Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Umpires to crack down on hand gestures

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Except the contact seems to be happening at stoppages.
    Well it would, that's where there's the most players in a small area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Why? Because a suspension's genuinely deserved for his heinous crime?...or because he's a Pies player? What if it was Boyd, or Johnno?...Give 'em a week and cop it sweet you reckon?

Give me a freakin break.

Whoa, simmer down... just trying to have a little humour at Shaw's expense... I admit, I don't much like him (or the Pies)... if the same happened to any of our boys I'd be p****d off too. It was a ridiculous over-reaction...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Well it would, that's where there's the most players in a small area.
    Exactly, congestion punctuated with man-on-man contests breaking in all directions.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Whoa, simmer down... just trying to have a little humour at Shaw's expense... I admit, I don't much like him (or the Pies)... if the same happened to any of our boys I'd be p****d off too. It was a ridiculous over-reaction...
    Fair enough, the footy world rightly rejoices when misfortune befalls the Pies but the ire wasn't really aimed in your direction so much as those influencing the state of the game.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, the footy world rightly rejoices when misfortune befalls the Pies but the ire wasn't really aimed in your direction so much as those influencing the state of the game.
    just off topic, what does "l'enfer, c'est les autres" mean? I know les autres means "the others" or something similar..,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    just off topic, what does "l'enfer, c'est les autres" mean? I know les autres means "the others" or something similar..,
    Quick Google search indicates that it is "Hell is other people."

Post Thanks / Like

'Huis-clos' (No Exit) is a 1944 existentialist play by Jean-Paul Sartre, which is the source of perhaps Sartre's most famous quotation, "l'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people).

It's incidentally only a partial quote, the full line actually reads "Hell is other people, and a game of footy marred by the hands in the back rule."
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, congestion punctuated with man-on-man contests breaking in all directions.
    That's fine, just don't go in one direction, that is, behind where the umpire is backing out.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I think touching the umpire should be a free and so should insulting and aggressive behavior to the umpire. You can disagree with their decision being poor but they are the authority of the game and must be respected.

Its hardly their fault rules commitee make changes and add new one to a game which needs too many decision too often. No wonder they get it wrong so often. It doesn't help when your boss Gieschen is an idiot and you have 3 central umps all with different interpretations.

Post Thanks / Like

I just like to add to my comments, touching the ump is different to accidently contact with is almost inevitable in today's football. They are very precious over this.

Post Thanks / Like

And hand gestures? Surely a quiet word is all that is needed unless it is by a repeat or recalcitrant offender.

Our umps need a lesson in leadership and authority -- they will be respected when they behave like people deserving respect and treat all players with similar respect. Listening to them whinge and suck up to the glamour players while being touchy as all teak about the slightest perceived offense doesn't make them respectable, it makes them sooky-la-las, and that's when you need heavy-handed, little girl rulings from AFL HQ to enforce order.

They are becoming more of a joke all the time, and when I hear that the reason we need to 'protect' umpires is because there are young ones entering the system who can be intimidated, that's all I need to know about the calibre of people they are recruiting -- we need stronger characters, not more weedy types who become little nazis when given the smallest bit of authority over those they've always felt inferior to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Quick Google search indicates that it is "Hell is other people."
    Nice work, thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

'Huis-clos' (No Exit) is a 1944 existentialist play by Jean-Paul Sartre, which is the source of perhaps Sartre's most famous quotation, "l'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people).

Thanks....interesting....

It's incidentally only a partial quote, the full line actually reads "Hell is other people, and a game of footy marred by the hands in the back rule."
    Brilliant...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    And hand gestures? Surely a quiet word is all that is needed unless it is by a repeat or recalcitrant offender.

Our umps need a lesson in leadership and authority -- they will be respected when they behave like people deserving respect and treat all players with similar respect. Listening to them whinge and suck up to the glamour players while being touchy as all teak about the slightest perceived offense doesn't make them respectable, it makes them sooky-la-las, and that's when you need heavy-handed, little girl rulings from AFL HQ to enforce order.
    Well put. I hate they way they feel it's OK to be chummy with the players, but you can't go near them with a ten-foot pole. Calling a player by his nickname should be reserved for teammates, and of course rabid sideline supporters... but not the precious whistleblowers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I think touching the umpire should be a free and so should insulting and aggressive behavior to the umpire. You can disagree with their decision being poor but they are the authority of the game and must be respected.
    \.
    Agreed on aggressive or insulting behaviour. That stuff doesn't belong. But a hand on the arm isn't aggressive or insulting. Nor is pointing at your eyes. I know they're kind of hamstrung (bad pun!) by the stupid rule-makers.