens is hopeless at the best of times, he shines every summer, and as soon as the real action starts, he shows his true self. He'll have 2 good games for the year where he'll destroy the games best defenders, and the rest of his year will be below poor.

I still think Wight was excellent, but let's not get too carried away due to quality of the opposition, and lack of good delivery they were receiving. If he was on Brown and Black was delivering the ball for example, different story. But small steps in the right direction is very positive, and I'm optimistic it will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    I think the important thing to remember is, that he beat Ottens. Ottens is hopeless at the best of times, he shines every summer, and as soon as the real action starts, he shows his true self. He'll have 2 good games for the year where he'll destroy the games best defenders, and the rest of his year will be below poor.

I still think Wight was excellent, but let's not get too carried away due to quality of the opposition, and lack of good delivery they were receiving. If he was on Brown and Black was delivering the ball for example, different story. But small steps in the right direction is very positive, and I'm optimistic it will continue.
    Ottens virtually won the game for Geelong last time we played them, so it was great to see Wight do so well.

I have big wraps for this guy, just needs a bit more muscle. Eade says he is the second fastest player on the list and he could play on the wing, not bad for some one 200cm